The Planted Tank Forum banner

Matheson

716 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  kevmo911 
#1 ·
Is the Matheson 8-540 dual stage regulator good for a CO2 setup? The low gauge is 100psi and high gauge 3k psi. I'm completely new to this! I'm just trying to buy things little by little.

#3 ·
^This. It could be 30 years old or more. That said, the Matheson 8's are very common and can be found for very little cash. And industrial regulators, generally speaking, are high quality and last a really long time before failing. Just make sure to spend a solid 24 hours on a thorough leak test - Check Bettatail's sig for a link to leak test instructions.

One other thing - due to its age and brand, it's possible (I don't know how likely) that the thread for the nipple is something other than 1/4" NPT. It might be 1/2-27. A nipple with that thread isn't hard to find, and doesn't really cost more than the standard - maybe a couple bucks, nothing big - but it's something to look out for. You can check, before buying a replacement, by seeing if anything with a 1/4" thread, which is extremely common, screws in allright. I know some older Harris models use the 1/2-27 (Harris and Matheson are the same company), but I can't remember if I've had any Matheson models with this condition.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks everyone. I ended up buying an 8-590. I am not sure whether it requires a fine thread stem, but I think it does.

I read Bettatail's leak test. I will definitely test the regulator before building out the system.

I'm looking at the SMC AS1000 needle valves. Any idea which one to buy? The M5, M3, etc.?

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.