The Planted Tank Forum banner

Reviews on fluval g3/g6?

83K views 232 replies 38 participants last post by  supert 
#1 ·
l'm thinking about getting me a g3 and was just curious as to how it performs and if it's worth the $$. Also how the water flow is strong/slow, how clean it keeps the water and etc.. Thanks!

#4 ·
l did that's the only source i've gotten i'm just trying to get more than 1. lf it's not that "great" then i guess imma have to stick with a good eheim. l'm just really excited over getting me a g3 since it's all high tech and more convenient. i'm setting up a 48g rimless and i'd appreciate any other suggestions in case l don't end up getting me a g3. thanks guys

#5 ·
Yup tech wise its sweet I would like some comparisons vs Rena, Eheim, Sun so on and so on hehe. Good luck on the search I tryed all the sites I know nothing about it :/.

#12 ·
It's not insane in my 46g. I would highly recommend the G6 over the G3, More flow, more media room, for maybe $50 more. It's almost a no brainer. Remember that as the plants grow in they're going to block and slow a lot of the flow anyways.

Also, the outflow is split into two nozzles. That already cuts down on any blow-the-plants-over jet stream factor.

#9 ·
Why can't you install a ball valve to lower flow? Also I had a xp3 on a 24gal tank for a few weeks flow wasn't to powerful with some diy lily pipes. But If I was you I would go for the G6 send the extra cash its always better to have more flow.

#10 ·
l've always used a hang on the back canister filter for my larger tanks such as a magnum HOT 350. l'm just less experienced in dealing with hoses and how to regulate them. i'll have to check that out heineken. l appreciate the info and if i ever decide to get a larger tank, well my g6 would be perfect than my limiting g3.

#11 ·
If the G6 also comes with a spraybar, you could increase the size of the holes with a drill. Lots of ways to control flow. I just think the G6 is a better buy, even if you don't need that flow. The larger cartridges will increase the time prior to needing to be serviced. as well as maximizing replacement costs.

I'd consider the G3 a viable option if it was a few hundred dollars less...but it's only about 10% cheaper then the G6. The pricing scale of those things is so messed up right now. I don't really see the point of the G3 currently.

#13 ·
Damn well now l feel kinda retarded..... the only reason l didn't get a g6 is if i install a ball valve it would restrict it in a way and since everything is all computerized controlled it would probably tell the filter that it's clogged up or something and bring out some alarm about some restriction thinking it's the cartridges. And about drilling the spraybars, wouldn't that void my warranty if something were to happen and i'd have to return everything back? Also l'm putting ada nile sand and didn't want there to be too much agitation and stir it up. l still haven't used the filter or anything tho... l wonder if i can exchange it for a g6....

#16 ·
Spraybar is a piece of plastic. You can make your own, or purchase various kits online to replace or change the way your system deals with flow. You need only match up the hose diameters. Tons of choices and options.

Water movement and flow control are one thing that is not dependent on manufacturer. It's only dependent on your DIY skills, or how much money you're willing to spend to get the result you want.

This page shows you just a few quick examples.
http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/fish-supplies/aqquarium-plumbing-supplies/ps/c/3578/10090

#18 ·
Spraybar is a piece of plastic. You can make your own, or purchase various kits online to replace or change the way your system deals with flow. You need only match up the hose diameters. Tons of choices and options.

Water movement and flow control are one thing that is not dependent on manufacturer. It's only dependent on your DIY skills, or how much money you're willing to spend to get the result you want.

This page shows you just a few quick examples.
http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/fish-supplies/aqquarium-plumbing-supplies/ps/c/3578/10090
wow nice. l never bothered looking into that section of dr foster and smith. i'll have to check it out for my next upcoming projects.

rated flow rate is 265 GPH, definitely not excessive for a tank that size.
l'm just so used to going by the numbers and well since i'm not a tester at the companies for the rated water flow, l don't have an idea of what's too little or too much for a tank my size. i've read a couple articles about how much turnover you should have and such. Anyways thanks you guys for the advice.

#19 ·
The G3 is $439 and the G6 is what $479 or something? Basically when at that price... it seemed silly to get the G3.

The G6 has a lever on top for shutting off flow. It can be used to reduce flow on the unit as well, I run mine at about 80%. It is also how you shut off flow for maintenance.

Did the first maintenance on it tonight... wow, I want one on every tank, holy crap that was easy.

The pleated filter is a pain to clean because its kind of small. I wish it had a power switch, with all its fancy crap, and no power button...

Its awesome being able to just pop out the cartridges thought, I wish my magnum was that easy to clean.

Lastly, the filter holds a pretty obscene amount of biological "nodes" as they call them. I was adding them to the filter thinking to myself, this could replace a freaking wet/dry on a fish only saltwater tank...

#20 ·
lol yea l could of gotten the g6 maybe it was a stupid decision getting a g3 but hey i'm not too down, i mean it's better than getting a power filter(l have nothing against power filters). How big is your tank by the way? actually i got my g3 for 399 and the g6 is currently 450.

#21 ·
Well I would say this. It kinda like buying a new car model the first year. It's always better to wait for the second year model so they can iron out the bugs. Just a thought. New technology needs to be put to the test first before it is good. As for finding reviews, why don't you type in fluval g3, g6 reviews in a search engine and see what comes up. I'm sure that somebody has put out a review someplace.

#23 ·
Just checked out the G6 at my (not so) LFS... looks like a good filter for the $400 asking price.

Really like the idea of the expansion port.. going to be a no-brainer for Fluval to do a heater module in the future.

BTW, for those wondering, the flow can be reduced quite substantially before triggering
the "low flow" alarm.

#26 ·
Just checked out the G6 at my (not so) LFS... looks like a good filter for the $400 asking price.

Really like the idea of the expansion port.. going to be a no-brainer for Fluval to do a heater module in the future.

BTW, for those wondering, the flow can be reduced quite substantially before triggering
the "low flow" alarm.
I just wish it had the stream and flow options of the Eheim Pro 3E series and it would have been perfect! :eek: May end up with a couple of Pro 3E's in the next 6 months though.

Criag

#24 ·
cool now that l did not know. l'm kinda kicking myself for buying the g3 but l don't plan on having any tanks larger than what the g3 can't handle for a while so i'm not that upset. but thanks to all who replied so far.

#28 ·
Can anyone tell me more about the expansion port? It isn't mentioned on their website or manual?

Adding a heater would make me much more interested in these filters. A UV module too would seal the deal.

#29 ·
oh a uv would just be asking too much :p but l would be very happy. l'm read they're doing a expansion port but lost the link. google might be able to help you more than what l could. l'm prob just gonna buy the uv seperated.

#32 ·
Ok I found the expansion port quote

From Practical Fishkeeping interviewing Hagen's category manager Robert Reid.

"Nevertheless, we have already installed a connection point that will enable us to add an external G heater and it is already integrated to the HydroTech software. This will be the next step in the Fluval G Evolution and be one of the first add-ons."

So it sounds like the G's thermometer will control the heater. Hopefully he means external to the tank, not inside the tank but external to the filter with a wire going to the filter.

I like the "one of the first add-ons" bit - more coming.

#40 ·
From Practical Fishkeeping interviewing Hagen's category manager Robert Reid.

"Nevertheless, we have already installed a connection point that will enable us to add an external G heater and it is already integrated to the HydroTech software. This will be the next step in the Fluval G Evolution and be one of the first add-ons."

So it sounds like the G's thermometer will control the heater. Hopefully he means external to the tank, not inside the tank but external to the filter with a wire going to the filter.

I like the "one of the first add-ons" bit - more coming.
A couple of weeks ago I spoke to Hagen Tech Manger and I asked him about the G6 and Heater add on .... and he told me that there is nothing coming out (add ons for G6) any time soon. So maybe we see something in a couple of years :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.