Marine Land Emperor 400...too much flow? - The Planted Tank Forum

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hoppy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Marine Land Emperor 400...too much flow?

I have it on a 60g tall planted and my fish are avoiding whichever side it is on.

I almost want to replace it but my water is crystal clear. I need to know if anyone has this HOB filter and if you have the same problem...

On the side note. the black Neon Tetras seems to like swimming against the flow of the darn thing ...I see them swimming vertically towards the top of the tank and peel off to the other side..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 06:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I'm using that filter on a 65 gallon tank, and have no problems with it. The flow rate isn't nearly high enough to bother the fish, and it does a good job keeping the water clear. In addition it should also be keeping the amount of dissolved O2 in the water higher.
thedood likes this.

Hoppy
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks. It just feels like the tank is lopsided with all the fish on 1 side.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 12:15 AM
Planted Member

I have a penguin 350, I had he same issue with too much flow. I cut a few pieces of filter foam, about 1/4" thick and 1/2" tall, and wedged it in the outflow on each side with the length being slightly larger than the edges of the outflow. The water cascades through the foam thus greatly reducing flow. Problem solved. I'm thinking of trying a less dense foam next because it reduced the flow so much there's hardly any surface movement. Not sure if the Emporer has edges on the outflow like the Penguins, but you get the idea. There's endless possiblities for securing the foam in place.

It's not the floss type of filter foam, it's far more coarse than that. I doubt filter floss would hold the shape. I got my filter foam from Big Al's Online but you can get it from many places. I'll post a pic of the fix as soon as possible.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 12:27 AM
Doesnt Abide

You can also add a sponge pre-filter and get the added benefit of reduced filter media changes and additional bio and mechanical filtration. It will slow the flow some, the denser the sponge the slower the flow will be.

75G Dirted Low Tech
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12...doods-75g.html

20H Dirted Low Tech with DIY Canopy/Cooling System
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12...ml#post9380497

10G Low Tech Shrimp Tank - Archive
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12...ml#post8341313
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 12:39 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedood View Post
You can also add a sponge pre-filter and get the added benefit of reduced filter media changes and additional bio and mechanical filtration. It will slow the flow some, the denser the sponge the slower the flow will be.
I have a pre-filter sponge on my 350. I started with it on there so not sure how much it reduced the flow. On my 72 bowfront the pre-filter didn't reduce the flow enough for my fish to swim comfortably in front of the filter. When the prefilter is nice and filled up with organic matter it does greatly reduce the flow however. Just not enough to keep my Amazon Frogbit from being taken under the water.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode