The Planted Tank Forum banner

I dont EVER want an Eheim! The Filstar PIMP club!!!!

89K views 737 replies 288 participants last post by  Greg0u812 
#1 ·
So i heard all this "hype" about the Eheim line of canister filters and almost gave in to getting the Eheim Ecco model but thankfully i did not... I went and got me a Filstar XP 2 for my 29 gallon aquarium, and i am left wondering.. how the hell can an Eheim really be that much better anyways? I have heard people say things about how the Filstar line of canister filters make noise where Eheims dont, yet i have turned off everything in my living room and got down with my ear right by my XP2 and i can barely hear anything at all! These filters are about as silent as you can get! I think my UV filter makes more noise! To add to it, my water has never been so clear before, its just absolutely amazingly clear, has absolutely no smell, and my plants seem to be pearling much much more than they used to. Also, i have noticed that the XP2 had everything i needed with it, it even had a spraybar! I thought that the filter would take me about an hour or longer to get together and working... it took me 5 minutes! And i had no leaks what so ever! The priming was so easy, all i had to do is poor a small glass of water into the tube through the syphon intake and then screw the little lid thingy back on, flip the switch down, and i was good to go! You cant get much more easier than that! Then if you have to clean the filter you just flip the switch up and it totally shuts the water off so i can just disconnect the assembly at the top and pick the filter up and do your cleaning. I am just so extremely happy with this filter, its a great little filter and it does its job very very well and it only put me out 80 dollars and that is including the shipping! This product is DEFINATELY recommended!!!! :proud:

See less See more
#3 ·
I got 2-xp3s and I love these filters too! I say we start a Filstar PIMP club.

I'm so tired of these Eheim pimps trashing everything that aint an Eheim. Morinfen You can be pimp #1 and I'll be pimp #2. Even though everybody knows, me, buck and rex are the original Filstar pimps, you can be #1 since you got me all fired up to stsrt ThePimpClub.

Marcel

#4 ·
morinfen said:
The priming was so easy, all i had to do is poor a small glass of water into the tube through the syphon intake and then screw the little lid thingy back on, flip the switch down, and i was good to go!
I know most folks say their Eheim's easy to prime, but priming my 2026 gives me a hard workout every time. I HATE priming that sucker.
Hmm, maybe I will look at the Filstars next time I browse thru my fishwish books.

#5 ·
Barbels said:
I know most folks say their Eheim's easy to prime, but priming my 2026 gives me a hard workout every time. I HATE priming that sucker.
I'll guess that you start it before the tank is filled up all the way. The primer can only move the water about 4 inches so trying when the tank level is more than 4 inches from the edge is a waste of time. If that isn't it, then you probably have a loop in the line that has an air bubble in it.

#6 ·
From personal experience... fill the durned canister up before buttoning up the lid. That way you only have the hoses to fill. Now...as to hoses... I haven't owned a Filstar, though they seem to be easy to find locally (wonder why?) so I have no idea about how the intakes and outlets are but... the only way I could get my fluval primed was to dunk the entire hose in the tank and even then, I usually ended up with an airbubble at the elbow. I've never had any problems getting the hoses primed with the 2026.

#7 ·
I've had my XP3 for around a year now. It has been a good, efficient, cost-effective filter. But, in all honesty, I wish mine were a bit quieter. My house in Florida is a very open floor plan, and in the evenings when I'm getting ready for bed, I can hear the humming for a couple rooms away. I've tried wrapping a towel around it, and it does sit inside a closed stand (on the front anyway). But, it has got a hum....and I'm not the most sensitive hearer in the world...though perhaps that is a frequency I'm sensitive to?!?

I still recommend the Rena, but at times I think about trying an Eheim to see if it'll be quieter. I wonder if I could order a new impeller or such to see if it might quiet it down some??

Brian.

#8 ·
So it is started! The filstar pimp club and the canister pimp wars hahahaha. Im filstar pimp #1!!! W00t! As far as filstar noise, i just cant understand this filter having noise! I have it on a flat hard surface enclosed to where if it had any noise to it, it seems it would vibrate and enhance the noise, but like i said... no noise!! Hehehe....

So the Filstar Pimpdom begin....

#10 ·
Aaaaa, the joys of discovering a Cannister Filter :icon_bigg .
Answering consumer demands manufacturers have gotten really good lately in regards to the noise of cannisters. To hear my newly acquired Fluval 104 I have to open the stand door and actually stick my head IN the stand.

#424 ·
Ummm, bad anology, Bimmers have free maintainence! (own a 530i :)).

I also have a Rena XP3 that I recently had to upgrade for my bigger tank, but I'm holding on to for the future ;). Definitely easy to set up, use, and clean :). Does slow down when the sponges are clogged though.

Tina

#16 ·
Im glad you bought a canister filter and are happy with it...they are good
filters.

just cuz you drive a Hugo and are satisfied with it doesnt mean you bad mouth the BMW...there maybe a lot of cars that may have the same horsepower as a BMW ..but in the end..the BMW is a BMW...

Filstar are great filters but Ehiems are wikked!!!

#17 ·
when the pimp's in the crib ma
drop it like its hot
drop it like its hot
drop it like its hot

#21 ·
Wasserpest said:
Who is Hugo??
Heheheheh...got me there....its Yugo...

and there she is...

#26 ·
a pair of XP1s?

i'm seriously considering a pair of XP1 filters for my 20H and 29 that currently have an HOB (20) and a HOT Mag.(29). Anyone using XP1s not happy with the size or flow rate? I expect I'll be staying about the same in the 29 and upgrading a bit on the 20 as far as flow rate is concerned, and I should be getting at least a decent upgrade in media capacity, even if it's not quite as high capacity as an XP2 or XP3. drs f&s have them on sale right now at about $56 each, which is definitely easier to justify to my wife than $80 for a pair of eheim 2213s. XP1 users, holla holla! (and make it quick so I can catch this sale!)

Oqsy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.