Troubleshooting a Burkert solenoid - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By PlantedRich
  • 1 Post By jeffkrol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Troubleshooting a Burkert solenoid

So my nearly new (purchased 4/7/2017) Burkert solenoid appears to have stopped working. I have cycled the power manually, and verified that it is indeed the solenoid not firing. But I'm not sure where to go from here. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 02:16 AM
Algae Grower

I had a unpleasant experience with a Burkert. Got so hot it burned my hand. Swapped it out with a Clippard solenoid at another forum member's suggestion. Very happy (and uninjured) with it.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That's funny, well, not ha-ha funny, but interesting funny...I actually chose Burkert over the clippard ones because I heard the clippard ones got hotter! I have a handful of used clippard 24v ones just sitting around because I didn't want to make a ps for them. Lol

That really sucks you got actually burned!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 02:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolba View Post
So my nearly new (purchased 4/7/2017) Burkert solenoid appears to have stopped working. I have cycled the power manually, and verified that it is indeed the solenoid not firing. But I'm not sure where to go from here. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
first check the resistence in the coil w/ a VOM..
Burkerts run at about 8W..
I believe, depending on the drive voltage it should run about 100Ohms..

got 121 Ohms on a 24V 4W Burkert coil.

Step 1..
Oh and if DC check your power supply..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 04:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
That's funny, well, not ha-ha funny, but interesting funny...I actually chose Burkert over the clippard ones because I heard the clippard ones got hotter! I have a handful of used clippard 24v ones just sitting around because I didn't want to make a ps for them. Lol

That really sucks you got actually burned!
The clippard (mouse) solenoids run 0.67w, that the lowest I've seen any solenoid run at. Burkert is 8w approx. 11x times more! More watts more heat.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I must have a different burket than most, this is a 4w one. Or so it says on the label, anyway. I haven't had a chance to dig into it yet, but the seller said I could just send it back for a replacement. So I might just do that.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 05:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I must have a different burket than most, this is a 4w one. Or so it says on the label, anyway. I haven't had a chance to dig into it yet, but the seller said I could just send it back for a replacement. So I might just do that.
Yea do that...

Anyways my 2 "backup" Burkerts are both listed at 4W...

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks Jeff! And Malakian! You guys rock, as always!

As an aside...it just occurred to me....should I reduce the time the lights are on while I don't have CO2 being injected? Am I asking for trouble if I leave them on for the normal 9 hours? I have a Fresh & Plant 2.0 and a Satellite Freshwater LED+ going at the moment. If so, should I just kill one of the lights? Just reduce the time? Both?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 06:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Why not just manually turn the CO2 on? Solenoid is more for convenience..

Lack of CO2 is asking for trouble on tanks used to it..
Thats about all I can say..
Cutting light may work..

all depends how long the down time of the CO2 is.. If weeks..???

Really screwed up my 40B... but I didn't cut light output

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hopefully if I pack it up tonight, send it back to the seller tomorrow, it should be here about this time next week. But I'm not sure on that. So could be longer.

I actually hadn't thought about turning it on manually. Lol, oops. That reminds me of a story I heard...A girl is in the grocery store parking lot and is visibly upset. She's standing by her car, just crying, and looking around. Then looking back to the car, tries to get in, and cant. The cycle repeats itself. Somebody notices her and walks up to ask what's the matter? Between sobs, she replies "The battery in my key fob is dead and I can't unlock my car". The key fob....that's attached to her...you guessed it....keys!

I guess I could go to manual mode, and bypass the light timers and turn the gas on when I get home, and off when I go to bed. That makes sense. lol
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 06:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

This series of posts brings up a point that the newer folks may miss. It is critical to not simply lump things together by brand/maker but look at each item to decide if it is suitable for what we want. Burkett, Clippard and many do make good solenoids BUT we need to look at each model. Some like the black box solenoids will use too much power and fail quicker. Some Clippard are the black box style and not very good for our use as we pull them for far longer than most solenoid users.
So I look for the Clippard Mouse series rather than the black box. They have a totally different movement and do use far less power, which makes them the solenoid that I like best. If needed, there are times when we can take some screws loose and get to the moving parts of the black box types and get them to work again but having a moving metal part of that sort is kind of playing too close to the fire for me when the Mouse series uses none of that method.
scolba likes this.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Generally speaking, what diameter and thread count do you find on the mouse series? I'm sure there are different available, but in general are they smaller than 1/8 NPT?

For reference...the one I am using is the attached image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	755794  

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 07:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

1/8npt and 10/32....common size.
manifold or free standing.. Different pressures as well.. suggest you make sure it can do 100psi to avoid future issues..
Think other sizes are 50 and 25ish..

http://www.diyco2regulator.com/co2-regulator-solenoid

scolba likes this.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 09:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

One of the bigger challenges of shopping the solenoids is the number and types. In the mouse series alone there are dozens. Learning the model coding is one of the first steps to avoid mistakes. There are those (ET-2-12) which come with terminals (ET) 2 ports and need 12Volts. Those use a small 10-32 fitting. The 1-32 is a standard in screw size if one wants to look at them for size. Number ten screw with 32 threads per inch.
Then there is much the same in ET-2M-12 that needs a metal block called a manifold. It screws on the manifold and then you have 1/8" ports/openings.
So do some study first as there are many which will work but even more which will not work.
Reference to the Clippard catalog may help but I encourage everyone to check carefully. They are great solenoids but there are lots of ways to mess up in the ordering/buying.
Manifolds:
http://www.clippard.com/downloads/PD...Page%20191.pdf
Solenoids:
Clippard EV Mouse Valves

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode