The Planted Tank Forum banner

$50 CO2 setups on Amazon

4K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  Hilde 
#1 ·
Are these any good at all or are they crap? I'm looking at one that's about 50 bucks, has 4.5 stars with 105 reviews. It has a single stage regulator, which I know is a minus, but it has a solenoid and all. The only things I'd need to buy in addition would be a bubble counter, diffuser/reactor and a drop checker, as far as I'm able to tell.

Would I regret having a single stage a lot? Are dual stage that much better for a 29 gallon tank?

In the same price range, on ebay, I can find similar setups that say dual gauge but I'm not sure if they're dual stage.

Or I could go with CO2Art or CO2Supermarket, but I'm seeing such mixed things about the quality of CO2Art's product and it looks like CO2Supermarket may be the same people, given the website design. Gah, I'm so lost. The only thing I have left to pick out for this tank is the CO2 rig, then I can set it up and get going.

#2 ·
i think it will come down to your budget.

DIY - $30

$30-$70

$125+

All of them will get the job done. But the more money you put, the better it will get the job done. The more money you put down first, the more you will save in the long run. Disposables are great for being small, but you will have to change it out, more cost in long run. I mean long run in 1-2 years? they also dont give a good quality of control. If it's just for fun and you dont mind your tank parameters fluctuating then its ok. If you are more serious, getting those solid brass regulators will give you the control. The mini regulators can't turn on and off to sync with your lights. It's ok, people wont die, but it'll be up to you with your $$$$$ and vision of what you imagine with your tank.

I personally would suggest atleast getting the cheap paintball co2 canister set up and getting a mini regulator/solenoid for $125. Anything below that is for fun and games. which is fine too depending on your wallet.

#3 ·
My wallet is a little bit tight but this particular tank is important. It's for my wife's office and I'm designing it to give her a calming influence. My budget isn't very high at all but the plants she likes best definitely are too high demand for DIY CO2--I need a pressurized system. I'm thinking of getting cheaper equipment for set up, fiddling with it and having to fiddle a lot for the first while and saving up to get a better CO2 setup in a year or so. I want to get this running sooner rather than later and I'd definitely be able to upgrade in a year. Just with the layout for cabinet, filter, tank, lights, etc the CO2 needs to be budget for now. I'd probably keep the lower quality CO2 as a 'backup' in case of problems once I upgrade.

Does any of this make sense in my thinking? There's just so much information out there. I've been reading for almost a solid week. I'm leaning towards the CO2 Art one but then I've seen a bunch of [censored][censored][censored][censored] about them sending out a tonne of defective units and I don't know that I've got the expertise to deal with seriously defective equipment, yet. It seems like their stuff, when it works, is great, but if it doesn't work, you're in for a roller coaster.

#7 ·
I'm thinking of getting cheaper equipment for set up, fiddling with it and having to fiddle a lot for the first while and saving up to get a better CO2 setup in a year or so.
Sounds like a waste of money. Check this thread on cost for Co2 system.

If she want a red plant the Alternanthera reineckii can grow without pressurized Co2. I think someone had it red without using the Co2 additive. He had a light stronger than a T8. That is all I remember.

Low tech tanks here Here non-co2 tanks

#4 ·
You usually get what you pay for!

But, the biggest question is what kind of co2 system is it? There are lots of other uses for co2 systems other than aquariums. The big difference is how finite your control over the dispersion rate is. Whether its a single stage or dual stage really doesn't ever come into play until you're talking about a co2 tank that is approaching empty; otherwise they both essentially do exactly the same job. The needle valves we use in the aquarium world are really the important part as thats where you really limit the flow into your aquarium. Good needle valves not only allow you to dial that down to whatever your requirements are; but they stay put at that spot and dont "float" forcing you to constantly fiddle with it. Things like growhouses, breweries etc dont require such precision, dont typically run needle valves ( I think anyway) and therefore those type of systems can be much cheaper. Usually dont work very well for aquariums though.

#5 ·
Are these any good at all or are they crap? I'm looking at one that's about 50 bucks, has 4.5 stars with 105 reviews. It has a single stage regulator, which I know is a minus, but it has a solenoid and all. The only things I'd need to buy in addition would be a bubble counter, diffuser/reactor and a drop checker, as far as I'm able to tell.
I can not find them. Could you send a link to them?

#13 ·
#16 ·
My fluval on a 10g I think for smaller tanks there a decent entry level option. Im not sure about a 29g. Although when researching I did see people use them on a 29. People complain about the cost of refills but that may be from using on to big of a tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

#17 ·
To me the most critical part of the system is the needle valve. I have the "Premium Aquatek" model that they sell on Amazon. I did have one EOTD but no fatalities. The needle valve is not very precise and things drift and have to be adjusted. It works just ok for me but my tank is in my living room, not my wife's office. (it just occurred to me that maybe it's a home office so you would be around anyway). If you get something cheap you might want to go with something that has a removable needle valve that you could upgrade later. I was lucky enough to win a damaged Victor 2 stage that was just in the RAOK section. I got it working and can't wait to get it get the needle valve, solenoid and bubble counter together so I don't have to deal with the Aquatek anymore. That being said, it was $80 and has been functioning for about 2 years.

#19 ·
It's a home office, I should have said. Her workplace is not an appropriate place for fish due to her working with animals in a lab setting. But her home office needs something relaxing and calming because her deadlines get crazy and she gets stressed out.

The removeable needle valve suggestion is a good one. I'm really leaning towards the CO2Art stuff but, like I said, I'm worried cause of reports of the regulators being no good.

#21 · (Edited)
I don't see any mention of what size tank this is for. Have you though of doing DIY Co2 with soda bottles until you can buy a good 1? The 1s done with yeast have a beer smell to them. Then there is the citric 1 .

Ch3csc is using a Sodastream bottle. The set up was just over £100

Have you shown her the pics of tank without Co2?

Here are some regulators under $50

#22 ·
It's a 29 gal. Sorry, thought I'd mentioned! The beer smell would drive her freaking nuts because she hates beer. The citric acid is a thought but I'd rather have more control.

I've shown her pics of tanks without CO2. I actually have two at home. But she really really loves the ones with and her office is her haven so I'm going to give her what she desires. I'm just trying to figure out how to do it for between 100 and 150 plus CO2 tank.

#24 ·
Are those ones any good? I've seen them before but I can't find any decent feedback that's not hosted by their own site. Are they made by the same people as CO2Art? The only reason for looking at the amazon ones over them is that amazon tends to have less partisan reviews.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.