CO2 Tubing Help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

CO2 Tubing Help

So this is probably the one of the simplest things to figure out, but I just can't seem to wrap my head around it. I'm about to place an order for a regulator and other miscellaneous things from CO2Art, but I am hung up on the tubing. I'd like to NOT order the tubing from their website and instead source something locally or Amazon.

This is the tubing available they have for sale. Specs list it at 4mm ID and 6mm OD.

QUESTION: What size tubing do I need in Freedom Units? Most everything I see is either 1/8" or 3/16" ID. I emailed CO2Art support and asked; they said I would need 1/4", but this seems... large. So, what do I need?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 01:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

I just bought whatever was on amazon. It is black, and be warned, it is super stiff. Airline tubing is generally 3/16" and most of what you will buy is going to be that size if it was intended for an aquarium. Even if it is a bit small, some hot water can soften it enough to stretch over a barb or fitting.

A 16-year old that faces parental opposition in this hobby
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=237065&dateline=14898  54398
55g High Tech, Dutch (Sort of)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 02:05 AM
Algae Grower

Anything co2 rated that is 3/16" ID, I use the Aquatek stuff.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 05:28 AM
Planted Member

Clear CO2 Resistant Tubing | Green Leaf Aquariums

^the OD on their tubing is 6mm

Specs: Aqueon 135 Gallon, 55 Gallon Sump, 3x SBReef FW LEDs
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 12:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Best fit I found for atomizers ect seems to be 1/8" i.d. 1/4" o.d.
Lot of tubing is 3/16" o.d. and a bit loose in some parts though useable.

As to type of tubing,lots of scuttlebut on this.
If money is no option found this stuff has an appealing color and very low CO2 permeability..but at over $1/ft certainly not economical..
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PHF06C/ref=biss_dp_t_asn

After 6 months using it (took awhile to find the right size locally) no brittleness as I found in standard PVC..
got to admit some of the appeal is the chartreuse color.. Odd I know..
There is no "need" for this quality or price.

Only real arguable tubing to avoid is silicone (relatively high CO2 permeability but really only applies to high pressure and long runs and may only "waste" a few $'s in CO2) unless you have glass outlets. Then is is almost a necessity, but save it for the last mile so to speak..

Keep in mind most of these PVC type tubing is only rated to about 30-40psi..
High pressure tubing is more the poyurethane (stiff) water line type stuff and "I" found it really doesn't fit well w/ a lot of stuff. Rating in these sizes is usually well beyond 40psi..
Dirt cheap though..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 12:20 PM
Planted Member

I use this tubing from Amazon. It is pretty stiff, but has worked well for me over the years.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 02:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I`m just wondering at what pressure and length of run these various tubings are tested at to determine the high CO2 permeability.
Any one care to enlighten me on the CO2 permeability of regular vinyl air line tubing?
How about the cost of the vinyl air line tubing stack up against the very good low CO2 permeability tubing ?
Just curious , since i can walk into most pet stores and hardware store like the home depots of the world and pick up some..
Just curious , if i`m doing it wrong along

A forum user's post count is like watts/gallon. It doesn't tell you anything about the quality of what they're giving.
Do it then talk, nah do it nah talk
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pG...p?do=myGallery
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 03:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie 1 View Post
I`m just wondering at what pressure and length of run these various tubings are tested at to determine the high CO2 permeability.
Any one care to enlighten me on the CO2 permeability of regular vinyl air line tubing?
How about the cost of the vinyl air line tubing stack up against the very good low CO2 permeability tubing ?
Just curious , since i can walk into most pet stores and hardware store like the home depots of the world and pick up some..
Just curious , if i`m doing it wrong along
most discussions revolve around this table:
https://www.coleparmer.com/tech-arti...election-guide

That said, w/ some number crunching inc. cost of CO2 most is more academic than actual esp since any CO2 loss is generally low in value..
The physics is complicated (beyond me that is for sure)...length of run, real pressure, ect...
co2 tubing ? - Aquarium Plants - Barr Report

Pressure ratings can be found. Depends on wall thickness and material.
Sioux Chief 1/4 in. O.D. x 1/8 in. I.D. x 10 ft. Vinyl Micro Fuel Line-900-14023R0010H - The Home Depot

this is 80psi..

Vinyl Tubing | Parker PV Series

1/4 o.d tubing from 22 to 65psi.

Back a bit to the Barr thread, this is what is problematic for me:
Quote:
For any tubing after a needle valve (which cuts flow and creates a pressure drop) you would use the pressure required to push the bubbles down into the tank water and that's it, which would be 1psi for every 2.3' of depth the CO2 hose goes below the water surface.
Past my needle valve and going to the atomizer I would bet my psi is higher than 1..
still.. and to be honest, probably not an economical issue..

The tubing I hyped in my first post was based on pressure rating,color, lack of hardening (still in test) and as a side note permeability...

for fun and arguably the best.. @ $4/ft..
https://www.coleparmer.com/i/cole-pa...FQW4wAodhycKXg

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

Last edited by jeffkrol; 03-08-2017 at 05:48 PM. Reason: edit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode