The Planted Tank Forum banner

Fluval Edge 6 Noisy Filter SOLVED

13K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  sfshrimp 
#1 ·
When I got my Edge 6, during cycling the pump made a constant grinding noise. I kept stripping the filter and cleaning it, but I couldn't get it to stop. Over time, it got less and less to the point where it was intermittent.

Grrrrrrrrr<pause>grrrrrrrrrrrrr<pause>grrrrrrrrrrr<pause>...etc.

I sent a support ticket to Hagen to see what they thought about it. They sent me a new impeller. When I took the filter apart again, I found the shaft had some rust in it. This thing is only a month old. No way there should be rust. And obviously the replacement impeller doesn't come with the shaft.

I put the new impeller on anyway, and had the constant grinding again. Sigh.

I pulled out the silicone lube I use on rubber seals. It's Haynes brand and made for food processing equipment. FDA approved, blah blah blah. I slopped some on the shaft and put it all back together with the original impeller. The new one looked somewhat cheaper, so I'll keep it as a spare.

Blessed silence!

That's all it took. And silicone lube isn't water soluble, so it should last indefinitely. I'll reapply whenever I strip the filter to clean.

Just thought I'd share in case anybody else wants to try it. The lube I use is around $6 on Amazon, but I get mine from work since we have a division that manufactures food processing equipment.

And here's a pic of it today. Needs to have the water topped off...

Bump: Oh, and the reflection is of my 17g Mr Aqua reef tank with a planar overflow. Originally that was going to be just a holding tank while I swapped tanks on my big reef, but it became my only reef. The big tank is going planted. ;)

See less See more
#3 ·
I have two that would be fine for this tank. But the stock filter is just convenient. And if I'd started off lubing that shaft (heh) it wouldn't be any extra work at all.

Canister takes lube and stuff too. And I already had the lube. So to me, this was just exploring to find out WHY it was noisy and how to fix it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.