The Planted Tank Forum banner

Heater recommendations?

5K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  p0tluck 
#1 ·
Looking to add a heater to my main tank (55 gallon) and hospital/quarantine tank (10 gallon). I currently have the default one that comes with the Marineland kit. I just want something that I can set the temperature to a specific degree without needing to worry about accuracy. (digital screens/remotes preferred if not too expensive).

I was looking at this FINNEX heater, any good? https://www.amazon.com/Finnex-Digit...2804750&sr=8-1&keywords=Finnex+HPS-200+Heater

#2 ·
Looking to add a heater to my main tank (55 gallon) and hospital/quarantine tank (10 gallon). I currently have the default one that comes with the Marineland kit. I just want something that I can set the temperature to a specific degree without needing to worry about accuracy. (digital screens/remotes preferred if not too expensive).

I was looking at this FINNEX heater, any good? https://www.amazon.com/Finnex-Digit...2804750&sr=8-1&keywords=Finnex+HPS-200+Heater

I had that specific one overheat and it cracked the glass and started leaking in the tank. Stay away from glass in my experience anyway. I got a full refund and ended up getting a hydor inline heater and could not be happier. Less equipment in tank. Win win. But seriously stay away from that one.

Wanted to add the hydor inline 300w is on sale and even cheaper than the 200 and 150w. Now would be time to get. $10 less than when I got it. Killer deal

Hydor ETH 300 In-Line External Aquarium Heater, 300w, 5/8" hose https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002Z7VQE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_nR1-ybW51NSM9

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Hydor ETH 300 In-Line External Aquarium Heater, 300w, 5/8" hose https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002Z7VQE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_nR1-ybW51NSM9
This actually looks pretty cool. Plus I have a Marineland C360 canister filter so it would work well. Question, does it have a digital controller or I need to purchase separately? Also, is this the right size/fit for a 55 gallon?

What about my 10 gallon hospital tank which does not have a canister filter, what other heaters would you recommend?
@sohankpatel: I did look up inkbird but I think they are just temp controllers?

#3 ·
I personally use the Aqueon PRO heater, mine is 2 ish degrees off of what the temp on the dial says, but I have had it for 2 years and have had no issues. I would use any heater with a temp controller, inkbird makes some nice ones.

#6 · (Edited)
My current favorite for heaters? I have been doing a test run on one that seems to have the features I want and some newer design on the heating element that seems much better. I've got two more on the shelf now!
Review here:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/9-equipment/1092706-tank-heater-thats-different.html#post10145905

The reason for me to run all heaters on a separate, stand alone heater is my feeling about electro-mech equipment. I find that even the best will fail at some point and when it does, I do not want to lose another tank of fish if I can spend a few more dollars to prevent it.
Spend $20 to avoid smelling dead fish when I wake up? YES, I'll do that!

#7 ·
@PlantedRich: Looks interesting...
@clownplanted: I really like the idea of the external heater, but looking at the video it looks like it's a foreign setup.. considering the control is in celsius and I also noticed that the power plug is in what it looks like a 240v output (would I need a converter)? Is yours in F or C?

#9 ·
@PlantedRich: Looks interesting...

@clownplanted: I really like the idea of the external heater, but looking at the video it looks like it's a foreign setup.. considering the control is in celsius and I also noticed that the power plug is in what it looks like a 240v output (would I need a converter)? Is yours in F or C?

Mine is 110 and is in F. Let me look at the link I sent you again. That one is 110 and in F. I got it from the same company saltwateraquarium. They are good and are the ones that replaced my glass one with the inline. So I assure you it's 110v and in F just like the pic I sent you.

Couple reasons I like this inline over any in tank heater. So I am able to continually monitor my temp with my Seneye monitor. I noticed that it's a more consistent temp with the inline compared to the two in tank ones I have used. And also the fact of one less piece of equipment in the tank. So why I love this heater. Just send them a quick message but I can assure you the same company in link I sent you and is a 110v and in F.

#8 ·
Personally I like the cobalt heaters, no glass and very accurate and durable. I believe they come with a 3 year warranty. I also have a 55gal and no problem heating that with a 200w but the wattage you need may be different as @clownplanted stated its the difference in temp that will determine the size of your heater.

Here is a link to cobalt heaters: Aquarium Heater: Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm Heater

Dan

#11 ·
Where things get complicated when we start looking for new equipment is that we all have differing ideas for what works best for us. We are all doing kind of the same thing but often in different ways so that means we have different priorities.
At times, I would kill to get equipment out of the tank so inline would work better, but then there are times when I value the flow through my filter too much to want it cut in any way. When we look at any item that goes inside the tubing, we are looking at a much smaller opening and that is an automatic flow restriction. For instance in putting a 1/2 inch fitting into a 1/2 inch tube we get an opening that is more like 3/8-1/4 than 1/2.
So it does get difficult to decide which we want to grudgingly give up. Space/looks in the tank, flow from the filter or some other point that we don't have any idea about until we get further into the game and know what we want on the personal level.
No wrong answers, no right answers, but just differing needs/wants.

#13 ·
Very well said... thats the beauty of these forums is that we get multiple opinions and perspectives to see.

Agree with @PlantedRich in my case I have a dedicated filter for just co2 so I used that and put the inline heater right after my co2 reactor. This way I did not reduce the flow of my Fluval FX4
Hmm I don't have a Co2 canister yet.... the flow interruption does raise a concern. I have a C360 Magnaflow canister from Marineland. Do you think that would be an issue?

#12 ·
Agree with @PlantedRich in my case I have a dedicated filter for just co2 so I used that and put the inline heater right after my co2 reactor. This way I did not reduce the flow of my Fluval FX4

#17 ·
Hose size for that filter is 3/4 ID. You would be fine because only reducing a fraction to 5/8 ID. I really do not think you would notice a flow reduction at all. But your call.

#20 ·
This may be a point we need to remember when choosing inline items. This filter uses 5/8 inside diameter tubing, so when we add a fitting inside like a 5/8 fitting, the inside diameter is only reduced a small amount. The inside hole in a 5/8 fitting is just less than 1/4. So cutting the size from 5/8 to 1/4 is not going to be nearly as much as we will get when reducing from 3/4 to a 5/8 fitting with a 1/4 inch inside diameter. Going from 3/4 to 1/4 will show up a lot more than 5/8 to 1/4.
It's easy to overlook small points. In this case we may think of going from 3/4 tubing to 5/8 is only losing 1/8 inch if we don't figure in the lost due to the sidewalls of the fitting that go inside the tube. Those sidewalls eat up quite a lot of space as we move into smaller and smaller tubing sizes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.