The Planted Tank Forum banner

XP3 and outflow

4K views 38 replies 16 participants last post by  snakebite 
#1 ·
I hooked up my xp3 and was very disappointed with the outflow. This filter is rated at 350 gph not including media and an inline hydor heater about a foot or two from the exit of the canister so minus 50 gph or so. I do not have a spraybar and I felt the outflow and barely felt the pressure of the water 2"- 3" away. Everyone swears by them so did I actually hook it up incorrectly?

#36 ·
Thanks for verifying dmagerl! Any issues with outflow pressure and what size tank are you using it on?

I'm on the edge of purchasing a new xp3 but worried that the flow might be the same as the current one I have. I can't compare this filter because I never had one before but if people are using it on 75g + I'm sure there should be plenty of flow for a 40g. The spraybar is useless, and even though I put it about 4" below the water surface the flow barely trickles the top.

#39 ·
Took the valve assembly off and found this...

Called the lfs to get another one. I put the new one on but the results are the same. I'm pretty disappointed with the output from Rena/filstar and their XP3. It looks like I have to put an ugly powerhead in the tank just so the water circulates. I might just get another canister filter. If I use a cerge Co2 reactor, I'm sure the flow will decrease even more.

Thanks to everyone who try to assist and the members who PMed me regarding this issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.