Cost to build, double stage system - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 06:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

Bettatail you built me a set up a month or so ago. Of course I was overwhelmed with info. Now that I've been able to see it and understand a lot more in thinking I want to upgrade to a dual stage myself do I don't have a co2 dump at the end of my tank what can we do with this?

Ps. I still have not taken it out of the box because I still am building my reactors. Can I trade back + cash for a dual stage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

sure, but please bring it to pm, it is against TPT policy to post the sale related topic here.

and before you switch to double stage, I want to make it clear, I don't against single stage systems, and I think your current setup is fine, the stainless steel regulator is a high quality Parker Hannifin IR4000 series, $500-$600 retail...

here is a recent pm that I answer one of the TPT member.

Quote:
End of tank dump is rare,

and it only cause trouble due to some certain condition.
1. not enough aeration
2. original co2 injection was at high level
3. the output pressure setting on the regulator is LOW.
4. a regulator failure
5. user error

all single stage regulators have OUTPUT PRESSURE RISE, but seldom cause trouble, because the output pressure rise is about 0.1psi for every 100 psi input pressure drop, and a low quality one, is about 0.5psi for every 100 psi. either case, output pressure rise can never be a big number.
If everything is setting up right in the first place for a quality unit, due to output pressure rise, you will still have excess co2 injection while the co2 tank pressure dropping, to fix this problem, is all about the #3. keep the output pressure above 30+ psi, the excess co2 injection is a really small percentage when the co2 tank pressure dropping.

#4 are actually the main cause of fish death, the low quality regulators have trouble to respond to the slowly dropping pressure due to none responsive diaphragm or poppet valve spring, and cause large amount of co2 "rushing".

I don't against single stage systems, but only criticize the quality of some units, because EOTD is like shark bite, scary but only less than 60 people got killed within a decade...

search the forum "output pressure rise bettatail", you will see more detail info about what I see the EOTD, and what is the difference between the double stage and single stage systems.
I admit I am wrong on the part that less than 60 fatality within a decade, the actual fatal rate is much less..

and I forgot to add that a needle or metering valve can act as a "manually controlled" pressure valve(control the flow volume of co2, which in turn affect the pressure differential), if the needle has less precision and orifice size changed by any reason, may cause excess co2 injection as well.

Last edited by Bettatail; 11-02-2012 at 10:12 AM. Reason: spell
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 08:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettatail View Post
.. my supplier doesn't take any order if quantity is less than 20 sets.
Maybe we can do group buy about it. 20 sets is easy to find.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by herns View Post
Maybe we can do group buy about it. 20 sets is easy to find.
no group buy, TPT policy.

1. most people can find it at where they get their co2 refill.
2. for bulk order, the price of each set is lower by not much, and plus the shipping to individuals, price will be the same or more than what you can get from your local welding supply store.
3. no time to run around and waste gas to take care of such group buy, if it doesn't conflict with TPT policy in the first place.

sorry, hern, I don't carry the 2 1/2" nipple or would send them to you, too much trouble to find a couple sets in low price but no welding supply store near where you live...
and try to save a little by shaking around the bush is not good idea, someone else may be kind enough to do it for you but it is actually a cost of time, gas and effort to send you the parts even if the parts don't cost them anything.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 06:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
Wouldn't mixing aluminum with stainless steel (and for that matter, brass) cause galvanic action resulting in eventual break down of the aluminum?
misunderstood your question in previous answer

the parker M2 regulator is not the stainless steel, and for double stage SS regulators, I use SS CGA320.
but still, stainless steel to stainless steel contact, the galvanic action(it is galling) still happen as stainless steel with aluminum.
answer is teflon tape, no direct(or minimize) stainless steel to stainless steel or stainless steel to alumnium contact if wrap enough teflon tape on the NPT connection threads/ports.

Last edited by Bettatail; 04-16-2013 at 08:51 AM. Reason: correction
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 09:57 PM
Algae Grower

where can I find that stainless steel solenoid?
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 11:23 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cab123 View Post
I just did a search on that auction site and they appear to be gone.

What would Honey Badger do?
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cab123 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpunk78 View Post
I just did a search on that auction site and they appear to be gone.
The seller will usually re-list within 2-3 days. At least that is what happened the last few times.

Anthony

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 10:16 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

MODERATOR NOTE- Guys, you can discuss a product, but do NOT turn this thread into a vendor review or a sales thread or we will remove the thread.

Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 12:09 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
The seller will usually re-list within 2-3 days. At least that is what happened the last few times.
Surprisingly they're still available. It doesn't make sense to buy another as a spare, right? Then I'd have to get another regulator, and another valve, and more stainless fittings...

If you had to identify, in one word, the reason why the human race has not achieved, and never will achieve, its full potential, that word would be "meetings." óDave Barry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode