Hydor vs. Eheim. Which would you recommend? - The Planted Tank Forum

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hydor vs. Eheim. Which would you recommend?

In the market for a new canister filter. Currently considering the Hydor 150 or 250; Eheim classic 2217. This will be going on a 20L planted tank. I also plan to install an ista Co2 reactor with lily pipes which is why I'm leaning towards choosing the 250 if I decide to purchase the hydor instead of eheim (thoughts?).

I know the Eheim output would match the reactor and output pipe, however I haven't found any info on the output diameter size for the hydor (if you know and wouldn't mind sharing, I would appreciate it).

Lastly, I do have some concerns about priming the eheim. Does having an inline reactor make priming the eheim more difficult/pain in the ...? That's one feature I like about the hydor, the self-priming feature and reviews seem to marvel about the zero bypass. However, reviews seem somewhat good about the hydor, vs. eheim are known to last very long. I want something that will last (unlike the fluvals which seem to crap out in the 1-2 year period)

Any thoughts/answers are appreciated. Thank you in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 03:02 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I got my 2217 about a month ago. Personally out of the 5 brands of canisters I own, it's by far the best. It's simplistic and super quiet. I have a cerges reactor inline with mine and had no problems priming it.

Just a noob
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Is there a trick to priming the filter that does not require sucking on the output tube? I'm open minded when trying new cuisine, as I worked as a sous chef for 10+ years, however fish poo is not on my bucket list of things to try....lol.

Also, it seems the tubing sizes are different input vs. output, is this just the outside diameters? Or do I need to order different size lily pipes?

Do you use the carbon pad? Usually I only use bio media, coarse sponges and rings. I would like to use two coarse sponges (one top one bottom) and the bio media the filter comes with inside a media bag. Skipping the fine filter pad and carbon pad, would this hinder the filter or cause problems in the long run with it's ability to function?

Thanks
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 08:57 AM
Algae Grower

Eheim sells a little rubber ball pump that will prime your canister without any issue and without ever needing to suck on the tube in case your lose suction/water in hoses.

I don't bother with the carbon pads in my eheims and there is no change in my water clarity - still crystal clear.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 09:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have no experience with the Hydor, but i do with Eheim and have never been disappointed.
I use 2 methods to prime the 6 filters i run , one is to fill the canister with tank water & the other is a maxi jet power head ( in tank) with appropriate tubing attached to the output pipe, i then pump water through until the air is purge from the loop, this is done with the filter unplugged .
Regards

A forum user's post count is like watts/gallon. It doesn't tell you anything about the quality of what they're giving.
Do it then talk, nah do it nah talk
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pG...p?do=myGallery
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Cool, thank you for your info. I have decided to get the eheim and will definitely look into the hand pump for priming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 02:48 PM
Planted Member

Hydor vs. Eheim. Which would you recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj2606 View Post
Is there a trick...
When the canister is cleaned just make sure it's empty. Then take the outflow off the aquarium and hold it at a low position. at least the same level as the filter. then keeping your eyes on the intake, suck the outflow until you see the water level go past the u bend at the top of the tank and gravity will take care of the rest. the water will naturally gush in and you won't get any water in your mouth. then place the outflow back and you're golden.

You know most people have no problems swimming in natural rivers and lakes but balk at the thought of priming a tank and getting aquarium water in their mouth... it's really not that bad you know

50g co2 planted tank-lighting: custom leds (cree xml-2)-filtration: 2xcanister-output: lily pipe + co2 atomiser
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 03:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by easternlethal View Post
When the canister is cleaned just make sure it's empty. Then take the outflow off the aquarium and hold it at a low position. at least the same level as the filter. then keeping your eyes on the intake, suck the outflow until you see the water level go past the u bend at the top of the tank and gravity will take care of the rest. the water will naturally gush in and you won't get any water in your mouth. then place the outflow back and you're golden.

You know most people have no problems swimming in natural rivers and lakes but balk at the thought of priming a tank and getting aquarium water in their mouth... it's really not that bad you know
THIS is incorrect!!!!!
I accidentally put my valve block on the wrong way round and was trying to suck the water through to start it.... and presto face full of all the backflow nasty detritus worms and all I imagine. lol.
Nlewis likes this.

Active - 3x 55g, 1x20T
Inactive - 25g, 20g, 10g, 2.5g
Sunsun Pimp #95
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 03:11 PM
Planted Member

dude....thats why we make sure the canister is empty first

50g co2 planted tank-lighting: custom leds (cree xml-2)-filtration: 2xcanister-output: lily pipe + co2 atomiser
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 03:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

Lol

Active - 3x 55g, 1x20T
Inactive - 25g, 20g, 10g, 2.5g
Sunsun Pimp #95
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 03:43 PM
Planted Member

In 2016 I just can't wrap my head around the idea of sucking on a hose or jumping through hoops to prime lol.

I do get why people love the classics though, amazing, straight to the point filters besides that. I have an Eheim Pro 4 on the way that I'm really looking forward to using besides my FX6.
dj2606 and Pattern8 like this.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 03:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

I use a pump and blast it in ths intake.

I already have the pump out for water changes anyhow. I use this same method on filstar, sunsun and eheim classic.
Its easier and faster then trying to use the priming method some canister come with.
I also use diy spray bars.

As far as sucking on hoses.... still do it everytime to start gravel vac.
Lonestarbandit likes this.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1sixerfan View Post
In 2016 I just can't wrap my head around the idea of sucking on a hose or jumping through hoops to prime lol.

I do get why people love the classics though, amazing, straight to the point filters besides that. I have an Eheim Pro 4 on the way that I'm really looking forward to using besides my FX6.

My thoughts exactly, we have all this technology and here we are sucking hoses to prime filters.

I did find some videos on the YouTube, where a person reattached the filter and opened the intake (waited for pressure to build up) then opened the output. The pressure was enough to prime the filter.

Another video is they fill the filter completely with tank water, leaving the output open so water is forced through the head/motor, then simply reattach everything.

The problem I see in the first scenario, if there is no water already in the lines how does the pressure start nothing is causing the siphon. And with the second trick, you would still need to siphon the intake side as this would be a rather large air pocket headed straight to the filter.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 05:11 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Got the 2215..here best thing to do is have a little pump or one of those suction starters from the gravel vacs to get it going or just suck a little and the flow will go on its own..your only ever going to have to do it once..when you clean the filters shut the pump off close the valves on both sides clean your filter reconnect and then open Val..the water will still have the pressure and it will flow right on into your canister...give it a few then turn the pump on and your good to go..honestly simpler is better...think about it, it's just another part that can break on the filter...honestly the classic line is awesome and will last..I bought mine used and it looks awesome and works awesome!! Look at it either way air bubbles will be trapped in the filter its going to be ok
easternlethal likes this.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 01:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by easternlethal View Post
It's a tad bit more concentrated in the aquarium. Those waterways get peed in too, but it doesn't give me any more incentive to drink from the toilet.
Lonestarbandit likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode