Efficient Co2 reactors? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Efficient Co2 reactors?

I need a new co2 diffuser, something to get the co2 into the tank. Currently I just use some cheap atomizer but I think I for sure want to go the route of an atomizer. I'm looking at one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Gulfstream-Tr...TVB7RRJ5EXQ5HM
https://www.amazon.com/Gulfstream-Tr...TVB7RRJ5EXQ5HM

or a green leaf

Atomic Inline CO2 Diffuser 16/22mm | Green Leaf Aquariums

Not sure. Respond soon please so I can order one of these things. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 02:32 AM
Algae Grower

You can make one yourself pretty easily. Either a cerges or a rex grigg will work.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 04:31 AM
Planted Member

I got the Sera Flore Active CO2 Reactor 500 and run it inline with a dedicated Fluval 206 with absolutely no media in it. I get zero and I mean absolutely zero bubbles in display tank. The reactor is dead silent. One of the best purchases for my entire system. Place the 206 out right behind my main filter Fluval FX4 out for optimal co2 dismemberment and it absolutely works awesome. I am telling you save yourself the trouble, do not get those but get the Sera Flore. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not sure why the pictures are tilted but you get the idea. With the atomizers and diffuses you will still get some bubbles in the tank. If you want the cleanest and best co2 dismemberment system go with the reactor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3857.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	734234  

Name:	IMG_3858.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	734242  

Name:	IMG_3859.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	734250  

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownplanted View Post
I got the Sera Flore Active CO2 Reactor 500 and run it inline with a dedicated Fluval 206 with absolutely no media in it. I get zero and I mean absolutely zero bubbles in display tank. The reactor is dead silent. One of the best purchases for my entire system. Place the 206 out right behind my main filter Fluval FX4 out for optimal co2 dismemberment and it absolutely works awesome. I am telling you save yourself the trouble, do not get those but get the Sera Flore. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not sure why the pictures are tilted but you get the idea. With the atomizers and diffuses you will still get some bubbles in the tank. If you want the cleanest and best co2 dismemberment system go with the reactor.
This is for a 10 gallon tank. Is the sera flore good for 10 gallons? It says it's rated for like 60-120. Thanks

Bump: Also I use 1/2 inch tubing... I don't think the SERA would work.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 04:31 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooledwhip View Post
This is for a 10 gallon tank. Is the sera flore good for 10 gallons? It says it's rated for like 60-120. Thanks

Bump: Also I use 1/2 inch tubing... I don't think the SERA would work.

All depends on the canister filter you use. I use the 206 which also has 1/2 hose. Just get barbed adapters to go from 5/8 to 1/2. It works great. You could use the same design I use. Trust me it works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
All depends on the canister filter you use. I use the 206 which also has 1/2 hose. Just get barbed adapters to go from 5/8 to 1/2. It works great. You could use the same design I use. Trust me it works great.

With the Fluval 6 series canister filters i.e. Fluval 106/206/306 regardless of the hose size the rubber adapters that connect the canister to hose is 5/8 to whatever hose size in my case is 5/8 to 1/2. So what I did was get an extra set of rubber hose adapters that connect then the reactor to the hosing. If you look at the pic I sent you will see what I am talking about. Again the hose is 1/2 and connects no problem to the reactor via the rubber adapters. You could if u have the money get a dedicated canister filter in your case I would get the Fluval 106. Again same exact setup I have but with the Fluval 206 which in the pics you see right next to the reactor. If you are interested in the setup more specifically you can pm me.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 03-18-2017 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
With the Fluval 6 series canister filters i.e. Fluval 106/206/306 regardless of the hose size the rubber adapters that connect the canister to hose is 5/8 to whatever hose size in my case is 5/8 to 1/2. So what I did was get an extra set of rubber hose adapters that connect then the reactor to the hosing. If you look at the pic I sent you will see what I am talking about. Again the hose is 1/2 and connects no problem to the reactor via the rubber adapters. You could if u have the money get a dedicated canister filter in your case I would get the Fluval 106. Again same exact setup I have but with the Fluval 206 which in the pics you see right next to the reactor. If you are interested in the setup more specifically you can pm me.

Awesome thanks for the help. Yeah I have a fluval 306 on my 29 gallon but I just use an atomizer into the filter intake.

I will buy the extra rubber adapters, I think I know what you are talking about.

Where can I get some? Thanks
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 06:06 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Awesome thanks for the help. Yeah I have a fluval 306 on my 29 gallon but I just use an atomizer into the filter intake.

I will buy the extra rubber adapters, I think I know what you are talking about.

Where can I get some? Thanks
Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002Z7V3W/

Then just get some hose clamps and it works to seal the ends. Because I was short some ribbed hosing due to having to use some when going from the filter to reactor I just bought some 1/2 ID clear hose and hooked it up to the existing ribbed hosing for the out using a plastic 1/2 to 1/2 barbed adapter. That is why you see the clear hosing going from reactor out. If you have enough existing fluval 306 ribbed hosing then you are good.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3904.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	734354  

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002Z7V3W/

Then just get some hose clamps and it works to seal the ends. Because I was short some ribbed hosing due to having to use some when going from the filter to reactor I just bought some 1/2 ID clear hose and hooked it up to the existing ribbed hosing for the out using a plastic 1/2 to 1/2 barbed adapter. That is why you see the clear hosing going from reactor out. If you have enough existing fluval 306 ribbed hosing then you are good.
Actually I don't even think it's half inch tubing. This is the filter I have.

National Geographic? Aquarium Filter | fish Filters | PetSmart

It says no where the tubing size and I measured it and it's NOT 1/2 inch its a really weird measurement.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 10:59 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Actually I don't even think it's half inch tubing. This is the filter I have.

National Geographic? Aquarium Filter | fish Filters | PetSmart

It says no where the tubing size and I measured it and it's NOT 1/2 inch its a really weird measurement.
Strange. Maybe its 5/8? It should be 1/2. its hard to find the specs for it. Its basically a re branded eheim ecco filter. I would just take the hose you have in to the hardware store and find a barbed adapter that will fit it that goes to 5/8 and you should be good. Are you measuring the ID?(Inner Diameter)

National Geographic Filter ??? What do you think? - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The inner diameter is pretty much a centimeter in diameter. I have no idea why they used odd measurements though. Should I try the Sera one you suggested? I don't want to risk anything. Not sure what to do here.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 12:15 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
The inner diameter is pretty much a centimeter in diameter. I have no idea why they used odd measurements though. Should I try the Sera one you suggested? I don't want to risk anything. Not sure what to do here.

Yes for sure. I love the Sera. That sounds like you only measured the thickness of the hose. That's not what you need. You want to measure the opening. From end to end on the inside. Make sense? I'll take a pic

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 12:16 AM
Planted Member

So this hose ID is 5/8

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah I know how to measure the tubing diameter it's about a centimeter like i said.

3/8 inches... it's more clear now that I look back on it. Odd. 3/8 of an inch. It's really small tubing.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 12:56 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Yeah I know how to measure the tubing diameter it's about a centimeter like i said.

3/8 inches... it's more clear now that I look back on it. Odd. 3/8 of an inch. It's really small tubing.
Ok in that case no problem. Just need two of these 3/8" to 5/8" https://www.freshwatersystems.com/p-...d-x-38-id.aspx

Should have at your local hardware store. Then get a short length of 5/8" clear hose to go from the Sera Flora reactor to adapter. And then the other end of adapter to your existing hose you have for the out. Then another short 5/8" clear hose to go from other port of reactor to go to other 5/8" to 3/8" barb then the 3/8" hose to your canister.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Ok in that case no problem. Just need two of these 3/8" to 5/8" https://www.freshwatersystems.com/p-...d-x-38-id.aspx

Should have at your local hardware store. Then get a short length of 5/8" clear hose to go from the Sera Flora reactor to adapter. And then the other end of adapter to your existing hose you have for the out. Then another short 5/8" clear hose to go from other port of reactor to go to other 5/8" to 3/8" barb then the 3/8" hose to your canister.
Complicated....

Would a green leaf aquariums reactor work? It's like a MINI reactor with a diffuser inside so it's already small bubbles when it gets pumped into the output.

My canister filter is exposed all these adapters and stuff would just look ugly,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode