Originally Posted by m.lemay
Actually No, not really. Ideally the resevoir should be set next to or behind the tank because the flow rate drops off dramatically as it drops down. That's why I scrapped the idea ,because I didn't want to see the resevoir.
Maybe one of those hang on the back refugiums would work perfectly for this pump.
Sean, if you wanna borrow the pump to experiment with it, I can send it over to ya. I'm so swamped at work, that I don't have time to mess with it right now. Send me a PM.
I am currently using this setup. I am using plastic 1 gallon milk jugs as my reservoirs. I drilled a hole in the cap to insert a piece of rigid air line tubing and a couple of tiny holes to allow air to enter as the liquid is pumped out. To the rigid airline tubing I have attached flexible airline tubing to the pumps input. I also used another short piece of airline tubing to connect to the pumps output and go thru a hole I drilled in my sump tanks lid.
My sump tank is a 20gallon high tank. The reservoir is sitting on the bottom of my 180gal display tank stand (so is the sump tank). The Aqua Lifter pumps is sitting on top of the sump tank's lid.
The pumps are plugged into a digital timer that can be set in 1min increments. I currently have the timer set to 2minutes per day.
From the floor of the stand to the pumps connector (the highest point) is 18".
At this height the pumps average flow rate is 90mL per minute. The flow rate is about 20% faster when the reservoir is full, and about 20% slower when the reservoir is near empty. At this flow rate I can mix about 15days worth of fertilizer with 3 Liters of water.
I used a measuring cup and a marker to mark my reservoir in 200mL increments. This makes calibrating and refilling it easier. I used a stop watch to measure the flow rate recording it as the fluid level passed each of my volume marks.
I'm done testing it with water, and have had it hooked up with actual fertilizer in the reservoir for just a few days. So far all is working well. However to play it safe I'm only putting 5 days worth of fertilizer in the reservoir at a time and checking it daily to monitor it. After I am satisfied with it's long term reliability, I'll add more fertilizer and check on it less often.