What brand of HOB Filter you use? - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 01:58 AM
Plant Clown

I love AC's, and currently run three of them. However, two of them have now had an issue with restarting after turning the power off for maintenance. For one of them, this is a 50/50 shot every time I unplug it, and I have to fiddle with it for a bit to get it to restart. For the other, it happened for the first time after an extended period of constant running (2+ months), and, as it was late, I let it go till morning. But it restarted on its own several hours later.

As much as AC's are commonly considered the gold standard in HOB's, this is not an uncommon issue with them. Next time (after using AC's as the last 5 HOB's I've used), I might try something new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 02:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I just checked out that Fluval C series filter and it looks pretty good. Anyone know what size that lift tube is?

Rod
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 02:02 AM
Algae Grower

Aqua clear all day long

Eheim pimp #517

Eheim 2126 thermofilter

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=187678
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 02:56 AM
Algae Grower

Aquaclear- works great out of the box, easy to change/add media to it . I have 2, my 10g Tang tank runs double sponge and Biomax with a prefilter sponge on the intake and spare sponge inside, 29g SA has sponge, peat, biomax and carbon (our water has some heavy metals-just a bit of extra ins.), prefilter sponge and spare. The AC 50 has been running for 7 years.

29g heavily planted SA: driftwood, Ram, Angel, Tetras
10g Tang: rock w/anubias, Caudpunk trio
8g Nuvo: Cherries, driftwood, java moss and fern
10g 3x divided Betta planted

Dana

LasVegas.Freshwater.Aquarists
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 03:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Aquaclear. They keep my tanks clean and you can customize the media in the filter. I've been running the same Aquaclear Mini I purchased over a decade ago without any problems. I even still have the original pink-labeled box (with the two-year guarantee on the front) in my room somewhere. Best HOB ever.

RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 04:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

I had an Aquaclear but it was loud! I'm thinking about buying another one and trying it out but the sound of the rattling it made before is scaring me away:/ I even lubed it with petro jelly.
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 05:41 AM
Planted Member

Yea I had the same problem with noise so I returned it. It was rattling pretty loudly much more so than my cheap came in a kit HOB. Couldn't believe the difference in noise. I really wanted an Aqua Clear but it seems this is a pretty common problem while searching online. People had to lube up the impeller with vaseline which some say is not a permanent solution. Also if remember right you really have to fill your water all the way to the top or you will get a loud waterfall noise. Not sure why the outflow is so short. Anyway I have a cheapo Top Fin filter.
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 05:58 AM
Wannabe Guru

To be honest I have had a hard time keeping the 3 Aqua-clears running smoothly throughout the time that I have had them. Mine always lose there siphon/prime after power shutdown and they have been loud at times. I have had a much better time with the cheap and simple Aqua-Tech HOB filters you can find at Walmart. I know it sounds crazy but I have had some of these for years and they run great. They restart after power outages and they won't quit on you no matter how long it takes you to actually run maintenance on them. I do not like the smaller ones but the 30-60 model one. They Aqua-techs can be a bit loud but Spending around $30 for a 250-300Gph power filter and having it last for a long time is pretty decent in my opinion.

I also have a couple Marineland Penguin Biowheel filters and they seem to be almost the same thing as the aqua-tech just with the (In my opinion) near worthless biowheel.

I do like the Marineland HOT Magnum canister filter. It is in the same price range as some of the more expensive hob powerfilters but it is built like a canister. Plus it has the ability to polish water.
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbn View Post
I had an Aquaclear but it was loud! I'm thinking about buying another one and trying it out but the sound of the rattling it made before is scaring me away:/ I even lubed it with petro jelly.
I remember when I first use my AC it was noisy. But, overtime the noise was gone.
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 07:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by herns View Post
I remember when I first use my AC it was noisy. But, overtime the noise was gone.
Mine got worse with age:O I had this filter over the span of 3 years.
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 11:20 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zefrik View Post
I also have a couple Marineland Penguin Biowheel filters and they seem to be almost the same thing as the aqua-tech just with the (In my opinion) near worthless biowheel.

The bio wheel is not worthless. It holds essential bacteria.

Eheim pimp #517

Eheim 2126 thermofilter

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=187678
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 03:48 PM
Planted Member

I am running five AquaClears right now!

RAOK Club #55
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 07:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmlampert23 View Post
The bio wheel is not worthless. It holds essential bacteria.
The amount of bacteria it holds is worthless XD

Someone did some scientific testing and proved it did not do a thing, I need to find the post.

*here we go*
http://www.aquarium-pond-answers.com...ally-work.html
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 09:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

CPR Aquatics cs500 and cs50 overflow
sunsun hw-402-b
aquaclear 20
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 11:25 PM
SCAPEr

I use aquaclear 30 and Aqueon quite 10.

The only thing I dislike about AC filter is their waterfall is too short. You have to keep water line up or else floaters will be blown around the tank.
And I LOVE floaters

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode