Atomic Inline Co2 Diffuser 16? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Atomic Inline Co2 Diffuser 16?

I'm piecing out a 57 and I have a eheim 2028 for filtering - GLA has the Atomic one it's about $40 - They have been on back order for a while, and I've seen the knock off Up aqua CO2 Atomizer for $30 on [Ebay Link Removed]
  1. Does anyone have a recommendation? I am currently using a glass diffuser and I would rather use something that's a bit more sophisticated on the new tank.
  2. I would go with DIY - does anyone have plans for one which has a clear cylinder - I like to see if it needs cleaning without taking it apart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 09:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

post #3 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Spanks for the links! You satisfied with your reactor?

Was your DIY much cheaper than $40? I live in DC without a car - our local hardware stores charge a premium for parts compared to Home Depot/Lowes in the burbs.

post #4 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 12:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

It work OK for my 55g tank but now I have is 110g tank
So I might make another but bigger size DIA maybe 3-6 inches x 24
or stick to something I can get parts from like Home Depot or Lowes
post #5 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 04:01 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundragon View Post
I'm piecing out a 57 and I have a eheim 2028 for filtering - GLA has the Atomic one it's about $40 - They have been on back order for a while, and I've seen the knock off Up aqua CO2 Atomizer for $30 on [Ebay Link Removed]
  1. Does anyone have a recommendation? I am currently using a glass diffuser and I would rather use something that's a bit more sophisticated on the new tank.
  2. I would go with DIY - does anyone have plans for one which has a clear cylinder - I like to see if it needs cleaning without taking it apart
I have both the GLA inline diffuser and the Up Aqua. I can tell you, the GLA one just fits together better. The Up Aqua one I eventually had to cave and use hose clamps. In terms of operation, they both work the same. I could have just gotten a poorly put together Up Aqua diffuser as well.

Currently building a rex style reactor to replace the Up Aqua diffuser. Sick of the soda pop fizz look. We'll see how it works.
post #6 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I really appreciate your feedback!

I purchased the GLA diffuser - The difference wasn't enough to buy the cheaper one and deal with issues. Plus GLA has been great support.

I wanted to know how it can be so small and still diffuse CO2 when compared to the DIY reactors that seem to be so large.

They explained - It has an atomizer inside which causes the CO2 to diffuse into small bubbles - it then shoots them into the tank, and some people don't like that. The DIY reactors just shoot CO2 directly into the reactor and it tumbles around - which is why the reactor needs to be so large. It doesn't shoot bubbles into the tank, but the trade off is that it uses more CO2.

I want to try it out as I'm also plumbing the heater inline and space can be an issue under the tank.
post #7 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 04:30 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
They explained - It has an atomizer inside which causes the CO2 to diffuse into small bubbles - it then shoots them into the tank, and some people don't like that. The DIY reactors just shoot CO2 directly into the reactor and it tumbles around - which is why the reactor needs to be so large. It doesn't shoot bubbles into the tank, but the trade off is that it uses more CO2.
Reactors are more efficient than diffusers and waste less CO2. All of the CO2 gets dissolved. That's why there are no bubbles. Bubbles means some gas will float to the surface and leave the tank. It isn't possible for a diffuser to be as efficient as a reactor.
post #8 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Le sigh... Conflicting information makes this hobby such a pain So hard to wade through all the information without clear benchmarks and science to make this clear - It's all opinions, people's experience, and marketing. You hear contradicting things back to back.

I appreciate what your saying - It makes sense but I will trust GLA's advice and stick with the reactor and try it out - I don't mind the micro bubbles and currently my glass CO2 reactor uses 1bps to keep tank's drop checker in the green.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcubed45 View Post
Reactors are more efficient than diffusers and waste less CO2. All of the CO2 gets dissolved. That's why there are no bubbles. Bubbles means some gas will float to the surface and leave the tank. It isn't possible for a diffuser to be as efficient as a reactor.
post #9 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 06:59 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Le sigh... Conflicting information makes this hobby such a pain So hard to wade through all the information without clear benchmarks and science to make this clear - It's all opinions, people's experience, and marketing. You hear contradicting things back to back.

I appreciate what your saying - It makes sense but I will trust GLA's advice and stick with the reactor and try it out - I don't mind the micro bubbles and currently my glass CO2 reactor uses 1bps to keep tank's drop checker in the green.
oh GLA admitted that it doesn't compare to a reactor in terms of efficiency. it's simply not possible for a diffuser to be more efficient than a reactor. their newer diffusers are just an improvement over regular glass/ceramic diffusers.

it's important to realize that bubble count tells you very little about how much co2 you're actually using. bubble counters do not take into account pressure or temperature. both significantly affect the volume of a gas. (i.e. 1 bubble at 30psi contains MUCH more CO2 than 1 bubble at 10psi).

basically:
if you want the most efficient diffusion and/or don't like bubbles, get a reactor

if you want bubbles or don't have a canister filter, diffusers are the next best thing.
post #10 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The information I got was the exact opposite

This is an inline diffuser, not a glass diffuser that sits in the tank. It will diffuse CO2 (tiny bubbles) as the water leaves the Eheim. There should be very little if any bubbles that make it (based on the bubbling on my existing glass diffuser). I am not an expert on this so I will differ to the experts - even if I'm getting two conflicting bits of info

I appreciate the detailed explanation - I don't mind the bubbles- the ones from my current diffuser are so tiny that they are barely visible when they reach the top of the tank - the eheim is about 3 feet away from the lily pipe - They shouldn't be much larger so I don't expect the bubbles to be distracting - I do want a good diffusion of CO2

Quote:

basically:
if you want the most efficient diffusion and/or don't like bubbles, get a reactor

if you want bubbles or don't have a canister filter, diffusers are the next best thing.
post #11 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 06:52 AM
Planted Member

No offense,
IMO GLA doesn't make any atomic or inline diffuser. Those diffuser are Intense brand, made in china/taiwan. UP inline diffuser also made by Intense, and they marked their product on its suction cup. Look at UP or GLA diffuser suction, it has same marks
post #12 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 07:00 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
The information I got was the exact opposite

This is an inline diffuser, not a glass diffuser that sits in the tank. It will diffuse CO2 (tiny bubbles) as the water leaves the Eheim. There should be very little if any bubbles that make it (based on the bubbling on my existing glass diffuser). I am not an expert on this so I will differ to the experts - even if I'm getting two conflicting bits of info

I appreciate the detailed explanation - I don't mind the bubbles- the ones from my current diffuser are so tiny that they are barely visible when they reach the top of the tank - the eheim is about 3 feet away from the lily pipe - They shouldn't be much larger so I don't expect the bubbles to be distracting - I do want a good diffusion of CO2
Well of course they told you the opposite. They don't sell reactors. Why would they tell you NOT to buy their product and to go make a reactor for $5 out of PVC?

Their new diffusers do still give very good diffusion. Reactors just give better diffusion. Sorry GLA wasn't completely straight with you. Search on here or feel free to ask the more senior members. They'll tell you the same. Plus the people on here aren't trying to make a sale. :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWen View Post
No offense,
IMO GLA doesn't make any atomic or inline diffuser. Those diffuser are Intense brand, made in china/taiwan. UP inline diffuser also made by Intense, and they marked their product on its suction cup. Look at UP or GLA diffuser suction, it has same marks
The stone is different colored!!! It's different!!
post #13 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 08:36 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
The stone is different colored!!! It's different!!
Have you ever compare the marks on suction between UP and GLA inline diffuser?

I could be wrong, but FYI last year someone from GLA emailed me asking about Intense Inline Diffuser supplier

Last edited by SuperWen; 03-29-2011 at 01:08 PM.
post #14 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 11:31 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have a gla inline on the output side of a rena xp4. I see no bubbles on the outflow or in the tank. The in tank diffuser, i have, does creat a storm of very fine mist.

P.s. VW makes the Jetta and the buggati veyron...

Sent from my DROIDX

post #15 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Okay - okay You guys make a good point -

The GLA diffuser is arriving on Wednesday - I'll post images for review. I don't have the parts for the new setup so I may have to wait till I do before I can post a review. I'll be seeding the new canister filter for a week or two - on the old tank - before I setup the new tank - in order to have a good transfer of biological bacteria.

I'm surprised there are bubbles - I can't see the ones coming from my glass diffuser - maybe the ceramic/glass diffuser in the GLA unit is not as fine? I don't mind fine bubble mist as long as it's not a mess, and the fish don't look like they are swimming in 7-Up :P

Please expect more NUB questions from me in the immediate future as this is for my third tank, not including my first in 4th grade, haha...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode