CO2 Reactor Design - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2003, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
I have gotten all the part to build Mr Ghori's reactor. My question is---- Does the CO2 enter the bottom of the reactor or does it enter the top. The picture on his site does not clearly show this one detail.

55 gal tank under construction
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2003, 03:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru
I believe Ghorigs reactor has the co2 coming in near the top. The closer to the bottom of the reactor without letting undissolved co2 escape, the better. Flow rate thru the reactor has a big effect on how close to the bottom you can let co2 in. The higher the flow rate of water thru the reactor the closer to the top of the reactor you have to put the inlet for the co2.
The reactor is far more efficient when the co2 bubbles churn in the water inside the reactor. It is less efficient if co2 is allowed to pool at the top of the reactor.

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2003, 04:07 AM Thread Starter
Thanks for your reply. It makes would need to fave a very fast flow to pull the bubbles downwards. I have a ehiem 2026 which is not a high flow canister filter so I guese I will try installing the CO2 inlet 2 or 3 inches up from the bottem. Can not wait to finish the tank cabinet so that I can get wet. Thanks again Leo

55 gal tank under construction
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2003, 06:42 PM
Algae Grower
Even if the Co2 pools at the top as long as there is new water contacting it there should be no problem.You want the co2 to be dissolved into the water and either way that is what will happen but if you put the co2 inlet at the bottom it might be sucked out of the reactor before it ever gets dissolved.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-01-2003, 03:06 PM
Algae Grower
I have a similar homemade reactor and a 2026 driving it. The CO2 goes in at the top and I am getting great results. I don't see any bubbles in the output and I am keep a stable pH of 6.8 during the day. I don't think it matters if some CO2 pools at the top of the reactor and with the 2026 not much will. It may not be a super high flow filter but it is enough to push some gas around so it doesn't pool.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-02-2003, 01:04 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed
I've got an Aqua Medic Reactor 1000 and the CO2 goes in the top then down a tube to the bottom. Don't quite understand the logic behind this but it works. If the CO2 went in the bottom directly it would make it easier for water to drain back into the system if something happens like a hose comes loose.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode