0-10 Minute feeder timer project in 15 Minutes! - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By 2manyfish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

0-10 Minute feeder timer project in 15 Minutes!

Hi all,
I wanted to contribute something after reading thousands of interesting articles through the years on this forum. I recently moved selling off most of my equipment in the process. All of my custom cabinets had built in timers for feeding purposes. I have recently started up some nano tanks and missed my timers for feeding, so I did a quick search and found nothing of interest for the cost. I used to use Omron timers but they are around $250.00 each. I went at this with a low tech approach this time. I found a timer on Amazon that is used for protecting A/C compressors from rapid cycling. It is a simple delay circuit that cuts the power after you press the button for a preset amount of time. The delay can be set between .03-10 Minutes. I have found that 10 minutes is a perfect time for my needs. I can feed the top water and mid water swimmers easily before my filters come on and eat all the food up. I put it all together in 15 minutes...I wasn't trying to win award for a clean look as it sits inside my cabinet next to the food. i built this in a standard plastic 2X4" electrical box and everything fit nicely. It could have been housed in a 4X4" box with s socket easily...The best part is, it cost under $15.00 to make! The most expensive part is the timer module. I found many different higher prices for this, but Amazon has it for $5.50

Hope someone can use this,
-2manyfish

Parts:
1 ICM Controls ICM203 Delay-on-Break Timer with 0.03 minutes-10 minutes, Adjustable Time Delay, (Amazon)
1 NC Momentary Push Button Switch Amazon (Uxcell a15070300ux0231 NO/NC SPDT Momentary Push Button Switch, 5 Piece, AC 250V, 2Amp / 120V, 5 Amp)
1 power cord cut in half or 110V-220v Socket depending on your application.
1 Utility box 2X4", 4X4" (Optional)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1345.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	704898  

Name:	IMG_1343.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	704906  

Name:	IMG_1346.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	704914  

Name:	IMG_1348.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	704922  

DaveK and livingf1t like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 10:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

There are definitely people that can use this. I'm glad someone finally came up with a low cost solution
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That makes my year! If anyone needs assistance building this, I will be happy to help.
-2manyfish

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 03:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

The original post requires more than just a "Like" This is a really useful project.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode