Power head reccomendations/placement for a 15 gallon aquarium - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Kubla
  • 1 Post By Seattle_Aquarist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Power head reccomendations/placement for a 15 gallon aquarium

Hello everyone! I have a question on how to adequately circulate carbon dioxide in my 15 gallon aquarium. I am using pressurized carbon dioxide with an in-line carbon dioxide diffuser on the return Lily pipe. My issue is is that there are two dead spots in the circulation; one in the back left of my tank behind my plants and the other directly underneath my movie pipes. I also noticed that the Lily pipes I get an accumulation of diatoms.

I would like your recommendations on some small powerheads such as the hydor pico, tunze, or sicce syncra nano to bolster the flow and to keep the carbon dioxide adequately circulating in my tank for the plants. I would also like to ask for your recommendation on proper placement of it to ensure that I'm getting the best possible flow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1467260869572.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	648162  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 05:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Hi JuanSan,

For my 30 gallon I run a Marineland C-220 canister filter and a(discontinued) Micro-Jet MC450 (450 lph / 117 gph) and my tank has more than enough flow. When using a powerhead I recommend finding one that has adjustable output.

Roy
75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XMarineland Doublebright, 2X Marineland 350 Magnum; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0 36"/46W; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED kit; all with Press. CO2; (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
Greater Seattle Aquarium Society (GSAS)

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 02:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Can you put the output of the CO2 near the input of the filter?
JuanSan likes this.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I will end up doing both of these great ideas ill move the inlet closer to the return to reduce stagnant points between them and then put a powerhead on the left well to propel the water more behing the rocks. Thank you!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 09:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanSan View Post
I will end up doing both of these great ideas ill move the inlet closer to the return to reduce stagnant points between them and then put a powerhead on the left well to propel the water more behing the rocks. Thank you!

HI JuanSan,

If you want to use the powerhead as a delivery method for CO2 I would suggest the Hagen Aquaclear Powerhead models with the venturi air (CO2) input and adjustable output. Likely the Model 20 or 30 would do the job depending upon the current GPH flow from your filter.
patfat likes this.

Roy
75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XMarineland Doublebright, 2X Marineland 350 Magnum; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0 36"/46W; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED kit; all with Press. CO2; (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
Greater Seattle Aquarium Society (GSAS)

Last edited by Seattle_Aquarist; 07-03-2016 at 04:41 AM. Reason: sp
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 09:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

To me your setup looks fine. I can't imagine you need a powerhead on a 15G. What kind of canister are you running?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
HI JuanSan,

If you want to use the powerhead as a delivery method for CO2 I would suggest the Hagen Aquaclear Powerhead models with the venturi air (CO2) input and adjustable output. Likely the Model 20 or 30 would do the job depending upon the current GPH flow flow from your filter.
Thank you for the recommendation. I am using an Eheim Ecco Pro Easy 35 canister filter (132 gal./hour).

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
To me your setup looks fine. I can't imagine you need a powerhead on a 15G. What kind of canister are you running?
Eheim Ecco Pro Easy 35 is rated to run 132 gal/hour. I moved the lily pipes to be closer together towards the front of the tank. I think this will help a lot with my flow problems as I disturbed some of the areas where diatoms were prevalent and they havent come back yet. I will watch the flow for a couple of days to verify that I indeed fixed the issue and then make my decision whether I need a power head.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 03:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanSan View Post
Eheim Ecco Pro Easy 35 is rated to run 132 gal/hour. I moved the lily pipes to be closer together towards the front of the tank. I think this will help a lot with my flow problems as I disturbed some of the areas where diatoms were prevalent and they haven't come back yet. I will watch the flow for a couple of days to verify that I indeed fixed the issue and then make my decision whether I need a power head.
That's plenty for a 15G. You can certainly get a powerhead it won't hurt anything but there is no real connection between most algae and flow.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
That's plenty for a 15G. You can certainly get a powerhead it won't hurt anything but there is no real connection between most algae and flow.
If flow is not the issue, then I guess that I would attribute the occasional diatom blooms to the excess silicates in my tank. My rationale was that diatoms were non-motile so the additional flow in some of the slower areas would reduce its proliferation. I have already noted a reduction in their numbers with moving the pipes closer together and using a lily intake pipe that was at the the the substrate level. As always thank you for your insight!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode