Filter suggestion with limited space - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Filter suggestion with limited space

Hello all,

I am new to plantedtank.net but not new to planted tanks. My question is what filtration system would anyone suggest with limited space. The aquarium I have is 22 gallon Mr.Aqua aquarium that sits on an Ikea dresser. Im hesitant to get a Aquaclear as this will not provide adequate flow in the tank (trying to avoid dead spots in the aquarium. I don't want to have a lot of equipment just laying on the dresser such as the co2 setup and then a canister. I would also like to avoid as much equipment in the tank as well such as a power head. What would anyone suggest? Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 03:45 AM
Algae Grower

Well, if you don't want to go with an Aquaclear, and you don't want anything on the dresser or in the tank........? There are some smaller canister filters that hang on the side of the aquarium but I don't know anything about their flow rates or if they would be any better than an Aquaclear. SunSun does have some inside the tank filters with very impressive flow rates (JP series I believe) but while they are fairly thin, they do take up some square inches on the glass.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So if I were to get a canister, I'm assuming a eheim 2213 should be sufficient for the aquarium I have?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 03:46 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morillonj23 View Post
So if I were to get a canister, I'm assuming a eheim 2213 should be sufficient for the aquarium I have?
I would think that it should be but I don't know what kind of flow rate you're looking for that made you decide against an Aquaclear. The 2213 is a great filter and will work well on a 22 gallon.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 04:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hmf?

Askhole :

Someone who asks for advice, then does the exact opposite.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/20...ne-heater.html
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 05:02 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finster View Post
I would think that it should be but I don't know what kind of flow rate you're looking for that made you decide against an Aquaclear. The 2213 is a great filter and will work well on a 22 gallon.
I have heard that the flow rate drops dramatically after 2 weeks or so. I have a 16gal and have been debating on the 2213 but after hearing that im now thinking of the 2215. Im too torn now. No clue what to do.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm not opposed to an aquaclear. I've owned 3 of them and they're great filters. I just want enough flow to reach the other side of the aquarium and to avoid dead spots where algae could potentially grow. I believe I can put a small canister behind the aquarium so the 2213 I think fits he bill. This would be my first eheim as I only have experience with cascade canisters.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 06:39 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morillonj23 View Post
I'm not opposed to an aquaclear. I've owned 3 of them and they're great filters. I just want enough flow to reach the other side of the aquarium and to avoid dead spots where algae could potentially grow. I believe I can put a small canister behind the aquarium so the 2213 I think fits he bill. This would be my first eheim as I only have experience with cascade canisters.
I use almost nothing but canister filters. I love them. I don't know much about the particular tank you have but I have several 29 gallon tanks that are actually 25 gallons from what I've read. I use SunSun 302 canister filters in them. They are rated (over rated) at 265 gallons per hour. It is not too much for a tank not much bigger than yours. Just don't know how much room you have but if it fits, I could recommend the SunSun.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode