The Planted Tank Forum banner

Has the CFS 500 been made reliable and do you love it?

• YES! It is extremely awesome and I would give an unneeded spleen for another one.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • NO! It is without a doubt designed purely by the Chinese to enrage us and drive us mental!

Votes: 1 50.0%

Odyssea CFS 500 Canister Filter V2

7K views 38 replies 5 participants last post by  Lonestarbandit 
#1 · (Edited)
So. Yes I know there is a very old thread on here regarding this product but I was wondering has anyone purchased this filter SINCE all the upgrades or downgrades (power cord entrance point) and have the redesigned lid and hoses etc solved all of the breakage and leakage early models exhibited? :nerd:

#3 ·
I looked at them and considered one but changed my mind after reading the reviews.

#4 ·
They claim to have resolved all ills with the V2. I am just shocked no-one on here has tried one. Also I am a bit gun-shy to try one without anyone else having used one. Secondly I wonder if its too much flow for a 55.
I don't want to blast my yet barely established plants all across creation.

#5 ·
I think the reviews are probably making folks nervous about trying them. May take a bit for people to trust them again.

#6 · (Edited)
Well its been 6 years plus since it was introduced and subsequently updated.
I am tempted.....if anyone has one please speak up.
It looks like about 4x the filtering power of my Sunsun 302 which was fine but now is overmatched by the bioload in my community 55.
Also others using this type of canister filter say they only have to clean once every 3-4 months.
I'm cleaning the Sunsuns about 1x a month now.
Too much labor wife is getting irritated that the maintenance never stops lol.
If it isn't water changes its filter maintenance.

#10 ·
I actually looked at the Sun Sun and Odyssea and for a few dollars more with free shipping I decided the Marineland was the way to go. What size tank are you putting this on?

#13 ·
The marineland has 4 stages and I may be wrong but from what I read the sunsun has three.

#15 ·
Marineland comes in 3 sizes 2, 3 and 4 basket and sunsun I believe is only 3 yes you are correct on that.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

#14 ·
Got it a few years back, I think I have the V2.

Final opinion: Strong, quiet filter with long maintenance intervals. I love it. Originally the covers were crap, but they fixed them.

It's still a bit of a challenge to get them to stop leaking after taking them apart. You don't want to tighten the screws too much, and you want to do it very evenly. When it runs, the cover is sucked against the canister, so it is tight. When the power goes out, or you disconnect the filter, there may be a bit of leakage. I have mine in a plastic bowl to catch any drips drops.

Now don't get me wrong, it won't drain your tank in a few hours, but there may be some dripping, perhaps depending on how tall the tank and the stand is, with the resulting head pressure. Just something to watch out for.

Back then they went for only $40, the bang-for-the-buck was amazing. Even $58 is a good price for what you get though.

#16 ·
Thanks for the information I would guess the design improvements are worth the additional cost!

#19 ·
Let us know what you think of it. I set my c-220 up last night and I dont know if it is my media configuration or what, and it could well be as I didn't use their instructions and installed what I wanted, but I really expected a little more flow out of it.

#20 ·
No, you probably did fine. I felt the same way at first about my 302's flow seemed as bit weak but over time and filter cleanings I found though it was less than I expected it was removing plenty of gunk from the water so it was sufficient.
In time I just adjusted my expectations on water output pressure.
I eventually purchased 2 more 302s and now the big brother 304B.
I believe as do others that manufacturer ratings are usually double true loaded with media outputs. IE my Sunsun 302 is rated around the same as your Marineland @264 and I would say it probably puts out 132GPH or so in real life operation.
This would explain your feeling that its a bit underpowered.
Manufacturer probably tests with brand new filter pads and no media.
We in real life have used but rinsed filter pads and loads of various media in the trays so our flow rate doesn't match up.
I believe my wattage on the motors for the 302 is around 18W which isn't a massive motor and I would bet yours is near to that.
I think you wont be disappointed in the performance of your Marineland just have to not expect fire dept hose pressures lol.

#21 ·
I will be watching it over time and see how it does. The tank I put it on is a 55 so it may prove to be underpowered and I knew when I bought it that it might be borderline but hey I am cool with that as I will just buy a larger one down the road and another tank for the C-220. I sure am glad my wife enjoys the fish lol.

#22 ·
My 302s are all on 55g tanks. Unless you way overload on fish and plants it's probably sufficient. I am way overloaded on one of the 55s hence the bigger filter purchase. I'll just throw the extra 302 relieved of duty on one of the other 55s to help out it's 302.

#23 ·
That tank I have the C series on is actually an un-planted Tanganyikan cichlid tank with a few dither fish but I am going to be doing some major fauna upgrades to it over the next few months. The fish I am going to be adding are going to increase the bioload quite a bit so I want it to be right. I may buy a sunsun to test it and see what I think just for the heck of it. I have been skeptical of the chinese stuff as so much of it is more hassle than it is worth in the long run. If you ever work on your own cars or motorcycles and have dealt with the chinese wheel bearings you know what I am talking about.

#24 ·
I have and I do. But Sunsun has never failed me. Watch that YouTube link in this thread for more info. I also because of the concern over Chinese quality decided to wait on the Oddysea filter as it was an unknown and go with what I know from experience works.
This is what I actually ordered.
Amazon.com : SunSun-China HW-304B 5-Stage External Canister Filter with 9-watt UV Sterilizer, 525 GPH : Aquarium Filters : Pet Supplies
Same design and same style as my 302s but supersized and uv added.

#25 ·
Do they make that filter without the uv or is it possible to remove the uv?

#26 · (Edited)
They make 2 versions of each filter model usually. One with and one without UV. The model numbers get a little confusing with 1st vs 2nd gen filters and various models sub branding. But short answer to your question is absolutely. Even the UV models you can remove the bulb though the glass fixture would have to stay. I may have been incorrect on the bigger models they ALL seem to come with UV while the smaller like I have already are sold without and with.
They even have a brand new version of my 302s that mounts the pump in the tank as part of the intake pipe and add a 4th basket. Not sure what benefit that brings perhaps more efficient pumping as it's not in the canister? It claims a higher GPH.
The 3rd gen stuff also has a different type of valves fitted and I wanted interchangeability with my existing filters so I ordered a first gen.
This is the 3rd Gen weird looking thing with pump on the intake tube:
Amazon.com : SunSun 5-Stage Canister Filter, 264-Gallon : Aquarium Filters : Pet Supplies

#27 ·
Dood I was thinking. You have a 2 section spray bar yes?
If you removed a section you would then increase the velocity of output if you were just looking to increase surface turbidity. Of course that isn't the same thing as increasing volume output but it would increase oxygen exchange by disturbing the surface more effectively?

#28 ·
This particular filter doesnt come with a spray bar. It has a diffuser. If I need a spraybar a little pvc doesnt scare me lol and I may go that route. My primary concern is dead spots in the tank. This filter is on a non-planted tank with lots of rock work so if I have dead spots the grunge accumulates in spots I cant vacuum. I had have good luck with my home built water polisher and I have a couple of spare powerheads so if necessary I can construct another polisher to put on that tank with very little investment.

#29 ·
Here is my take on the product. Odyssea has such a bad reputation in the hobby and you couple this with a 34% one star rating (the lowest) on Amazon, there is no way I would ever consider this product. I admit the price is right, but those two factors scare me off right there.

To put this is prospective, the Eheim Classic 2213 only gets 6% one star ratings. Granted the Eheim does costs twice as much so you'd expect better quality.

The bottom line is I don't think many people on this forum would consider the Odyssea, and they would buy something else.

It's been my experience that I'm always better off buying top quality equipment. This doesn't mean most expensive. It does mean that I only want to buy it once and I want it to last and I want to have replacement parts available.

#30 ·
I agree. Which is why I went with quality I know.
Ordered a Sunsun 304b due to my experience w 5 other of their filters is nothing bad at all ever happened.
Though I am sure even @525gph rating it wont match what that pond pump in the Oddysea can push.:surprise:

#31 ·
Or thought I knew.
As it was posted elsewhere the tolerances aren't as tight as on their smaller filters and it DEFINANTLY buzzes hums and vibrations I can feel come through the floor.
So I guess this is the price you pay for more horsepower.
On the plus side massive baskets more of than I need and UV but this vibration and noise.....
I'm not sure I can live with it.
It may go back to Amazon unless someone can confirm on a 304b/cf500 this is normal.
So far, sunsun oh what have you done....
Sounds like one of those noisy HOB specials

#32 ·
Update better now.
Tore it apart silicone greased the shaft and the area the back impeller blade touches and the magnet and it's much better but the hum is still there. Perhaps that's just a 55 watt motor and that's that?

#33 ·
You can try putting the filter on top of a thick piece of foam. Sometimes the aquarium stand can act as a sound board, making the whole thing seem louder.

Naturally, after an experience like you had, everyone else that owns some other brand of filter will tell you something like.... You should have bought [fill in name of brand they use] and you would have never had a problem (grin - just teasing)

#34 · (Edited)
Sure sure especially since I am a Sunsun Fanboy they will have no mercy lol!
Thing is I have 6 other ones that are dead silent.
I could just be spoiled. None are the size of this beast however so I am perhaps comparing apples and oranges.
Supposedly this model pushes 525 an hour.
Thats a monster compared to 265 and 200 gph filters.
IE a 55W motor vs 18W and 12W motors stands to reason I would get some hum. (Also wonder what this is going to do to my elect. bill lol)

Its not in the stand yet as I would have to pull the 302 out of the cabinet and replace it with this which I am not ready to do until this one beds in a bit with the preseeded media.
I don't want a mini cycle.

#35 ·
Decided to keep it as water output is phenomenal for price.
Ordered a new impeller just for giggles for 10 bucks maybe this ones just off balance or something or maybe it will become magically quiet in a week or so as others have stated happened for them who knows.
Massive media space and power guess I will just have to live with a little buzzing.
Given the reliability of my other Sunsuns I will keep the faith.

#36 ·
You bring up a good point. For certain good features you sometimes have to put up with some not so good "features".

This is way I cringe when someone asks a question that starts with "What is the best ...". While their may be the best for that one person, that best item might be complete wrong for sopmeone else, even if they run similar tanks. There is no "one size fits all" and you need to consider each individual system.

#37 ·
Back in town so I can finally chat a bit more :)
The trays on the SunSun 304b do look exactly like my AquaTop CF500 trays.
To the best of my memory, my CF500 made very little noise. Again, subjective. Also, my filter is inside a very sturdy stand with solid doors. There's also all the little other sounds associated with the other tanks in the room. So, it "could" have had a nice 55watt hum and I just did not notice it.
For the $10, it would be worth in to grab another impeller and put it in. It will either be better or the same (hopefully not worse).

As for the media trays, I used several layers of aluminum foil tape with waterproof adhesive to minimize the gap on the third tray from the bottom (the one with my filter floss in it). It seemed to make a noticeable difference in keeping the fine particles IN the canister and not getting blown back into the tank or dumped on top of my biomedia.

#38 ·
I did order a impeller but canceled it. Had to return the filter. Water kept getting in the UV light so problem solved. Ordering the 704B tomorrow.
Claims a 2016 Model same gph for 10 watts less electricity than the 304B and has the magnetic safety switch for UV.
Think it might even have a handle but I forget.

#39 ·
Model 704B ordered hope that Sunsun utter failure of the 304B was a fluke we shall see.
If it is now the standard and that hot mess was indicative of the new quality standards I shall be forced to renounce my Sunsun Pimpmanship.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.