The Planted Tank Forum banner

Pressurized CO2 to two tanks?

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Rex Grigg 
#1 ·
My pressurized CO2 is running to my 29 gallon currently (Aqua Medic regulator and needle valve), but I'd like to also run some tubing into my 20 gallon in the next room.

Questions:
*Can I just get a T splitter and run a second line to the second tank without problem? I assume, since the second tank is smaller, I'd have to turn down the CO2 so as not to overdo it (thereby putting more CO2 than normal in one, and less than normal in the other), but I'm not sure.

*If I do need a second needle valve, is there a way to get an in-line valve? Or would I need to spring for a manifold of some kind?

*The line to the second tank has to travel about 20 feet (down into the crawlspace and up into the next room). Will this cause pressure problems in the line? If so, what would I need to counter it?

*I'm currently running the CO2 into the intake on a powerhead, which spits fine bubbles toward the HOB filter intake. Is this just stupid and inefficient? I like this set-up because of the added circulation and the ease of counting bubbles, but can spring for some Hagen bubble ramps if they'll be a significant improvement.

Thanks!

G

See less See more
#2 ·
For a 20 foot run you will want to run copper tubing. Or some high quality CO2 proof tubing. And you will need a second needle valve. You can get a needle valve adapted to in-line use. The Clippard that most of us use just needs a second barb to be used as such. For a run as long as your run will be you want the second needle valve to be as close to the tank as possible so in-line is the way to go. If you don't have a local Clippard distributor close to you then contact me and I can pick up what you need.

It sounds like your current method of diffusing the CO2 is not that efficient. To really know you would need to know your pH with the CO2 running and the pH without it running. Also your kH. Then you can use the CO2 chart and see just how much difference there is. But on first glance I can tell you it's probably not making a lot of difference.

#3 ·
Might be kinda hard to do given that the Aqua Medic needle valve is non removable. The bubble rate could never exceed that of the other tank.

Yes, you'll need a "T" and another needle valve. A Clippard MNV-4K2 with the proper fitting for inline use would work.

Foe a run that long I'd use copper tubing.

If you're seeing bubbles at the surface of the tank then you're loosing co2 to the atmosphere. A good co2 reactor works much better than running it into a filter. An external reactor is best since it doesn't take up space in the tank. You can make your own. Lots of plans out there.

#4 ·
If the Aqua Medic needle valve is non-removable then the best thing to do would be open it wide open, run the output into a manifold and then with two MORE needle valves control the tanks. You can get a four port manifold for around $5 so it's not really a big expense.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.