The Planted Tank Forum banner

C02 Canister Question

943 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  PlantedRich 
#1 ·
Made the switch from DIY C02 to Pressurized a few months ago. Using a 5lb tank. It's been running 3bps for about 3 months and registering 900psi the entire time.

After returning from a two week vacation, it now registers 800psi. Just curious, now that the high pressure gauge is dropping, about how long before the tank needs switching out? Days, weeks, another month or two?

Thanks for the experience.

#3 ·
As soon as the tank starts dropping in pressure (and it is NOT related to temp changes.. say going from 75 to 69 degrees ambient) it signifies all the liquid CO2 is used up.
All that remains is a volme of gas
As to how long it lasts is based on rate of use and tank size (obviously)..I've had smaller bps (like one) last a few weeks at this point..
I'd (guess) give yours a week..

now would be the time to see how long your system lasts for future reference IF you can afford to have it empty (good regulator, ease and speed of getting a fill)

I suspect many just change out when the pressure starts droppng.. little real $ waste and no EOTD

#5 · (Edited)
It's been 2 weeks today. It's going at 3bps and is down to 250lbs this morning. I may go ahead and exchange it today.

UPDATE: Well I didn't get around to exchanging the tank on Friday and this morning, Monday, it's down to 200lbs. I plan to watch it and run it as long as it will go this week. I'll post when it runs out.

#6 ·
Well I still didn't get around to exchanging the tank. It ran through yesterday and the needle hit the peg this morning. That's 3 1/2 weeks, and it ran 3 BPS until the needle read 0. It's the most basic GLA GRO regulator available. On my way to the supply house now.

#7 ·
Good info for new folks to find out so they can judge better for the future events.
I call it somewhat bold and don't cut it quite that close as my gas is very cheap and time/effort to drive over for the swap is more than the minor amount of remaining CO2 that I would save. My gasoline is more expensive than my CO2 ?
So it is something we each need to figure out on a tank by tank basis.
Good show in your case!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.