The Planted Tank Forum banner

Living in a hot climate?

3K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  AirstoND 
#1 ·
Hello! So this will be the first summer that I have a heated aquarium. I'm wondering a few things.

I live in the desert (las vegas) does anyone else live in a warm climate? Hopefully someone with experience can help out.

Summer is approaching and it will be getting very hot, normally while at work I do not keep my Air Conditioning on. I'm wonder what changes need to be made for the summer.

Should I turn down my tank heater? Turn off? Will I need to start keeping the AC on just for the tank? How warm will my tank get in relationship to my room temperature? (its a 55g tank)

I would like the tank to remain around 78-80f I would say the hottest the room could get without AC is 88f.

#2 ·
i'd say test it on a day off and find out. It'll probably be fine, though, a large volume of water takes a while to shift temp.

Your heater, assuming it has a temperature control on it, should stay off if the water temp is greater than its setting.

#6 ·
I would just leave the heater on. If it gets to hot, then run a fan over the water. That should drop the temp down a few degrees. But inside your house its probably not going to raise that high. If you run a fan over it, you may want to replace the increased amount of evaporated water with RO water.

#7 ·
Set your thermostat to 80 or there about and turn off your heater.

BTW. If you're of the habit of leaving off the AC during the day and turning it on when you get home you are not saving any money. I've heard it stated many times by home experts and utility companies to set your thermostat and let your AC run as needed. Your AC unit does not have to run as hard either as it would cooling down a hot house. Oh, and one more thing I've heard recently keep your AC unit shaded. You can save 10% on your electric bill doing so.

#15 · (Edited)
I've been away from the site for awhile, so this is catch-up. By now summer is almost done, so I'm sure you've worked something out. But in case...
Set your thermostat to 80 or there abouts... If you're of the habit of leaving off the AC during the day and turning it on when you get home you are not saving any money. I've heard it stated many times by home experts and utility companies to set your thermostat and let your AC run as needed. Your AC unit does not have to run as hard either as it would cooling down a hot house.
I've lived in LV for many years and kept an aquarium (with varying success) for about 10. I totally agree with the above. As it was explained to me, after a few hours, everything in your house is 88, 90 or whatever, not just the air. So you have as you cool the air in the house and all the warm "everything" else. Bump it up maybe 2-3 degrees if you want. Mine is programmed to go up a couple when I go to work and down a couple when I go to bed.

As far as your heater goes, IMHO it depends on how well it holds the temperature in the tank. Mine is very stable, so I leave it on. It will only come on if needed.

Sorry it's taken 4 mos to respond :icon_mrgr

#10 ·
Thanks for all the advice.

Regarding the temperature control on my heater, I'm not 100% sure how it works to be honest. It has a "+" and "-" sign and when I first setup the tank I turned the dial slightly towards the "+" and got it to the temperature I wanted (80f)

I guess I'll just have to wait and see. The thing about Las Vegas is one day its 80 and the next day its 95 so I just didn't want to come home to a deep fried fish tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.