The Planted Tank Forum banner

CO2 20# Al tank: Good deal?

1K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  audioaficionado 
#1 ·
I checked with my local AirGas distributor and I can get this tank new and filled for $130 out the door. $22 is the current rate for subsequent refills. Surprisingly Aluminum tanks are lower in price than steel tanks.

Also if you can answer, how long would 20# of CO2 last @ 3bps for 12hr/day? Ball park estimates welcome.

I could get a new 10# Al tank for $82 shipped and fill it for ~$15. Would fit under my stand.

#3 ·
Yeah that's where I compared prices against AirGas. AG wins on the 20# tank, but AP wins for the 10# tank w/local fill as AG only had 10# steel tanks for more than the 20# Al tanks.

#8 ·
Well if I go with the AP 10# tank, my whole Pressurized CO2 system (with premium quality components) will have cost me ~$300 to put together. The 20# would be $30 more.

This hobby can sure be a money pit LOL.

#11 ·
It sounds like they are quoting a steel tank price. Call 'em back and ask for the 20# aluminum tank plus first filling at half price. Should be closer to $130.

#13 ·
I'd like to get the big Kahuna, but it's 2" too tall to fit under my stand LOL. My next tank stand will have to be 33" tall :biggrin:

That's weird. You'd think Airgas would have fairly uniform pricing across the US.

I looked at a local Craig's listing for a filled 20# Al tank for $45. Too bad the CGA threads and seal face were damaged. I might have been able to make it work, but I doubt I could ever get it to pass inspection prior to hydrotesting it as it was several years expired.

#15 ·
Well I'll call him back tomorrow and see if he still has it. He said something about shooting it with his 30-06.

Question: Are beverage CO2 tanks still required to have the CGA-320 standard interface? This thing might be over a decade old and the valve body seems to be made of aluminum colored metal. Not SS, brass or steel.

#16 ·
Well I talked to Bettatail and I've decided to nix that CL tank idea as its port and threads are damaged and if it failed, it's large enough to gas the whole house, not just a fish tank.

#17 ·
Yeah it'll do more than gas the house. It'll shoot off like a rocket and destroy ANYTHING in its path. I've seen many compressed air cylinders fail or be broken on purpose in my life. Its not fun at all. Its very scary. They go everywhere obliterating anything. I've seen 3 people die from them. Don't ever buy a damaged container or one out of date. Please.

#18 ·
$120 seems pricey. The local haun welding charges $70 for a full 15lb steel tank and $80 for a 20lb tank. Sure they are ugly and heavier but it is in my closet and no one sees it. That is for a tank swap though so you get a different tank each time but it is really fast to swap the tank as opposed to wait to get it filled. The guy behind the counter only gets to bust my balls for a few minutes (for growing aquatic plants) while he figures out how to use the credit card machine.

#20 ·
Well the problem with the CL tank I looked at is that it had obvious impact damage directly to the port/thread portion of the main tank valve. Not sure it I could do a swap on a damaged full tank. If I tried to use it up, an unseen hairline crack across the port or valve body could come apart while we were sleeping or standing nearby. Not worth the risk to save $85.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.