Atomic Inline Co2 Diffuser 16? - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 01:27 AM
Planted Member
 
SuperWen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Indonesia
Posts: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundragon View Post
I guess I'm confused by what you're trying to point out...

It's not Intense as you mentioned earlier in the post, it's Naito. I am assuming that you were trying to point out that Naito produces it for Intense, UP, and GLA... Ok - many manufacturers sell their products through distrbutors such as GLA. GLA also sells Azoo substrate.

I did see the images and cool video of the exhaust from the diffuser.
Sorry for confusing you, but yes you've got my point.
It's because my bad english, it takes a half hour for me to reply one post with english
SuperWen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 81 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 06:27 PM
Planted Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 270
So Sundragon, What were the final results of the inline diffuser?
genetao is offline  
post #33 of 81 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 10:42 PM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Sumter, SC
Posts: 6
Sundragon, second the question.....how has the inline worked out? Seriously considerin gone of these because like many, I don't want the hassle of the sewer pipe under the stand but was at one time resigned to the need. Thoughts? I would think by the pictures of the bubble cloud I have seen, by putting this several feet from the outlet, you would get much more gas absorbtion.

Cheers,

AC
mustang_1966289 is offline  
post #34 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 09:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
dewalltheway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,035
Wow! Read through this and hit the second page hoping to see a video and pics because I am looking at buying one of these and it was dropped! I really wish he would have followed through with posting their results.

Does anyone else have any experience with one of these Atomic inline diffusers and have any good points or bad points??

Current Tank Journals: 125 Dream~~~~
Retired Tank Journals: Tranquility ~~~~ Les Collines Rouges ~~~~ Restful Hideaway Riparium~~~~Gone Live-55Gal
dewalltheway is offline  
post #35 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 10:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Naekuh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalltheway View Post
or bad points??
if it should ever leak... on a canister.. = big big big trouble...
Naekuh is offline  
post #36 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 06:12 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Taunton ,MA
Posts: 1,694
I've been using this Atomic Diffuser with my Eheim 2262 for a couple of months now for my 110g tank, I had to run my low pressure at 45psi and the bubble count is fast to fast to count , My DC stays green so it's working . But not happy, lots of bubble does float to the surface . I'm thinking on getting a reactor from aquariumplants.com

http://www.aquariumplants.com/Carbon..._p/ext5000.htm

I like the idea of getting 100% diffusion with out any bubbles and maybe I could work my bubble count down so I can read it.
inkslinger is offline  
post #37 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
sundragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 516
Sorry for the long delay

Grad School and work took over my life and the new tank took a back seat. I'm now finding the time to finish the project. I just ordered some equipment and I'm about to order the lights and substrate for the 57 gallon rimless that will replace my 30 gallon tall.

I'll be seeding the new filter once I get it set up for two weeks on the old tank. I'll then plumb the inline diffuser and post pictures.

Now decisions on what kind of lights to purchase for the planted tank 36" and what substrate to buy. I don't have the luxury of setting up two tanks and waiting for the one to cycle - I'll be doing the setup and swap in 24 hours. Any advice will be appreciated.
sundragon is offline  
post #38 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
sundragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 516
Smile Update

Update: I'm going to post my tank swap update in a day when I get the images sorted, etc.

Tank is up and running. The CO2 is going at 2bps currently. I don't have any bubbles in my exhaust flow. The CO2 completely dissolved.

I also have a longer output with an inline heater for my exhaust which probably helps it get disolved.

If open up the regulator to a steady flow of CO2 I can see tiny, almost particulate, bubbles in the exhaust flow.

Does anyone have an estimated bps to get a green drop check for a 57 gallon tank?

Currently 2bps is giving me a blue green drop checker.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2469.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	42478  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2477.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	42479  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2474.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	42480  

sundragon is offline  
post #39 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
sundragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 516
Let me know if you want a video. I've upped the bps to 3 to see if the drop checker changes to a brighter green.
sundragon is offline  
post #40 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 07:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcubed45 View Post
oh GLA admitted that it doesn't compare to a reactor in terms of efficiency. it's simply not possible for a diffuser to be more efficient than a reactor. their newer diffusers are just an improvement over regular glass/ceramic diffusers.
I am not entirely convinced that just because a reactor doesn't create bubbles that it is automatically the best solution for all co2 setups. I think what people forget is that the dissolving of the co2 is NOT the only part of the equation, you also have to consider how that co2 is being distributed.

It seems that there must be SOME value in direct co2 bubbles being distributed through the tank, versus a reactor-style diffusion method that prevents such a thing from happening. I mean, last time I checked, people like Amano still use ceramic diffusers and atomizers. Why aren't they using a reactor?

Honest question, it'd be interesting if some actual science was done on this rather than just people opining on products they've invested in.
ktownhero is offline  
post #41 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
sundragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 516
Well I mounted my older plastic drop checker across the tank near the filter intake and upped it to ~3bps (27 bubbles/10 seconds) and it's green now.

Respectfully - I've never used a bazooka reactor and I don't want to chance that I'd build a leaky unit as I'm in an apartment and it would be a disaster with 57 gallons...

I can say that 3bps with this unit makes both drop checkers, 36" apart, green. I guess that's efficient enough for me. I still don't see any bubbles or fizzy particles coming from the exhaust.
sundragon is offline  
post #42 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
sundragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 516
Updates...

Just a quick update.

New tank and all so I've been trying to fine tune CO2, lights, etc. I had an interesting reaction. I was used to using 2 bps with the in tank diffuser on my 30 gallon. I started with 2.5bps using the Atomic Inline as a baseline.

What I found out:

Bad News
at 2bps the diffuser is gassing my angels and making them hide. I'm going to have to dial it back to 1-2 bps in hope they will come out of it.

Good News
Regarding efficiency - a 57 gallon tank with an inline diffuser is getting over 30ppm CO2 with 2bps. Based on the reaction of the fish, moving the CO2 drop checker to another side of the tank it's light green/yellow, and my pH/KH calculations indicate it's ~ 37ppm CO2.
I used Rex Grigg's chart for the calculation.
sundragon is offline  
post #43 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 12:43 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
samamorgan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,235
Send a message via MSN to samamorgan Send a message via Skype™ to samamorgan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktownhero View Post
I mean, last time I checked, people like Amano still use ceramic diffusers and atomizers. Why aren't they using a reactor?
I believe he still uses them because they look artful, and the dude's an artist. Him or his company designed them to look good in a tank, so he uses them in the tanks. I would also assume that he uses them because he sells them, and it wouldn't look too good for an aquascape company to be using a product that they don't sell.

We also don't need to prove that reactors work better, because logic tells us they do. Visible bubbles going to the surface, which is a natural part of any in tank diffuser, means that those bubbles aren't being dissolved into the water column, wasting Co2. Bubbles don't escape from a properly set up reactor, so there is 100% dissolution into the water column.

LED Lighting Compendium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig van Beethoven
Don't only practice your art, but force your way into it's secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.
samamorgan is offline  
post #44 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
sundragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by samamorgan View Post
I believe he still uses them because they look artful, and the dude's an artist. Him or his company designed them to look good in a tank, so he uses them in the tanks. I would also assume that he uses them because he sells them, and it wouldn't look too good for an aquascape company to be using a product that they don't sell.

We also don't need to prove that reactors work better, because logic tells us they do. Visible bubbles going to the surface, which is a natural part of any in tank diffuser, means that those bubbles aren't being dissolved into the water column, wasting Co2. Bubbles don't escape from a properly set up reactor, so there is 100% dissolution into the water column.
It's not about who's diffuser/reactor is the baddest.

Agreed - if you see no bubbles - it's fully diffused.

There was mention that inline diffusers aren't as efficient.

That's where I disagree - based on first hand experience - I have no bubbles either, it's fully dissolved when it exits the output.

The other point is that 100% efficiency isn't required to make beautiful planted tank. See Amano and Oliver Knott for example.
sundragon is offline  
post #45 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 03:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
dantra's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: TX
Posts: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundragon View Post
The other point is that 100% efficiency isn't required to make beautiful planted tank. See Amano and Oliver Knott for example.
That is correct and I would just like to add that a needle wheel pump and a venturi works extremely well also but doesn't dissolve CO2 100% either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samamorgan View Post
I believe he still uses them because they look artful, and the dude's an artist. Him or his company designed them to look good in a tank, so he uses them in the tanks. I would also assume that he uses them because he sells them, and it wouldn't look too good for an aquascape company to be using a product that they don't sell.
Takashi Amano is a business man. That is the only reason he doesn't use a reactor. Producing, marketing and selling "his" products is what he is about, it's not a bad thing mind you, I think it is great that he does that.

Some of his products work very well while others fall short. It is all about selling the "Natural" aquarium system as ADA and that is fine with me. He sell his merchandise to make money, that includes his "glassware". Again nothing wrong with that.

Some people on this forum are simply planted tank farmers. They grow plants to simply grow plants in their tanks with little to no scape. Many are artistically challenged but somehow manage to grow plants very well while some are so called "artist" and can't grow the easiest plants available.

Amano markets everything he sells as a "Natural System" which mimics nature and therefore looks beautiful. Some call it art, some call it nature in a box while others drool all over themselves. In any event he does what he does extremely well. I believe there are very few people, if any, that can rival his style/personality and his ability to translate what he does so easily which almost always looks incredible.

Dan
dantra is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome