The Planted Tank Forum banner

15g tank, how much support is needed?

816 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Malakian 
#1 · (Edited)
I just got a new 15g optiwhite tank with polished edges and no visible silicone seals, so pretty much a ADA 60p for a steal, 30$! :D

Anywho, I'm gonna use this to replace my old ratty 15g I have in my desk as a shrimp tank. This tank has some chips in the glass and god knows how old silicone, so I never dared to fill it more than 1/3 to half full. This sits inside my desk at home, but 2" on one side (short side) of the tank is not supported, hangs over open edge. Been fine with this tank, didn't really concern me with so little water.

But now with the new one, I would like to fill it to the top. 2" unsupported on one side, would that pose a issue, any thoughts?

Edit: Might of been better to post this in DIY maybe. Any help would be appreciated though, thanks in advance!

Edit 2: Looking on the fluval edge tanks, it seems like it should be possible. Have to do some more research. My panels are also glued in the same orientation. With the bottom pane sandwiched between all the 4 side panes. If that even matters

#2 ·
8.33 pounds/gallon plus weight of décor substrate and rocks. Its adds up fast and I recommend 100% the entire bottom of the tank be in contact with support if rimless. Also in your best intrest as surfaces may not be flat to place on thin Styrofoam or mat to make up for inconsistencies. That being said its a 20 gal so you will have much more leeway than say a 40g but none the less caution should be taken.

Dan

#6 ·
I ended up with a sheet of some super dense fiber board. Got a old store "model" which is a big solid 10mm sheet of laminate flooring instead of boards.
Also managed to get a little more support from the cabinet, so it's only about 1-1.5cm now thats not support, but has the sheet underneath. Did a crude test of the sheet, clamped it to a table with 10cm (4") haging of the edge, and I had to put a quite of bit of pressure on it before it would flex, I would say at least 20kg. So with just a 1.5cm lip at max hanging free I think I'm good. It held over night at least *knocks on wood* Can't close the cabinet door anymore do to the new placement of the tank, but who cares, I want to view the tank any ways :D

Best part with the full tank, is that I can do a neat scape finally. As mentioned, in my desk cabinet, so it's the short side which is the front now, and over 30L+ of used ADA Aquasoil. So was thinking a MAJOR slope from front to back, something like 2cm in front to 15-20 cm in back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.