The other day I had just cleaned out my Eheim 2213. I had reattached the quick- connects and was had just opened the and let the air circulate through the filter when I noticed a small stream of water leaking from the point where the outlet hose connects to the filter head. I removed the hose and found that the PLASTIC barb on the filter head was crack clean half way around the circumference of the barb. First I tried warming the hose in boiling water and slipping it over the threads on the barb. I got it over the threads, but it still leaked. I tried removing the hose only to break the cracked part of the barb clean off. I was running out of ideas when my Dad came to see what was wrong. The pictures below show how he helped
He recommended that I put the hose back over the threads and tighten a hose clamp over it. I added a bit of pipe tape to be safe
Here you can see that the nut is no longer needed and where the barb broke
And just a view from the inside
I know some of you are thinking "Why on earth does he think I need know this?" I want every body to know of the modification so that they do not have to go through the panic and frustration that I did. This is a good modification to make no mater what you think. Plastic can not be trusted. I only put the modification on the filter head because it (of all the connections) endures the most stress, but it still would be a good idea to put this modification on all of your filter connections
Not all of you out there will make the same mistakes that I did, but there are some people that will and I want to make sure that they know how to avoid them and prevent them.
If you don't have to swim to 'scape, it just aint big 'nuff. - macclellan
I wouldn't use pipe tape in this sense. Pipe tape is really designed for use in threads only, and the purpose is to allow the threads to be sealed tightly and all the way closed. In reality, the pipe tape actually is more likely to help it fall off or fail...
It does appear that you've really cranked on that nut though.