120g filtration - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

120g filtration

Is one Eheim 2217 enough for a 120 gallon tank? I have plenty of powerful powerheads available to help increase flow, but am wondering about biofiltration capacity.

I've been reading through journals and it seems that many folks use two canisters on this size tank. I'm redoing the tank with a new substrate and hardscape. I always had problems with detritus accumulation in the past, though part of that may have been due to poor plant health.

O_o
/ /_______________________________
| BWAAAH IMA FIRIHN MA LAZER!!!!!!!!!
\_\
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 10:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

The flow rate on it seems small to me. I'd be worried about not getting enough water in contact with the bio media inside of it. Then again, it seems to be rated for a tank larger than what you have. I would, personally, go with another filter depending on bio load. It's a tough call. I'd look for chimes from other eheim users.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 10:27 PM
Planted Member

i would get 2 if i were you.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 10:30 PM
Planted Member

For a larger tank, I think two is always best.

First, you can't have too much filtration. Second, you can clean one without disturbing the bio field of the other. Third, in the event of a failure (unlikely but who knows??) you aren't in a panic, as the one can suffice for awhile.

On mine I have three, but I keep a heavily stocked tank.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 10:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I just got my first 2217 this week for my 40b. It's got pretty good flow but I don't thinks it's anywhere near enough for a 120. To me 2 sounds like the best option.

Just a noob
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 10:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I've discussed this before it's interesting when you compare Eheim filters to for example Fluval. The 2217 has a GPH of 264 and it's recommended for tanks up to 160G and the Fluval 406 has a GPH of 383 and is recommended for tanks up to only 100G.

Eheim obviously believes in the efficiently of biological filtration whereas Fluval is more about large flow. I do believe Eheims are marketed to planted tanks much more than Fluval. Fluval is more about fish only tanks, where fish presence is usually heavier and you need to move more waste out of the tank.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks for the input all. I definitely want to get a second filter now - if it helps prevent detritus and DOC accumulation (a huge problem with this tank's prior incarnation) it'll be worth it. What models are comparable to the 2217? Want to keep my options open.

O_o
\_\
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 02:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
yeah, another filter would be a good idea
what is your budget?

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

40 gallon LED fixture
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Was hoping for something close in cost to the 2217. I don't mind investing in quality, but some of the high-end Eheim models seem to be a bit over the top with various features...

O_o
\_\
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 02:38 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

This is not as simple as it seems and my short answer is "it depends".

Can you get away with one? A person with your experience, yes. But I bet you will end up with 2.
Check out Eheim 2075.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 03:15 AM
Algae Grower

I ended up going with 2 Fluval 306 canister filters because I already had one from an old 55 gallon tank and to get one big enough would have been like $300. So far I haven't regretted it. I guess the only thing is the unsightly hoses in the back but I don't mind it as much. I probably should have put them in the corners. I find with 2 they are rated higher for a 140 gallon tank and can push more gallons per hour than needed. Also this way its filtering both sides of the tank at the same time for greater coverage.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 05:33 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelrodi202 View Post
Is one Eheim 2217 enough for a 120 gallon tank? I have plenty of powerful powerheads available to help increase flow, but am wondering about biofiltration capacity.

I've been reading through journals and it seems that many folks use two canisters on this size tank. I'm redoing the tank with a new substrate and hardscape. I always had problems with detritus accumulation in the past, though part of that may have been due to poor plant health.
Hi,
You may want to read this excellent article about filtration and on the advantages to running more than one filter especially for a tank of your size. It's quite a long article with useful info but if you want a quick read, scroll down to section on canister filters.

Aquarium Filtration | Filter Types | Advantages & Disadvantages

Best of luck
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 05:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I would go with Two Eheim 2217's.
This way you have same filter material (foam pads),same part's,and I would buy extra set of media,extra impeller shaft,impeller, and O ring that seals the unit.
Will be well prepared for most issues.
Not sayin the part's mentioned wear easily (they don't) just some comfort and ability to get the filter back online quickly.
I run two of the eheim 2217's on 80 gal planted tank and flow drops off a bit after you fill the canister with media and dirt begins to accumulate.
Is same for all filter's.
My two cents.
Axelrodi202 and Filet-O-Fish like this.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 08:21 AM
Algae Grower

Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
I would go with Two Eheim 2217's.
This way you have same filter material (foam pads),same part's,and I would buy extra set of media,extra impeller shaft,impeller, and O ring that seals the unit.
Will be well prepared for most issues.
Not sayin the part's mentioned wear easily (they don't) just some comfort and ability to get the filter back online quickly.
I run two of the eheim 2217's on 80 gal planted tank and flow drops off a bit after you fill the canister with media and dirt begins to accumulate.
Is same for all filter's.
My two cents.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by No.92 View Post
I ended up going with 2 Fluval 306 canister filters because I already had one from an old 55 gallon tank and to get one big enough would have been like $300. So far I haven't regretted it. I guess the only thing is the unsightly hoses in the back but I don't mind it as much. I probably should have put them in the corners. I find with 2 they are rated higher for a 140 gallon tank and can push more gallons per hour than needed. Also this way its filtering both sides of the tank at the same time for greater coverage.
Could you elaborate about the unsightly hoses? Tank will have a background so anything outside of the tank wouldn't be an issue.

roadmaster, you bring up a great point. I guess I'll aim for a 2217, though I'll have to see what the local LFS have.

O_o
\_\

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode