The Planted Tank Forum banner

Odd spot in silicone?

2K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Blackheart 
#1 ·
So when I picked up my new Marineland 40 gallon tank, everything looked good except I found this one odd spot in the silicone... Not really entirely sure what it is. It almost looks like the glass is cracked or imploded or something, but it's not. I felt the area with my fingers and you can't feel anything. My tank is currently filled with water now and I'm gonna give it a week or so just to see if anything changes or have any leaks.

Is this just an imperfection in the silicone and should I be worried? The bad thing is it's not just a regular tank that you pick up at Petsmart and can return quickly if you notice this. This tank was special ordered from my LFS.

See less See more
#14 ·
How long have you had the tank? I'm assuming this is a recent acquisition?

Just because a store had to order it is no reason to think this way. Its a standard size tank so its not like it was custom built for you (which even then the seller and/or manufacturer should stand behind their product). But either way you received a damaged item and there should be no second thought to getting that made right. IMO the only benefit to purchasing a new tank from a store (as opposed to buying used) is the fact that you have someone to go to when something is wrong like this. If the store wont make it right (they really really should) then get in touch with marineland.

Reactions: Leeatl
#17 ·
Is that chip on the inside under the silicone? If it is, it's a defect from assembly. Return it, there should be no questions. Marineland is usually pretty good with standing behind their products. So your LFS should also.

#18 ·
Yup. I took it down their today and the guy from the LFS looked at it. Come to discover he said it was an air pocket and not a chip. Both me and him could tell that it wasn't a chip because when you stick your finger in the little area the spots are in, they move.
He said that's sometimes a result of using the black silicone where as with the green or clear silicone you can't really see it. He said it wasn't a cause for concern and left it up to me what to do and that he's seen this before.

He just wanted to make sure as a customer I was satisfied because he said if I wanted he could return the tank back and try to special order me another one when they come in stock. He clearly stands behind Marineland products no matter what. He said he would prefer them over Aqueon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.