The Planted Tank Forum banner

Check valve direction

805 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  JohnsTank 
#1 ·
So I ordered this item based on the recommendation of a fellow forum member. He said he's never had one fail on him and for $1.50ea, it was an easy decision. They arrived today but I can't see a marking as to the direction of flow. Now common sense tells me that it looks as though it flows toward the direction of the side that has the cone shape on it. Can anyone confirm?

See less See more
#2 ·
so if you look at your picture the check valve should go flate on bottom cone on top..so example if you have it coming from an air pump...you go air pump, tubing then flate part, cone up then the tubing going up..if you get what i mean..so when water flows back it hits the cone part first which should stop it...also it never hurts to put 2 or so on each line of tubing..just in case one fails you have another to stop it..also a way to check is when you blow into the port with the flat side air should flow through it easily...blow on the other side it should be hard and no air flow through it..hopefully that helps so you know how to test the direction of the check valve

#7 ·
Do you know what kind you bought? I have the same ones with the viton/kynar diaphragm and I had water pass through within the first 24 hours.

On a side note on the ones I have you can blow on one end to see which direction the airflow should go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.