Newbie to Pressurized - Good Deal? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Newbie to Pressurized - Good Deal?

Hello PT,

I've been surfing the internet looking for a decent pressurized system for my tank and have stumbled across the follwing on craigslist. Is this a good deal?

regulator ~ Milwaukee
PH probe ~ Milwaukee SMS122
dimensions ~ 20 lb. tank, 28"tall, 8" diameter
price ~ $100

Right now I only have a 55 gallon, but I'm eventually going to upgrade to a 100+ tank. So maybe the 20lb co2 tank is not a bad thing. I beleive this setup also comes with a DIY reactor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 03:49 PM
Plant Clown

Absolutely! I'd toss the probe in the closet myself, but the 20lb tank alone is worth the price. You might have to get it hydrotested depending on its last test date.

I'm assuming the regulator comes with the complete solenoid/nv/bubble counter setup.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
Absolutely! I'd toss the probe in the closet myself, but the 20lb tank alone is worth the price. You might have to get it hydrotested depending on its last test date.

I'm assuming the regulator comes with the complete solenoid/nv/bubble counter setup.
Thanks for the response,

How long would a 20lb tank last at say 3 bps on a 55 gal and 3 bps on a 125 gal?
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 03:56 PM
Plant Clown

best guess, something approaching a year.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
best guess, something approaching a year.

wow ok, Maybe I could setup my tanks next to each other and just split the c02 output.... Didnt realize how long the tank would last..
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 04:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

I had a couple Milwaukee regulators in the past on SW and it was next to impossible to keep a consistent bubble rate.

Cylinder wouldn't fit under my stand so that would be a deal breaker for me. Might want to find out how much time remains on the hydrotest.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 04:16 PM
Plant Clown

Not really sure how many welding supply shops are around you, but as long as the hydrotest is current, you can probably find a place to swap out the tank. After that, you can find the cheapest refill place around you for the following 5 years. If you're lucky they're the same place.

I've had 2 Milwaukee regulators and no trouble keeping the bubble count standard. The troubles I've heard from people mostly regard keeping it standard at very low outputs (1bps or under, maybe). Even then, you can always switch out the needle valve for something higher quality.

You can also run a CO2 line as far as you'd like, though if it's more than a few feet, I'd probably put the needle valve and a bubble counter inline at the tank.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 04:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Every tank I've had so far has been brought to life by co2 through either a Milwaukee or Azoo pre-built regulator. I've had zero issues, but to be honest I wouldn't buy one used.

For most the Milwaukee is the first regulator and many simply damage it. There have been many threads here about problems with milwaukee regulators and the majority of them are from newbies or people who have purchased used ones.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

thanks form the response everyone. Im starting to second guess the tank because of the size. Would it be bad if a tank is laid on its side?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode