Noise/Rattle Fix! - AquaClear & Fluval C Series HOB Filters - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 10:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Dr Foster and Smith sells aquarium safe silicone lubricant:

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...08&pcatid=9708

I don't know if the regular stuff from the hardware/auto parts store works.

Thanks for the review. I might need to pick up a couple to replace some aging aquaclears I have.

Do you happen to know if the intake tubes are the same diameter? I have a couple aquaclear surface skimmers attached to my current HOBs and am wondering it the adapters will fit the fluvals.

-Charlie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 10:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Does this mean they're going to discontinue the older style Aquaclears?

That would be a shame. I've gotten used to their quirks and rather like them. Plus I figured out how to get highly efficient CO2 diffusion out of them.

Oh, one more thing. I recall someone reported success using teflon tape to silence a noisy impeller. You'd have to wind it the opposite direction from impeller spin to keep it from coming unwound; if it spins clockwise, wind counterclockwise.
post #18 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackhazard View Post
Dr Foster and Smith sells aquarium safe silicone lubricant:

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...08&pcatid=9708

I don't know if the regular stuff from the hardware/auto parts store works.

Thanks for the review. I might need to pick up a couple to replace some aging aquaclears I have.

Do you happen to know if the intake tubes are the same diameter? I have a couple aquaclear surface skimmers attached to my current HOBs and am wondering it the adapters will fit the fluvals.

-Charlie
I gave my last AquaClear away, so I'm not sure if the intake tubes are the same size. The new intake on the Fluval C-Series is black, it's length is adjustable and the grate is smaller in case you worry about small inhabitants or debris from getting sucked in. I use a sponge pre-filter on mine to protect the impeller. Overall it's a much nicer set-up IMO. I'm sure you could get the accessory to work with a home made adapter or some teflon tape.

You have some nice tanks, by the way.

I'll check out that lube.

Last edited by donnoj; 02-17-2011 at 11:51 PM. Reason: addition
post #19 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCobra View Post
Does this mean they're going to discontinue the older style Aquaclears?

That would be a shame. I've gotten used to their quirks and rather like them. Plus I figured out how to get highly efficient CO2 diffusion out of them.

Oh, one more thing. I recall someone reported success using teflon tape to silence a noisy impeller. You'd have to wind it the opposite direction from impeller spin to keep it from coming unwound; if it spins clockwise, wind counterclockwise.
I doubt they will ever get rid of the AquaClears. The Fluval version is more like a deluxe model.

Because impellers spin so fast, anything that sets them out of balance will make them rattle. I'm sure the teflon tape fix was an attempt to repair a damaged one. The problem with taping the magnet is the impeller is still inefficiently bouncing around, the noise is just subdued by the tape.
post #20 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 04:47 PM
Algae Grower

I have a C3 waiting to be installed. Question donnoj. Did you find that your C2 or C3 doesnt fit down on the rim of your tank all the way? I did a test fit the other day on mine and noticed that it doesn't go all the way down. It kind of sits on a tab under the output area and the intake tube is really tight against the glass. I wonder if it is supposed to sit up further than I was expecting or if the lip on my tank is wider than usual?
post #21 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardax View Post
I have a C3 waiting to be installed. Question donnoj. Did you find that your C2 or C3 doesnt fit down on the rim of your tank all the way? I did a test fit the other day on mine and noticed that it doesn't go all the way down. It kind of sits on a tab under the output area and the intake tube is really tight against the glass. I wonder if it is supposed to sit up further than I was expecting or if the lip on my tank is wider than usual?
I checked my C2 and there's about an inch to play with. Check that the leveler at the bottom right side of the filter is adjusted correctly. Because the level adjuster is off to one side of the filter it's easy to have the filter sit crooked if your not careful.
post #22 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 02:20 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardax View Post

My AC's had the same problem. I thin my fake wood trim on my tank is thicker than a normal black trim tank. I had to bump up to an AC110 to get one to fit without modification.
post #23 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

1 year update

Just thought I'd post an update on my Fluval C2 impeller lube, if anyones interested.

It's still dead silent, no rattle.

I also just purchased another tank and installed an AquaClear 20. It rattled out of the box. Applying some Vaseline to the impeller shaft fixed it. Silent with the lid on.
post #24 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 02:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

So just to reiterate what you did, you remove the motor, then took the impeller out of the well. Then lubed up the entire impeller (or just the part of it that sits in the well?) with Vaseline. Put everything back together. Relaxed there was no noise. Break out the beer?

Something along those lines?

Fish Shrimp tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆ Twin 10G Shrimp Tanks & 20L Grow Out Tank
post #25 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

First, break out beer.

Second, remove motor from AquaClear/Fluval C.

Third, remove impeller.

Fourth, lube the shaft inside the motor. (Put a small glob on the end of the shaft, the impeller push it down the rest of the shaft when you install it.)

Fifth, install impeller on to lubed shaft and slide back down into the motor.

Sixth, install motor back onto the AquaClear/Fluval C.

Seventh, break out another beer and enjoy the silence.

ok, I've realized I used the word lube and shaft too many times for one day.
post #26 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 10:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnoj View Post
Haha! Hilarious! I guess I'll know what you're talking about when I get my AC20's soon. Guess the impeller has it's own tube, that doesn't show up in the parts manual haha.

post #27 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 11:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hehe I posted the review of the Fluval C2 on amazon that wrote the fix for it
post #28 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 12:21 AM
Planted Tank VIP

post #29 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 12:52 AM
SCAPEr

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnoj View Post
First, break out beer.

Second, remove motor from AquaClear/Fluval C.

Third, remove impeller.

Fourth, lube the shaft inside the motor. (Put a small glob on the end of the shaft, the impeller push it down the rest of the shaft when you install it.)

Fifth, install impeller on to lubed shaft and slide back down into the motor.

Sixth, install motor back onto the AquaClear/Fluval C.

Seventh, break out another beer and enjoy the silence.

I see now, I was like... my finger is too big to lube the shaft all the way down.
post #30 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 01:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
Teflon tape is safe in the aquarium?

Tags
aquaclear, fluval c, impeller, noise, rattle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode