The Planted Tank Forum banner

Filstar leaking??

833 views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  cjp999 
#1 ·
I finally got my 75g tank set up after weeks of prep.

Once I had primed my Filstar xp1 cannister filter, and went to plug it in, I noticed a lot of water surrounding it. I released the quick disconnect and examined the canister. At first I thought it was coming out of the power cord, but then I realized it's coming out of the whole motor assembly (top part the seals off the canister).

I'm borderline devastated right now and I'm not sure how to stop it. My best guess is that it has to do with too much water pressure. The water level is within 55" and the tubing is a little on the long side. What do you all suggest? I included a picture of the leaky spot below:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Not a big problem!!! :)

You just have to lubricate the two small o rings on the quick disconnect. Water is leaking around o rings into motor housing. I use petroleum jelly. Some will say petroleum jelly will attack rubber but, I've been doing it for years. Oh and don't forget to tilt motor head towards the power cord to drain the existing water.

#4 ·
Not a big problem!!! :)

You just have to lubricate the two small o rings on the quick disconnect. Water is leaking around o rings into motor housing. I use petroleum jelly. Some will say petroleum jelly will attack rubber but, I've been doing it for years. Oh and don't forget to tilt motor head towards the power cord to drain the existing water.
Same experience here. After having this happen a couple times I have started using a tiny bit of petroleum jelly on the O-rings every time I remove and replace the motor housing. No problems since. You can get a replacement set of gaskets, O-rings etc. for a little over 10 bucks at Amazon so I keep an extra set on hand. You can get about any replacement parts you need for these filters.

#5 ·
Im 90% positive that it's leaking from the main seal (between the motor and the canister). I tried using petroleum jelly to seal it but that didn't work. It happens as soon as I move the lever on the quick disconnect down and the cannister is filled. However, it DOES NOT leak when I turn the cannister on its side (with water in it).
Also, I tried the petroleum jelly on ALL seals (including the one in suspect). It worked on the quick release and hoses, but the big seal still leaks

#13 ·
This is the issue I had. It took a while to develop, but eventually I could not maintain a seal, and the quick release was damaged enough that it had to be replace. It doesn't help any that the Filstar tubing starts off nice and pliable, but as it gets older it's not very forgiving when you try to bend it differently. The result is you basically can't adjust your canister location or where the hoses run into or out of the tank without putting a lot of strain on the quick release.

#8 ·
Here's their newest suggestion, "If you notice a water line within the canister, the canister could have trapped air inside causing that pressure. Be sure to let the Quick disconnect gravitational siphon fill the canister so all air will come out. Tipping the canister slightly forward will encourage the air to go to the highest point for exit (the quick disconnect) as it fills."

I don't have a noticeable water line, but tried that and no luck....i really don't want to have to buy another

#11 ·
If it doesn't leak when you tip the canister on it's side it shouldn't be the main seal between the canister and the motor housing. If there is water inside the cavity on top of the motor housing in the area the quick connect mates to it is probably the O-rings. That's the only way water can get into that area. If it's the main seal it would just run down the sides of the canister, the top should still be dry. Inspect the area the quick connect O-rings insert into to see if there is any debris or anything else that could be making a poor seal. If the lever for the quick connect is somewhat hard to push down when reconnecting push the quick connect down into the motor housing with one hand while depressing the lever. The lever should move into place with little resistance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.