The Planted Tank Forum banner

Co2 system leaking or damaged? Help please

4K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  torque6 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have a problem with my co2 system. Hope I can get some help. When I first install the solenoid, it as reading 1000 psi (left gauge) and 60 psi (right gauge). After 5 hours of co2 injection, the left gauge reads 0 and the right gauge became closer to 40.

I thought nothing of it and it ran for about day or two. I discovered co2 was no longer being injected in the tank on the 3rd day and the right gauge fell to 20 PSI.

I unscrewed the bolts and reinstall the solenoid. The gauge surprisingly went back up to 1000 psi (left gauge) and 50 psi (right gauge).

The main knob on my co2 cylinder is only 1/10 opened (as I didn't open it all the way).

Can i asked if I have a leak or are the gauges faulty?

See less See more
#4 ·
The larger psi gauge only measures tank pressure..If it goes from 100psi to zero either 1)tanks empty or 2)tank valve is closed/stuck..

If you "charge" the regulator (valve open/ hp gauge at high pressure (can be anywhere from 0-1000psi in your case but full will be around 600-1000 depending)
and set the output pressure, then close the tank valve and shut the solenoid off BOTH gauges should stay the same for a long period of time.. say 1000/40psi.

If not, you have a leak somewhere..

#6 ·
Thanks Jeff for the explanation, but I don't quite understand 2). Does it mean the tank pressure will drop to 0 if the solenoid is off?

What is the meaning of "charge"?

It doesn't say why it has to be open one full turn. But on another website for brewing it also says to open the cylinder valve full open. I doubt that valve is designed to regulate flow... I'm sure that's what the regulator itself is for. You could be just damaging something. And you're always suppose to have the adjustment screw on the regulator fully loose when attaching or detaching the regulator or the low pressure gauge could get damaged. And isn't 50 psi working pressure too high? I'm not familiar with any other regulator than the one I just got but if says to set it between 35- 45 psi for this product regulator with a manifold. But I think there must be other systems that run at lower psi.
Not sure, the output reads 50 PSI. ANS did design the solenoid regulator to be use with the atomiser, so I can thinking maybe a higher pressure is needed.

#5 ·
It doesn't say why it has to be open one full turn. But on another website for brewing it also says to open the cylinder valve full open. I doubt that valve is designed to regulate flow... I'm sure that's what the regulator itself is for. You could be just damaging something. And you're always suppose to have the adjustment screw on the regulator fully loose when attaching or detaching the regulator or the low pressure gauge could get damaged. And isn't 50 psi working pressure too high? I'm not familiar with any other regulator than the one I just got but if says to set it between 35- 45 psi for this product regulator with a manifold. But I think there must be other systems that run at lower psi.

#7 ·
#9 ·
Hi kevmo, appreciate the comment. Already done a soapy test using children's bubble solution. There is no bubbles forming on the connectors or anything.

When you open the gas cylinder valve and then close the gas cylinder valve (w/ the solenoid in the off position) you sealed a "charge of gas" in the system from the outlet of the cylinder to the inlet of the solenoid..
At this point in time both the high pressure gauge and the low pressure gauge will not increase nor decrease for a good amount of time.. A quick drop in any one of them indicates a serious leak..
This explains the loud pop of gas when I tried opening/ unlock the bolt to remove the solenoid regulator, after "charging it". Thank you Jeff, I understand now.

#8 ·
When you open the gas cylinder valve and then close the gas cylinder valve (w/ the solenoid in the off position) you sealed a "charge of gas" in the system from the outlet of the cylinder to the inlet of the solenoid..
At this point in time both the high pressure gauge and the low pressure gauge will not increase nor decrease for a good amount of time.. A quick drop in any one of them indicates a serious leak..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.