The Planted Tank Forum banner

clogged airstone/foamtube

557 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  bmeate 
#1 ·
i have my airpump hooked up to a 4ft foamtube. i have had the foam tube in use for like three years now and it seemed like it was struggling to push air through the tube for a while now ...and then the pump died on me. well it got real loud and stopped pushing air through the foam tube, i am assuming it is dead

1. should i have been cleaning or replacing the tube? can the tube be cleaned? a new tube is $10, is there a cheaper alternative to these foam tubes? i imagine one those big bubbler things which make huge bubbles is no where near as effective as a foam tube which makes tons of little bubbles

2. can these $10 or $20 air pumps be serviced or fixed?

i should also note that i have a super lowtech 55gal and the airpump is my only form of water circulation as i usually dont use a filter (i have been using an HOB since the pump failed, but the intake foam filter usually cloggs within a week or two and im away from my tank for up to 8 weeks at a time)

#2 ·
I don't know about the tubing, but I have seen repair kits for sale (online) for air pumps.

However when I tried to use one to fix a faulty air pump I couldn't get it to go again. That's probably just my ineptitude with mechanical things. For me it ended up being less frustrating/cheaper to just buy a new pump. (Which disappoints me, because I'd rather make things work again than buy new again... ) Maybe you can find a youtube video how to fix the pump w/kit? I'd look for one if I tried to do it again.

#4 ·
I know the airstones can get clogged over time with mineral deposits and need replacing- especially if you have water water. I imagine the same thing happens w/the foam tube kind. Disconnect the foam tubing from the pump. If you run the pump w/the airline, do you get bubbles coming out of the airline? If you blow through the airline, do you get bubbles coming out of the foam tubing? this will tell you if it's the foam tubing clogged, or your air pump has failed.

#5 ·
Airstones can be renewed with a soak in diluted muratic acid, foam airstones should be replaced. If your air pump is older check the filter on the intake, it make a big difference in the amount of air flow over time. make sure there is no kink in the line. Look into a repair kit if needed

Dan

#6 ·
my foam diffuser has been releasing less and less bubbles and i believe that -over time- burned out the motor on the air pump

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.