Cheap and decent needle valve - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Cheap and decent needle valve

Couldn't find any of the known to be reliable needle valves available locally so searched around on eBay for a cheap alternative while I take my time to hunt.

Came across this cheapo which arrived last night. Mounted it to the regulator's on / off valve and set it to 1 bubble every 3 seconds which of course is inapplicable for a 50G but I just wanted to see how long it'd hold that setting.

The needle valve's knob undergoes many rotations from end to end BUT don't be fooled. Half of those turns are full ons.

The hose connector swivels 360į so you don't have to worry about holding it to a preferred angle while bolting it on.

Will keep folks updated on how it goes but for this price, even if it only lasts for 6 months, it's still worth it.

ps. Shipping's free!!!

Not bad for its first 10 hours. Still maintained its 1 bubble per 3 seconds rate.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 01-06-2017 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 02:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Last edited by Watercrayfish; 01-14-2017 at 01:15 AM. Reason: NA
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 08:34 PM
Algae Grower

Are you using standard 1/4 inch tubing?
Listed as 6mm push connect which is a tiny bit smaller.

Thanks. DougN

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I am indeed using 6mm tubing. That's pretty standard where I am but I believe they have versions with push connectors for other diameters.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 05:56 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Would also like to know the working pressure that it is able to produce this bubble rate at. Aquarium airline tubing is 3/16", does this fit in the quick connect?

Don't get caught with your plants down
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvadna View Post
Would also like to know the working pressure that it is able to produce this bubble rate at. Aquarium airline tubing is 3/16", does this fit in the quick connect?
Bubble rate of 1 bubble per 3 seconds? The working pressure wasn't important actually because the flow control could achieve that on its own but for what it's worth, I set mine around 10 psi then. Experimenting with 10 psi at this very moment and can still achieve the same bubble rate.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 05:05 AM
Planted Member

I hope is works we use these at work with our pneumatic machines they generally last a long time 2 + years I always assumed that they were not fine enough for our purposes. I only wonder how they would hold up with co2. We use these with for air.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 02:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

If there is a problem with that valve it will most likely be a leakage problem. It is very hard to seal well enough to avoid even the very tiny leaks that quickly dissipate all of the CO2 in the tank. The seal around the stem of the valve are most susceptible because they are rotary seals. Then, of course, a bubble per second of CO2 is an extremely small flow rate, much smaller than cheap needle valves are made to control.

Hoppy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode