The Planted Tank Forum banner

filtration for planted tank

3K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  houstonhobby 
#1 ·
I have 2 tanks and each one has the hanging filter type. I'm frustrated with these filters because once a week I have to take it apart and clean out all the plant goo and the filter cartridges seem to only last a week before they start to clog - even if I rinse them good. Is there anything that is less maintenance? I do weekly 50% water changes. Should I get a canster filter? Maybe I don't need a filter at all?

Tracy

#4 ·
Depending on the filter type you may be able to use polyester batting to reduce the cost of replacing the filter every week. I use it on my HOB filter for a 10G and once i switched the water became even clearer than the previous filters.

Depending on the source of the particulate matter in your tank maybe some gravel vacuuming will help. But give us some additional details.

#6 ·
It's not as pretty, but I get less clogging if I put a coarse sponge over my intake strainer.

I have a penguin and a whisper HOB on my 55. The penguin is always clogging, but I'm too cheap to replace it. The whisper floss clogs alot less. First month it clogged alot, but now everything has settled. I think that the colony of bacteria on it helps it from clogging as much by breaking down the stuff into smaller pieces.

Polyester batting tended to restrict the flow ALOT on mine causing it to overflow. Unless you use like a thin layer or something.. It's cheap and worth a shot however.

Depending on how many fish you have, you could get away without a filter. I have no filter/circulation on my 10g. It won't look pretty because you'll get algae everywhere from circulation. Low bioload and circulation I think would be fine if it's a heavily planted tank. It would take forever for the water to clear if you kick up stuff however, have to wait for it to settle to the ground..

I've been eyeballing the SunSun Canister filters. You should look into them. AFAIK you can just use coarse media in a canister and reduce the time between cleanings. Super-fine media has the potential to clog in a day.

#7 ·
Planted tanks do create alot more debris than fish-only tanks, and this can be hard on filters.

Personally, I'd either double your current filtration on each tank or get a canister.

You can also help by keeping up with maintenance inside the tank; pruning out dead and dying leaves, and being sure to vacuum up debris during regular water changes.

#9 ·
I guess my main concern is less maintenance, and using polyester batting sounds like it might not solve my problem but is cheap enough to try. If a canister filter is easier I think I will look into getting one for my 55. I have never used one before so I don't know anything about them. Are canister's less maintenance? Where's a good place to get one? Thanks for all the good ideas.

#11 ·
Yes, you're right- using a sponge prefilter won't change your maintenance issue since then you'll just have to clean that on a weekly basis...

I guess my main concern is less maintenance, and using polyester batting sounds like it might not solve my problem but is cheap enough to try. If a canister filter is easier I think I will look into getting one for my 55. I have never used one before so I don't know anything about them. Are canister's less maintenance? Where's a good place to get one? Thanks for all the good ideas.
If you go with a canister, I'll recommend either a Rena XP3 or an Eheim 2217 for your size tank.

You can check out Ebay for used ones, or new from DrsF&S (see this thread to learn how to get big discounts over the "normal" posted price http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/swap-n-shop/90566-wtb-used-rena-xp2-xp3.html)

#12 ·
If you get a canister or any filter that is rated for a bigger setup then you will be able to do less maintenance. I got the Marineland C360 because it seemed large compared to other filters of its size. With polyester batting there are several thicknesses and densities you can get it in. I use the thick stuff because i have no fish and I am trying to get micro particles out of the water right now. But you can put in a small layer in and still have good flow.

I still have the question of what is clogging up your filter. Is it plant debris, fish poop, substrate stuffs, algae? What goes into the filter may also help you figure out how to reduce the amount of work you need to do each week. But changing a layer of batting 1-2 times a week isnt too bad. You could alternate which side of the filter you change too. v0v

#19 ·
the cartridges get clogged up in about a week. by 2 weeks they are pretty much garbage - when I rinse them they still don't let water pass through. The tubes are OK if I rinse them about every 2 weeks, otherwise they get really packed with goo. I think I'm gonna get a canister for my 55 and put the filter that's on the 55 on the 20 gal. I also picked up some batting today to try. The pantyhose idea is good - what do you use for media?

#23 ·
if your tank is heavily planted, you don't need a filter, just good circulation. i routinely net out dead leaves. i do a 50%+ water change weekly, so not much muck accumulates.
I've been breeding mystery snails for fun and have over 100 medium to large size snails, and my mollies and platies have been breeding, and so I now have a large fish population. And I feed heavily.

I went to an upholstery store near me and she gave me some scrap for free. It's thick - 1.5". I doubled it up inside the filters and covered the intake with it. The small cheap filter from walmart clogged up completely after about 4 days. I'm tossing it. The bigger one on my 55 is working very nicely. So I think for now I'll just keep doing that.
Thanks for all the suggestions!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.