The Planted Tank Forum banner

Questions About Heaters

11K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  PlantedRich 
#1 ·
Can my aquarium heater touch the hardscape in any way without issue? If my heaters are situated between rocks, or in my case, touching coir mats, or even touching plants that grow up around them is it a bad thing? Obviously plants will burn, but will it harm the heater? I've read the instructions, and of course it says not to lay them on anything, and keep a clear space around them. But I do have coir mats that touch them. I wonder if I'm doing any harm.

Also, why do heaters break just because they are no longer submersed? Even when just partially submersed, I think I've broken them. I'm aware that water will disperse heat more quickly than air, but I'm surprised that it makes so much of a difference.

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
In my opinion, if the heater touches wood or other hardscape it should not mater as long as what it touches does not break the glass. The glass portion of the heater will get warm, but it is certainly not going to burn something under water (and thats assuming everything is under water - I have burnt heater holders because the water level went below the horizontally mounted heater). I would also suspect a plant, such as an anubus, would have no problem being near or touching the heater. A delicate plant may have an issue thou.

As for breaking a heater, I have not done that yet. Melted heater holders, yes. But that heater is still working.

#3 ·
I would also suspect a plant, such as an anubus, would have no problem being near or touching the heater.
My anubias has rested against the heater without any problems.

#5 ·
I have 2 250 watt heaters in my 75 and both have plants touching them with no issues.

#7 ·
I think of things touching heaters as more of a thing that "could/might" effect the circulation around the heater. The most common type heater doesn't sense the temperature directly but senses the temperature of the air inside the heater tube. This temperature is changed by the water temperature directly around the outside of the tube. So if there is not good circulation of the water right next to the heater, it will not be able to tell what the temperature six inches or a foot away is doing.
Like having a house thermostat in the kitchen? Every time you cook, the thermostat thinks the whole house is warm and the bedroom may be freezing!
Look at a heater to see why they may break when only part way in the water. The coil of wire that actually gets hot and glows is often at the bottom of the tube and the controls are at the top. So is the heater is half in the water the controls think it is too cold and turn the heating coil on. The bottom part overheats and the top is still cool. Hot bottom part heats and expands while the top is cool so it splits.
That glowing red coil of wire may be somewhere like around 400 degrees!

#8 ·
@PlantedRich I think just made the case for heater controllers with the probe placed as far away from the heater as is reasonably possible.

#9 ·
For the main question of whether it is a problem to have something next to the heater? I sometimes ignore what I know to be best, just to make things look the way I like.
Heaters are an eyesore to me and I like to hide them. So being a wood guy, I cut and fit wood to cover/conceal the heater. I know that having something close around the heater will make the heater work a little less than is best but I take the risk to get it out of sight.
One thing I do work on when cutting and fitting wood is to make the circulation close around the heater remain as good as possible. So if I can fit the heater in behind wood and at the same time put the intake of the canister in the same spot, I can hide two items but still have the circulation due to the filter sucking in new water around the heater tube. Getting both set in without having plastic intake actually touching the heater is a problem at times. I don't know that it would melt but then I don't want to find out I guessed wrong either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.