The Planted Tank Forum banner

My Review: Odyssea CFS 500 Filter

127K views 333 replies 82 participants last post by  m00se 
#1 ·
UPDATE:
I'm going to scrap my Odyssea for a FX5. I will still stand by recommending SunSun filters day and night. But I'm done with this pos.
Three days ago after cleaning, no apparent leaks. Left and came home to about 8 gallons of water in my carpet. Took hours of trouble shooting to fix. In process I snapped off one of the intake ports. It is superglued in place, sitting in a 10 gallon tub. Waiting for my fx5 to come in and then I will be done with this thing.

I love the price, but at this point it isn't worth the risk. A filter shouldn't be this much work and I don't care anymore. I've not been impressed iwth water clarity, anyways. It lasted a year, so that is great. But it was almost to the day a year later that it failed in several ways. Having to drain my tank down, move my stand, use the rug doctor to dry up carpet, run fans and dehumidifier for 12 hours and then move it all back is not my idea of fun.

I won't even give this filter to someone for free at this point. It is going to be trashed.
Original.

I am almost infamous for my review of the SunSun HW-302. I think SunSun owes me some serious bank for the number of filters sold because I took the plunge on their filter. It was a huge "risk" some would say, but I have loved every second of it.

Because I am setting up a turtle tank that I wanted a filter for, I started looking for new filter options. I was never impressed with the options that 40 bucks got me, so I considered a new option... buy a new filter for the 75g tank and put the sunsun on my turtle tank(lol... the 302 will be filtering about 7 gallons....). I have seen the Odyssea CFS 500 on ebay a few times and I was very tempted. It is very FX5ish in design, but not necessarily function.

So... I took the plunge. I sucked it up and bought the Odyssea CFS 500, 500gph filter from Topdawdsellers on ebay. 58.95 shipped via UPS to my door(took 4 business days to get here). It arrived in the retail box, though no damage was done to it.

I opened it up and saw this...

Unpacked to find this:

Those hoses are HUGE. They are 1 inch in diameter...

Here it is setup under my stand

This is the output:

Also big...

The media includes a bonded blue pad, a fine white foam pad, and a coarse black sponge. I added ceramic rings in the bottom. It works from top to center... Not top to bottom. The intake is in the middle with the pump on the bottom and a strainer up to the middle. It seems to have a TON of flow. Tests from others say 480 gph, which is amazing WITH media.

It is dead silent. Self priming--put water in and go. This is my first day So I will report back!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Im very interested to see how this works out for you. If it's at all decent for $60, I'd say the value is unbeatable. At 480 gph there's plenty of flow to run a split outflow, even if there was a reactor on each line. I was considering replacing my fluval 405 with an FX5 for that reason, but if this filter ends up performing well for you, well, I could save hundreds of dollars. As long as it's reliable, and doesn't have much bypass, I'm sold.

#5 ·
It can't have "bypass" by design. water enters the top, goes into the white sponge then towards the bottom or towards the intake. The black sponge really is mainly a space filler... It can obviously harbor some bio.

Another nice feature is the cord disconnects from the housing so it can be transported easily.

The hoses have on/offs and a quick disconnect. Did I mention the hoses are HUGE?

#8 ·
Since it filters from top to middle, you might be able to inject CO2 into the input hose. I wonder if it would make a good reactor as well as a filter. If so, that would really be awesome "bang for the buck".

Looking at it again, if it filters top to bottom shouldn't the course material be on top and fine material near bottom?

#15 ·
Very interesting... Now someone has to review the light fixtures!

#26 ·
I'm interested in getting this filter, but I have a few questions first:
*Is the quality of this filter worth 1/2 the price of a Eheim 2217? IE: 4x Geo's and 8 rainbow's.
*How well would this filter go in a 75G??
*Also how easy do you think it would be to make a DIY spray bar for it?
*Is it wise to replace the black layer with ceramic noodles or Matrix?

Thanks,
Craig

#28 ·
This is on MY 75, it is doing very well. It is less than half of the price of a 2217. It has over twice the output of the 2217. A diy spraybar is no more complicated for this than any filter. As for the black layer, you could do that. The foam provides a good deal of bio surface as well though.

#29 ·
oo, i have the same exact filter for my 65 gallon. works wonders and very very affordable. works really well as a reactor also. as for the black sponge, i used bio balls in it's place. truely recommended to anybody who's on a budget and needs a good filter. yes, and hoses are huge! 1".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.