Cost to build, double stage system - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Cost to build, double stage system

a lot of hobbyists bought the Parker Hannifin H3L high precision metering valve and the burkert 2822 low power consumption stainless steel solenoid valve, and I think it is a good idea to reveal the cost detail so anyone in the process or want to build a set, can spend wisely.

here is the cost detail of below system. you will have good idea how much you need to spend to build such system yourself, but please don't make it a standard because your ability to find parts, parts cost, the risk of getting defective parts, the material to build, and the TOOLS, .... all are part of actual/final cost.

actual raw material cost:
Regulator, Parker Hannifin M2, $40, shipping $15
CGA 320 nipple and nut, $5, shipping/handling $3.
solenoid, numatic 1.5 watt stainless steel, $18, shipping/handling about $3 each solenoid
manifold, $5, shipping handling about $2 for each manifold
24V DC power adapter for the solenoid, about $5
Parker Hannifin H3L metering valve, $25, shipping/handling $3
JBJ bubble counter, $12
pipe fittings, washers, terminal connectors, teflon tape, loctite threadlock sealant,.. about $10

Total is around $146, (add all numbers together from above)

Hidden Risk/Cost:
The used double stage regulators we can get are all $500-$1000+ in retail as new, but we actually pay for only about 1/10 of that new retail, so EXPECT risk of getting defective units(because they are cheap used)!
From personal experience, after a series of different steps of testing that runs up to two weeks, the failed/defective units are about 30%, the remaining 70% are full functional units.

Capital/operational Cost:
mainly tools. bench vise, torque wrench, drill, tap, ... all kind of wired stuff and expenses for the purpose of the build. Can be really expensive! personal experience

labor cost:
cost nothing if you build the system for yourself, but how many hours spent, could be calculated: the hours it took you to learn, to find/buy parts, and finally to put the parts together.

Last edited by Bettatail; 11-01-2012 at 08:01 AM. Reason: add info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 04:10 AM
Planted Member

Dont forget the cost of the co2 tank itself...which can vary greatly depending on size. (I would say roughly $50-$100 + fill up)...I left that part of the equation out during my build
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 07:23 AM
Algae Grower

Awesome post bettatail! Oldpunk is helping me piece together my first custom build and directed me towards the current deals on burkert 2822s solenoids and parker h3l metering valves (saw your post too!) It really is an amazing deal so I ended up getting both.

Had a few quick questions I was hoping you could answer though...
- Where did you get the chrome 320 CGA stem/nut for $8?
- I already ordered the burkert 2822, but now I have no idea where to buy the power adapter... I have a burkert 6011 with a powercord attached. Do they have something similar to that but in 24v dc?
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

first of all, I think Oldpunk should charge you consulting fee, information is not free, lol.

The CGA is 6061 aluminum alloy, I believe the current seller is out of stock. you can get a brass CGA set or the higher price chrome plated, oldpunk knows the source of the chrome plated CGA320, it is around $15.
the second question about the solenoid and the Parker metering valve, you can check the link in my signature, metering valve selection thread.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 12:40 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettatail View Post
chrome plated CGA320, it is around $15.
http://www.jandrweldingsupply.com/st.../SpecMenu.html

Look under Accessories in the left hand menu bar and click "CGA Parts, Tube Fittings, Replacement Gauges"

If you had to identify, in one word, the reason why the human race has not achieved, and never will achieve, its full potential, that word would be "meetings." —Dave Barry
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 07:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
CGA 320 nipple and nut, $5, shipping/handling $3.
That's cheap for a chrome.
Where did you get that?
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostro View Post
http://www.jandrweldingsupply.com/st.../SpecMenu.html

Look under Accessories in the left hand menu bar and click "CGA Parts, Tube Fittings, Replacement Gauges"
I don't think it is from this source, they are selling at retail price.

The J and DR welding supply has been mentioned a lot of times, but I never get anything from them because they offer the items at retail instead of industrial wholesaler price.

I am sure my supplier carry the Chrome CGA320 but never bother to ask, because I use 6061 aluminum alloy CGA320(from evil bay).

sorry, can't show my source from where to get the brass or stainless steel CGA, and my supplier doesn't take any order if quantity is less than 20 sets.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by herns View Post
That's cheap for a chrome.
Where did you get that?
it is not chrome, it is 6061 aluminum alloy.
from evil bay, but I don't think the seller selling them at this time, may be out of stock.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 10:52 PM

Wouldn't mixing aluminum with stainless steel (and for that matter, brass) cause galvanic action resulting in eventual break down of the aluminum?

Anthony

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

It is aluminum alloy, grade 6061.
Regular alumium is not up to the standard, but most aluminum alloy are ok, with different grade of hardness.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 12:13 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
I don't think it is from this source, they are selling at retail price.

The J and DR welding supply has been mentioned a lot of times, but I never get anything from them because they offer the items at retail instead of industrial wholesaler price.

I am sure my supplier carry the Chrome CGA320 but never bother to ask, because I use 6061 aluminum alloy CGA320(from evil bay).

sorry, can't show my source from where to get the brass or stainless steel CGA, and my supplier doesn't take any order if quantity is less than 20 sets.
Well then, J&R looks like a good source for us mere mortals. I got my nut and nipple needs met there (been waiting for a chance to use that phrase). If you have a better source, post it up.

If you had to identify, in one word, the reason why the human race has not achieved, and never will achieve, its full potential, that word would be "meetings." —Dave Barry
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 02:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
it is not chrome, it is 6061 aluminum alloy.
from evil bay, but I don't think the seller selling them at this time, may be out of stock.
Thats probably cheaper than chrome. How much did you pay for it?
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 03:48 AM
Algae Grower

Who nickle or chrome plated your JBJ BC?

That sure is a very nice looking regulator assembly for less than $175!
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 03:57 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by clang View Post
Who nickle or chrome plated your JBJ BC?

That sure is a very nice looking regulator assembly for less than $175!
That thing is aluminum I think.

What would Honey Badger do?
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpunk78 View Post
That thing is aluminum I think.
+1, it is DIZI bubble counter, actual manufacture wholesale price is $5-$6 a piece, but with 100 as minimum order, talked to the owner of manufacture last year...
Ended up didn't get any because did't need 100 pieces and the manufacture doesn't handle the logistic supply, had to find a third party shipper to import, nightmare of logistic supply.
So I got it from evil bay for about $12 a piece.
The same manufacture actually spcecialize in making automobile, industrial/automation valves, a small department of this corporation making the bubble counters, stainless steel tube, diffusers, and of course, the Miniature but troublesome DIZI. CO2 regulator.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode