FABCO NV-55 and U.P. Aqua Simple Regulator - The Planted Tank Forum

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
HunterX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Springfield MO
Posts: 396
FABCO NV-55 and U.P. Aqua Simple Regulator

Anyone have any ideas on how to connect a FABCO NV-55 with 10-32 x 1/8" hose barb to an U.P. Aqua Simple Regulator.

If possible I don't want to use the hose barbs. I'd rather use a more solid connection.
HunterX is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 01:39 AM
Plant Clown
 
kevmo911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 4,672
You'd have to remove the outlet. It's probably sealed in, so it's gonna take some serious Hulking out. But once you do that, a simple 1/8 to 10-32 adapter, and a 10-32 nipple, and you can attach the nv.

A couple things. One, the NV-55 can be mounted in either direction. Flow can go either way. Also, unless you use a stainless 10-32 nipple and Loctite (or some other sealant), it's going to be an extremely fragile connection. And if you do use the stainless nipple and Loctite, it's pretty much permanent. I'd do a WTB for the 10-32 stuff if nobody offers in this thread.

If it were me, knowing that I'll probably dump the simple reg within a year due to malfunction or frustration, or both, I'd use hose barbs and run the NV inline, and just tie the valve to something sturdy.
kevmo911 is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 01:40 AM
Algae Grower
 
oldpunk78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Anderson, CA
Posts: 6,381
Does it come with a needle valve with 1/8 threads? (your reg)

What would Honey Badger do?
oldpunk78 is offline  
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
HunterX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Springfield MO
Posts: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
You'd have to remove the outlet. It's probably sealed in, so it's gonna take some serious Hulking out. But once you do that, a simple 1/8 to 10-32 adapter, and a 10-32 nipple, and you can attach the nv.

A couple things. One, the NV-55 can be mounted in either direction. Flow can go either way. Also, unless you use a stainless 10-32 nipple and Loctite (or some other sealant), it's going to be an extremely fragile connection. And if you do use the stainless nipple and Loctite, it's pretty much permanent. I'd do a WTB for the 10-32 stuff if nobody offers in this thread.

If it were me, knowing that I'll probably dump the simple reg within a year due to malfunction or frustration, or both, I'd use hose barbs and run the NV inline, and just tie the valve to something sturdy.
How do you use it inline without blowing out the airline?
HunterX is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
HunterX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Springfield MO
Posts: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpunk78 View Post
Does it come with a needle valve with 1/8 threads? (your reg)
LOL I'm not real sure. I was hoping someone could tell me.
HunterX is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 01:56 AM
Plant Clown
 
kevmo911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 4,672
I just realized that I'm not totally sure that what you have is an actual regulator. If that's the case, don't use an NV-55 at all.

I'm assuming it's this:
http://www.amazon.com/U-P-Aqua-A-148.../dp/B005VS1GD6
kevmo911 is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
HunterX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Springfield MO
Posts: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
I just realized that I'm not totally sure that what you have is an actual regulator. If that's the case, don't use an NV-55 at all.

I'm assuming it's this:
http://www.amazon.com/U-P-Aqua-A-148.../dp/B005VS1GD6

Yup that is it? What should I do them? Thanks in advance for the help.
HunterX is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 02:01 AM
Algae Grower
 
oldpunk78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Anderson, CA
Posts: 6,381
Oooh... I think kevmo's right. You'll need a valve rated higher pressure probably.

What would Honey Badger do?
oldpunk78 is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 02:07 AM
Plant Clown
 
kevmo911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 4,672
If it's not an actual regulator, and just an on/off valve, then you can't run anything inline. You'll need to remove the outlet, as I said, and find a valve rated for 800 psi or better that will screw into a 1/8" NPT port. Except that I doubt you'll find anything that's much more precise than the included valve. So, in your shoes, assuming what you have isn't a real regulator (as in, it doesn't actually reduce the pressure - it only opens the valve a bit at a time), I'd just leave it as is. And upgrade when you get sick of it.
kevmo911 is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
HunterX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Springfield MO
Posts: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
If it's not an actual regulator, and just an on/off valve, then you can't run anything inline. You'll need to remove the outlet, as I said, and find a valve rated for 800 psi or better that will screw into a 1/8" NPT port. Except that I doubt you'll find anything that's much more precise than the included valve. So, in your shoes, assuming what you have isn't a real regulator (as in, it doesn't actually reduce the pressure - it only opens the valve a bit at a time), I'd just leave it as is. And upgrade when you get sick of it.
LOL I'm sick of it. I'm sick of the bubble rate fluctuating. Its perfect in the morning before work and almost no bubbles by the time I get home. GRRRRR
HunterX is offline  
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 02:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Bettatail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 2,530
it is just like the ASA paintball tank setup, not an automatic pressure regulated valve(regulator)

can't use solenoid or regular pressure rating needle/metering valve.
it is still be headache to adjust bubble rate if you can find a high pressure rating needle/metering valve, because the almost the 800psi pressure differential will make any high precision metering valve ugly.
Bettatail is offline  
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
HunterX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Springfield MO
Posts: 396
How do they sale it as a simply regulator? Grrr
HunterX is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome