The Planted Tank Forum banner

Aquaclear for 65g

3K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  Bogey 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
For a 65g tall aquarium, would you guys do one AC70, one AC 110, two AC70's, or one AC70 + one AC50? Doing some shopping later :)

I guess I should give y'all more info... It will be a planted angelfish tank.

#11 ·
Too much current was a concern for me with the adult Angels in my 75 as the AC110 I bought for them a couple weeks ago does about 500gph. I thought I'd have to adjust the flow a bit but on full tilt the Angels are not bothered by it and don't even seem to notice it. I think its because of a combination of factors--I keep the water level in my tanks an inch or less below the rim and the spillway on the AC110 is massive (10" wide). In fact, one of them usually hangs out at mid level in the tank right in front of the filter.

Of all the choices available, there really is not a wrong one.
If there's too much current you can always turn down the flow, raise the water level, create a simple baffle from a plastic water bottle, or swap the impeller for one from a smaller AC filter (they're interchangeable between all models except the 110 which is a completely different animal).
Some conventional wisdom would suggest going with two filters because you can clean one filter at a time and there is less disturbance to your beneficial bacteria. That's a more than valid consideration. However, the AquaClears come with a decent mesh bag you can jam-pack full of biomedia and then set it aside in a pitcher or bucket while you gently clean the rest of the filter. The bacteria living in the biomedia are not disturbed during this process so the total impact should be relatively minimal. Plus, more filters means more total expense and more frequent maintenance.

#9 ·
I use two AC 70 on the back and two air driven sponge filters in the tank. You never can have over kill. I have a well planted tank with Angelfish, betta, and Gouramis. Been running for ten years. Always have a back up. I have had one go out which I had to order online for the best deal....

#12 ·
Raised a young group of Discus in 75 gal with two AC 110's, one on each end of the tank, and the fish grew fat and sassy.
Only had one AC 110 at first, but due to glass center support, I could not place the one AC in the middle of the tank and thus there were dead spot's on the other end of the tank.

#13 ·
Thank you so much for all of the replies! I think I'm gonna go with two 70's.
I'm also toying with the idea of putting in a basic smaller sponge filter since I was going to put an air stone in there anyways, might as well turn it into another place to grow BB. Thoughts?

#15 ·
I would go with a Sunsun 304B myself. Did spend about $80 shipped on Amazon for a filter that is way above and beyond two ac 70s. All kinds of output options to get perfect flow. I have one and I am in love with it

I love ac but this canister filter is far above

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#18 ·
I use 2 AC 70's on my 50 gal and love the flow I get with them especially when my plants start to fill up the tank. I also added a hydor 240 pump centered in the middle of the back wall of the tank that comes on and goes off every 1/2 hour to help with distribution of co2. The other benefit is having my quarantine tank media in both of the 70's just in case I pick up some new fish, then I just set up my 10 gal and put some tank water in it and the media from my 70's into my AC 20 and I'm good to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.