Atomic Inline Co2 Diffuser 16? - Page 6 - The Planted Tank Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
sundragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyT View Post
In my experience with this kind of atomizers, they are very quiet when they operate properly. But they begin to hiss (or even whistle quite noticeably) when the seal around the "airstone" fails and the gas begins to blow-by between the plastic casing and the "airstone". This also produces large bubbles, for obvious reasons.

So, are you sure you have no blow-by issues with your atomizer? Both the hissing and the fact that bubbles don't dissolve fully might be an indication of such a failure.

Good point - there should be almost no bubbles when you first set it up. If you see large ones, then they are bypassing the diffuser stone.

From my experience, the bubbles gradually start to appear and get larger over time as the diffuser gets dirty. When the bubbles become visibly large, I swap the diffuser when I service the filter. I have two so it's an easy swap process. The clean one then sits till it needs to be swapped back again. This happens every 3-4 months, FWIW.
sundragon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #77 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 08:45 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundragon View Post
Good point - there should be almost no bubbles when you first set it up. If you see large ones, then they are bypassing the diffuser stone.

From my experience, the bubbles gradually start to appear and get larger over time as the diffuser gets dirty. When the bubbles become visibly large, I swap the diffuser when I service the filter. I have two so it's an easy swap process. The clean one then sits till it needs to be swapped back again. This happens every 3-4 months, FWIW.
That is why I bought 2 of them
BriDroid is offline  
post #78 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 09:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
talontsiawd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 4,581
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
On that note, what is the best way to clean these? I cleaned mine using bleach but only soaked for 2 hours. It's hard to do overnight and keep the filter running unless I add some sort of connector. I may buy another one in the future, just wondering if bleach is the way to go. Some people say it's not ceramic and bleach isn't the best way, I also don't want to harm the plastic in the long run.

Mine may be fine, I know the bubbles are smaller than they were but it's hard to tell because I didn't have clear pipes before, plus it's now horizontal (only way I can make it fit) so the bubbles may be combining. Diffusion is fine but wondering if it could be better. Setup like over a year ago but switched up many things including tank size so can't go off bubble rate. I have a feeling it's slightly higher than it was on my 29 gallon, on my 20 long.
talontsiawd is offline  
post #79 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
sundragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
On that note, what is the best way to clean these? I cleaned mine using bleach but only soaked for 2 hours. It's hard to do overnight and keep the filter running unless I add some sort of connector. I may buy another one in the future, just wondering if bleach is the way to go. Some people say it's not ceramic and bleach isn't the best way, I also don't want to harm the plastic in the long run.

Mine may be fine, I know the bubbles are smaller than they were but it's hard to tell because I didn't have clear pipes before, plus it's now horizontal (only way I can make it fit) so the bubbles may be combining. Diffusion is fine but wondering if it could be better. Setup like over a year ago but switched up many things including tank size so can't go off bubble rate. I have a feeling it's slightly higher than it was on my 29 gallon, on my 20 long.
I tried the GLA cleaner but it wasn't strong enough so I used H202 (Peroxide) and then bleach. The peroxide worked but the bleach really did the job.

It takes longer than two hours - I did it overnight.

EDIT: Try the peroixide - it's a lot less caustic than bleach. If you need to use bleach, remember to soak the diffuser in a cup of water with a capful of Prime or dechlorinator to remove all traces of bleach, once it's cleaned up

If you don't buy two you may need to hook up the filter for a day and then replace it. The expense of buying another is really worth the time and effort
sundragon is offline  
post #80 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 07:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
talontsiawd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 4,581
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundragon View Post
I tried the GLA cleaner but it wasn't strong enough so I used H202 (Peroxide) and then bleach. The peroxide worked but the bleach really did the job.

It takes longer than two hours - I did it overnight.

EDIT: Try the peroixide - it's a lot less caustic than bleach. If you need to use bleach, remember to soak the diffuser in a cup of water with a capful of Prime or dechlorinator to remove all traces of bleach, once it's cleaned up

If you don't buy two you may need to hook up the filter for a day and then replace it. The expense of buying another is really worth the time and effort
Thanks, I have had all sorts of diffusers and always used bleach but it's a lot easier to soak and especially dechlorinate over a period of time when it doesn't involve your filter.

On that note, I found I had a leak at my check valve. I had a small amount of silicone airline tubing I never replaced which worked fine on my glass diffuser but leaked. Bubbles are much smaller now, had a feeling because my CO2 only lasted a few months but I just had to downgrade to 5lber for a 20lb so I wasn't sure. Really glad I caught it.
talontsiawd is offline  
post #81 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 10:27 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 348
What ratio are you using when you use H2O2 and bleach?

Last time I cleaned mine I did 100% peroxide overnight. It seems to have worked.
BriDroid is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome