Warning about atomizers - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Warning about atomizers

Back in Sept. I bought a "new style' in-line atomizer for my 55gal tank.
I have been having problems getting this tank stable of awhile now.
Finally got some time today to do some research and maintenance.

What I found was alarming..
Atomizer was not clear of water..so, even though I had done it b4, I did a leak check.
Found a leak BUT where I found it was unexpected..
I was getting bubbling from the HOUSING of the reactor..top middle..
Second image shows where the leak was occurring.
Here is why:

Can't think of any cause but bad plastic..and, honestly, may have been there since day 1.
Most will probably notice something like this much sooner but it was tucked in a really inconvenient place on this tank.

any more cracking at this could have caused the entire tank to dump..

Again this is a "new model" w/ a replaceable ceramic insert..

Forgot to add the "adding insult to injury" part..
On dis-assemblying it I dropped and broke the ceramic diffuser insert..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 09:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah, they really need to strengthen the plastic. A lot of pressure in there trying to push the co2 through the ceramic. If you want to get more life out of that one, you can coat it with epoxy to make a new hard shell, maybe. Sounds like it would work. Still, for the price you pay, you should get better quality and shouldn't have to make repairs.

I try to follow the K.I.S.S. Principle, but it's just no fun.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

The seller is willing to replace it BUT not sure if that is a wise choice.. Personally think the plastic is not up to the pressure..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 02:46 PM
Children Boogie

Yeah, I think it's pretty common. In addition to the pressure, the plastic could further be made brittle with exposure to CO2(only a theory).
That housing should be made of metal IMO.
Maryland Guppy likes this.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 03:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Out of curiosity was this one from" UP" Aqua?
Reason been is that i use to use the older styles from" UP" without experiencing that.

A forum user's post count is like watts/gallon. It doesn't tell you anything about the quality of what they're giving.
Do it then talk, nah do it nah talk
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pG...p?do=myGallery
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie 1 View Post
Out of curiosity was this one from" UP" Aqua?
Reason been is that i use to use the older styles from" UP" without experiencing that.
Just a flea bay seller.. On the 40 I have one of the "old styles" that has zero crazing over 2 years..
I did push this one to 45psi...

I really think it is just bad plastic, and pretty specific to this style of Chinese knock off..
Unintended consequences I suspect..

just if anyone is using the "repairable" model.. really needs to check it...

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
Yeah, I think it's pretty common. In addition to the pressure, the plastic could further be made brittle with exposure to CO2(only a theory).
That housing should be made of metal IMO.
Hmmm.. like to verify that. older styles don't show any crazing...
One of the reasons for posting this.. see if anyone else has this issue...

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Well should finish this story I suppose.
after contacting the seller they were more than willing to replace it for free.
Well.. not being really crazy about the fact that the plastic used is sub-standard for this use (my opinion) I mentioned I'd prefer a credit and then exchange for a different model, paying any difference in price of course.
Was told that wasn't an option but offered a discount on a different one..

well since I currently don't need 2 atomizers, and have a substitute (disc) for use for now I turned down the offer.
To be honest I was a bit ticked off already..

Bottom line, I get a new piece of kit that I have zero faith in...and a supplier I will never buy from again.
To be honest, first one in a looooooong time (knock on wood).

If anyone has another opinion on the plastic crazing and cause, I'm listening..
did run it at 45psi for awhile..

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 12:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to IUnknown
Maybe try a heavy duty one:
[Ebay Link Removed] CO2 Atomiser Diffuser Bubble Counter Planted Aquarium 13mm 12 16 | eBay[/url]
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Personal update and rant:

After dealing w/ the supplier of this junk all they were willing to do is send a replacement "tank". Tried to get them to exchange for a better product but they refused.
Wouldn't even just send a new complete unit.. which is, in a sense, fine but certainly not what I consider normal (who carries spare parts).

Bottom line I got stuck w/ what I assume has bad plastic (certainly not "one of" from the looks of it)
Couldn't exchange it for a better product (also, in my experience, unusual) and overall a horrible experience.

To add insult to injury I even tossed the orig thinking they would send a new unit. In their defense on this they did state "part"..
Just annoying spending money on something one will never use out of fear of a repeat, and worse, problem..

Product was bought in Sept. so little recourse at paypal or eek bay..
won't be the first retired part I bought but the first that I consider "dangerous"....

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 10:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I actually ordered this exact model and hoping I don't have the same result. I would have done as another stated and coat the stress cracks with epoxy but I'm cheap like that and you shouldn't have to do that. I noticed you said you ran it at 45psi for a while and I can only assume this was a contributing factor since its working pressure is only 30 psi. so that would be 1.5 times the recommended but with that said it sure doesn't leave a lot of confidence in my mind taking into account aging of the plastic. Fingers crossed here.

Dan
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman911 View Post
I actually ordered this exact model and hoping I don't have the same result. I would have done as another stated and coat the stress cracks with epoxy but I'm cheap like that and you shouldn't have to do that. I noticed you said you ran it at 45psi for a while and I can only assume this was a contributing factor since its working pressure is only 30 psi. so that would be 1.5 times the recommended but with that said it sure doesn't leave a lot of confidence in my mind taking into account aging of the plastic. Fingers crossed here.

Dan
Bought it in Sept of last year.. Certainly not aged..
I've run the "style" (ISTA brand, non-replaceable atomizer, slightly different colored plastic) at 40-ish cont. psi w/ no problem..

Plastic check valves never crazed. Plastic bubble counters either.. just an FYI..

Like I assume.. mine is a chinese knockoff of a chinese knockoff..

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 01:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I had one of these types break open on me. It broke off right where the tubing attaches.

Amazingly I was standing right there, and it was still an all out panic and a huge mess. Vowed never to put one in line on a tank again and built a Cerges. Well worth the time and money for the peace of mind.

Last edited by Greggz; 02-15-2017 at 01:40 AM. Reason: typo
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 01:42 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
I had one of these types break open on me. It broke off right where the tubing attaches.

Amazingly I was standing right there, and it was still an all out panic and a huge mess. Vowed never to put one in line on a tank again and built a Cerges. Well worth the time and money for the peace of mind.
Yes, but I still don't trust my rex grigg reactor, I am paranoid that the tubes are going to pop off when I am sleeping and flood when I am not awake.

A 16-year old that faces parental opposition in this hobby
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=237065&dateline=14898  54398
55g High Tech, Dutch (Sort of)
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 01:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
Bought it in Sept of last year.. Certainly not aged..
I've run the "style" (ISTA brand, non-replaceable atomizer, slightly different colored plastic) at 40-ish cont. psi w/ no problem..

Plastic check valves never crazed. Plastic bubble counters either.. just an FYI..

Like I assume.. mine is a chinese knockoff of a chinese knockoff..
Yeah I'm thinking I will shelve it and build my own since I have almost everything I need laying around here anyways. Thanks for the warning as the more I think about the risk vs. reward the more I can see myself using more than a few choice words while emptying the linen closet and telling myself I knew I shouldn't have used it.

Dan
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 02:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman911 View Post
YThanks for the warning as the more I think about the risk vs. reward the more I can see myself using more than a few choice words while emptying the linen closet and telling myself I knew I shouldn't have used it.
Dman911 here's the thread I started when mine failed on a Monday night. You will get the feel for what you want to avoid.

In Line CO2 Diffuser failure…..Monday Night Panic!
Dman911 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode