The Planted Tank Forum banner

Eheim 2028 or Rena XP2 your opinion

1K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Min 
#1 ·
i have a 55g tank. currently filtered by rena xp2.
i found Eheim 2028 Pro II for sale localy for $80 used.

would i gain anything switching?
how about if i put both? blow the fish out of tank?

im thinking about getting smaller tank for quarantine and what nots, so the worse filter would go there.

just dont feel like rena xp2 is getting job done as good as i want it to be.

anything on Eheim 2028 would be helfull. thanks.

#3 ·
That's a steal at that price! I buy domestic whenever possible but sorry Eheim is the best canister on the market (imo) Own 2 of those and a 2215 and pro3e2078. Good design, latches, trays BUT customer service is 'iffee',,, how do you spell 'no customer service?' (oh just did) but like they're filters.

#5 ·
I just tossed my 2128 in the trash after 18 months of solid frustration. I could not get it to stop leaking. I replaced all of the seals and o-rings. I finally just gave up and went back to my XP3.

You can take that as a vote against the used 2028. He's probably trying to sell his because it leaks too.

#6 ·
No experiance with Rena but have a 2026 and 2217 on a 55. Added the 2217 after finding it used in the S&S. No more flow issues as I did after plants started growing in.

Never leaked yet. Have replaced the head seal on the 2026 in some preventiative maintenance. 2026 has been in service since 2004. Shame to hear Eheim has poor CS skills. I just sis recently bought a new impeller and other mic parts for the 2217 form their site and had little issues.

#11 ·
I have had nothing but good experiences with my XP2. Quiet, very easy to set up, much easier to prime and clean than either of my Eheims (which generally are fine, too). It also runs about 50-100 dollars cheaper than an Eheim. My only quibble is that the input/outflow seem far less sturdy and versatile than the Eheim's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.