Filter for 10g - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Filter for 10g

I just wanted to know if my filters on my 2 10g tanks are good. My first tank has a TopFin 10 that holds my RCS and my other tank has a Whisper 10 that just is waiting for occupants besides the 2 apple snails I have in there. So are my filters good enough?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 06:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hello,
I would have to say no.
On a 10 gallon, you need at least 100GPH filter (The topfin on your RCS tank will probably be ok considering RCS have a low bioload). I would recommend replacing the Whisper filter with a Aquaclear 20 (Great filter)

Fluval Chi 5G: Honey Gouramis, Betta, & Neon Tetra x4
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 07:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

honestly a filter is not good enough only when it proves to be not good enough - I was able to run a surprisingly small internal filter on my 15g simply because the stocking allowed for it and my maintenance routine kept up. if you have no problem keeping things in good condition and the filter holds enough media to support your biological load, you don't need more. your stocking doesn't seem very heavy at all. that said, having more can't do harm.

I agree about aquaclear, they are the only HOB I will use - cheap, quiet, reliable, and more versatile with more media space then any other brand.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Ok thanks Regensis and reignOfFred for the replies. The TopFin came in package deal and the other one was free so I just went with what the tanks had it just seemed like the tanks barely had any current. The shrimp seem fine in there been in this tank since late February with alot of java moss free float on moss walls. I was just making sure. In my other tank with the whisper the point of this tanks is basically a quarantine when I get new fish before I put them in my 110g.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 08:26 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regenesis View Post
Hello,
I would have to say no.
On a 10 gallon, you need at least 100GPH filter (The topfin on your RCS tank will probably be ok considering RCS have a low bioload). I would recommend replacing the Whisper filter with a Aquaclear 20 (Great filter)
Normal rule for a freshwater tank is 4-6x the amount of water in the tank. At 80GPH it should be fine.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 10:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Normal rule for a freshwater tank is 4-6x the amount of water in the tank.
What is it with all these rules?

I'd suggest the aquaclear also, but you'll likely be ok with the smaller filter in a planted tank.

I'd actually suggest getting a powerhead, or running 2 of those filters on opposite ends of the tank. The issue with small HOB filters is that you tend to have good flow on one side of the tank and dead spots on the opposite when you use them in the typical configuration.

If you're only going to run one filter, I would suggest putting it in the center of the tank, or running it on the narrow side.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks for the replies everyone. Your exactly right thats what 1 of my concerns were was there was current on the 1 area but the other spots where the filter was not at were dead spots/no flow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode