The Planted Tank Forum banner

XP3 and outflow

4K views 38 replies 16 participants last post by  snakebite 
#1 ·
I hooked up my xp3 and was very disappointed with the outflow. This filter is rated at 350 gph not including media and an inline hydor heater about a foot or two from the exit of the canister so minus 50 gph or so. I do not have a spraybar and I felt the outflow and barely felt the pressure of the water 2"- 3" away. Everyone swears by them so did I actually hook it up incorrectly?

#3 ·
I've read nothing but good things about the xp3. People using it on other tanks larger than 40g but after hooking it up there was no way this thing was going to filter my 40g. No water circulation at all, and the intake valve barely sucked anything up. I think one of the issue with this canister filter is the water level stops about an 1" short from the top. I saw a youtube video where the owner unclamps one of the clips and lets the water fill up to the top then clips it back. I'll try that and see what happens.

Any advice from xp3 owners will be appreciated.

#4 ·
Hook up the spraybar, it's pretty deceiving with just an open tube, that's how I run my 2026, one side of my tank has a spraybar on 2217 the other side is just a gentle current to help with the circular flow from the 2026. There was way too much current in the tank this way so I came up with that solution and it works great!

#6 ·
You might try it with the Jet nozzle installed. You should feel it then or, lift it out of the water and you should see obvious flow. I have an XP3 and it doesn't feel strong with an open nozzle. Especially since it has a CO2 Reactor on the output. But when I drain water during a water change, I keep the XP3 running and the output noise will be annoying when its below water level. :)

#8 ·
I need some assistance folks. I haven't had the filter running for acouple days now. Plugged her in lastnight and no intake or outflow pressue, water just stays in the canister. Checked all connections and everything seems to be air tight.

Any ideas?

#11 ·
Propeller is working...what I did is disconnect the clip and slightly lift it up to here if it's working propertly. I tried to tilt the canister to try and minimize air pockets and unclip one side to have the water fill all the way to the top, still nothing...

I have an inline heater on my Rena and I still have to restrict the flow because of the power it puts out.

Try these to see if it will help:

Make sure there is water in the inflow hoses. Lift the handle on the quick disconnect and re-fill. I would also recommend putting some pipe thread tape on the inflow cap threads to help prevent air from entering.

If that doesn't work remove the motor housing from the top of the canister shell and check the motor propeller. Turn the motor upside down and give the cover about a half turn to get it open and you will be able to see the propeller--remove and clean. After you put it back in you should be able to turn the propeller about a half a turn pretty easily if I'm not mistaken.

If it still doesn't work you can call Rena tech support at 1-800-847-0649
I'll give this a try, it seems like I'm having no luck with this xp3. I guess my last resort is to call tech support. I rather try to address the issue with this once instead of purchasing another xp3. This is the only delay right now to getting my tank setup and it seems like I'm not going anywhere with it.

#10 ·
I have an inline heater on my Rena and I still have to restrict the flow because of the power it puts out.

Try these to see if it will help:

Make sure there is water in the inflow hoses. Lift the handle on the quick disconnect and re-fill. I would also recommend putting some pipe thread tape on the inflow cap threads to help prevent air from entering.

If that doesn't work remove the motor housing from the top of the canister shell and check the motor propeller. Turn the motor upside down and give the cover about a half turn to get it open and you will be able to see the propeller--remove and clean. After you put it back in you should be able to turn the propeller about a half a turn pretty easily if I'm not mistaken.

If it still doesn't work you can call Rena tech support at 1-800-847-0649

#13 ·
  • Pulled the prime handle up
  • Loosen the cap from the intake
  • Pour water until tube is full
  • Tighten cap on intake
  • Push prime handle back down

Last week when I primed the filter without turning it on, the water will circulate(Water sucked into intake and out the outflow) but now it doesn't go anywhere. I try to back track my steps but I can't find the issue and pretty much given up.

Anything I missed?

#17 ·
Out of curiosity, how did the vasoline help?

Video of setting up the Rena XP.

http://www.rena.net/videos/filstar-xp.html

Do you have any sagging of your tubes? That might be a problem.
I think I watched every available xp3 video on youtube. No sagging tubes, initially when I first recieved the filter I had sagging tubes but I didn't have any issues then. Last night, I cut the tube to try and maybe resolve the issue to see if that may be the issue but it wasnt.

I have a XP 2 on my 45 G tank with all kinds of flow, to much to be honest, sounds like you have a issue with your XP 3. maybe try to run your XP with out the inline heater and see what happens. good luck
I also tried to run the filter without the inline heater, same thing...I even tried to start it in my bathtub and still nothing.

_ _ _ _ _ _

I'm overwhelmed with all the help, I appreciate everyone chiming in and trying to resolve this matter! :proud:

#16 ·
I have a XP 2 on my 45 G tank with all kinds of flow, to much to be honest, sounds like you have a issue with your XP 3. maybe try to run your XP with out the inline heater and see what happens. good luck

#21 ·
Well, it's working...sort of. There was a prime(?) hole that was open on the motor. I had a plug laying around that I didn't know where it was suppose to go. The plug is in bad shape, for now I just taped it, plugged the hole and the system started working!

Does anyone know if the hole on the motor about dime size suppose to be plug? It's not on the bottom it's actually on the side.

I thought it didn't matter but I think that may be the reason why the intake and outflow is pretty weak. I put the four layer sponge at the top, seeing a few Rena videos it says to put it at the bottom. It's a little too late to mess around with it but will try again tomorrow.

#22 ·
All of my Rena XPs (I have an XP1, XP2, and XP3) have the black plug in one of the side holes on the motor. They all had the plug in one of the holes when I purchased them. Never thought that would stop the flow but I see where it could.

The XPs do flow bottom to top so you do want to put your course sponges low and the finer ones higher. I really don't think it matters where you put other media. I've tried different set-ups and never noticed any differences in performance.

#23 ·
Picture provided by bsmith

This is how the trays are setup -

Bottom tray went into the bottom, top left tray went into the middle and top right tray went on the top.

There is no leak in the holes, so everything should be air tight. I would think the top tray with the sponges will restrict suction flow, other than that it could also be the rotor impeller or orings need to be replaced.

I'll get some videos up tonight of how weak the spray bar is.

#27 ·
After rearranging media trays, I got better flow but didn't do well with the spraybar either.

If you take a look at the picture below you can see the intake hole on the left then the output hole on the right. I was referring to the black plug on the output.

IMO .....Your trays are pack solid there, also those sponges would be a big issue with flow, think I would just stay with just Rena's Bio stars or ceramic rings.

like the other poster stated you must have The Rens's course filters on the very bottom tray & not the top tray....

on my Xp 2 I have the 2 course Rena filters on the bottom tray with 12 Rena Bio stars on top of the course filters, then on my top tray I have a small bag of JBL ceramic rings and then the Polishing filter on top.

I get great flow. I also clean the Rena about every 3 weeks as I can not go any longer than that.....it gets pretty dirty.

Good luck
Moved the sponge tray to the bottom, the result is better flow but still not to its potential. I'll try removing a basket of rocks and use ceramic rings in one tray.

Maybe I'm just expecting too much from this xp3. I still don't see how this could filter larger tanks when there's barely any circulation/filteration in my 40g.

#25 ·
IMO .....Your trays are pack solid there, also those sponges would be a big issue with flow, think I would just stay with just Rena's Bio stars or ceramic rings.

like the other poster stated you must have The Rens's course filters on the very bottom tray & not the top tray....

on my Xp 2 I have the 2 course Rena filters on the bottom tray with 12 Rena Bio stars on top of the course filters, then on my top tray I have a small bag of JBL ceramic rings and then the Polishing filter on top.

I get great flow. I also clean the Rena about every 3 weeks as I can not go any longer than that.....it gets pretty dirty.

Good luck

#26 ·
I had the same problem with one of my XP3s a couple of weeks ago. The flow could be low or high or none at all. I found that one of the nylon balls in the shut off valve was not rotating with the leaver. Ended up purchasing a new valve assembly which I did not use. If you need one contact me by PM.

jnunn

#32 ·

Can anyone confirm if the top right hole is suppose to be plugged? It looks like that hole goes right to the rotor impeller.

Impeller has no visual crack.

Try running the Rena with empty media baskets. If the flow improves you've got the baskets packed to tight. If the flow stays the same there is another problem.
There's another problem...

Took a basket and a half full of rocks out and still the same flow.

When I get home, I'm going to check the valve assembly(?). A member suggested to check that out. Sheesh, what could it be or is this all the power this xp3 has?

#30 ·
Honestly I think you have things packed too tight. You need water movement through the filter baskets. It's like trying to push water through a plastic bag with pin sized holes. It isn't going to work well. You need to allow some space in between the media and the baskets. If that doesn't work I would call Rena. I've never had a problem with my XP3 and like Rob in I have to clean mine every 3 weeks and the water I dump out is brown as dirt!

#31 ·
Try running the Rena with empty media baskets. If the flow improves you've got the baskets packed to tight. If the flow stays the same there is another problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.