The Planted Tank Forum banner

Expanded clay pellets

7K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  CrypticLifeStyle 
#1 ·
I was looking for ideas other then additional support means for substrate in shower caddie planters, and wondering if dwarf sag can grow healthy in Expanded clay pellets which is what i have growing in them? I have Flourite, pool filter sand, and play sand on hand as well if those would be better being mixed in. Or is the clay not going to save much on weight?

#4 ·
Hmm, thank you guys. I guess now i'm wondering if i try it out as i see a local hydro shop selling 10L of it for $10- should i fill the voids with sand so the roots dont become susceptible to rot? It's a substrate/plant question was unsure of where to post, but the first question was substrate related, which brings me to other concerns lol

#6 ·
Yeah, i saw the riparium planters, and saw these shower caddies for $2.50 each. I'm at work so dont have pics but heres my craiglist post, you can see the caddies in use. I did a little modding with quilting template, and hot glue.

http://worcester.craigslist.org/pet/3577002966.html

I bought bigger ones with some other ideas, (DIY addict) but with them being bigger, weight on the suction cups will be a concern. Was thinking magnets, but before i do that route was thinking of trying the clay pellets, so i guess i'll pick up a bag, and see how it goes with a sand cap/flourtite cap. With Geo cichlids like that one in the ad pic, you can see why i'm finding alternatives to ground level planting. They dig the whole tank up lol Thank guys :)

#7 ·
  • Is there a place where you can buy this clay supplement in bulk or do you have to get it from some sort of fertilizer/chemical company?

• I have some research to do, but what is the EXACT type of clay everyone is talking about?

I'm still relatively new to fertilizing & supplements for aquatics.

• BTW, you can get those plastic caddies for $1 or less.

#11 ·
The clay pellets have all sorts of little nook and candies for the roots to grab hold of and propagate. Since It's an inert substrate you'll be better off with larger particles / more water flow as the roots will be getting all if their nutrition from the water column.

#12 ·
I thought that place was for growing the skunk grass.

I'll have to look to see if the DT stores still have those caddies in stock.

I drive by that hydro store all the time when I drive into 24hr zone.

• 10 liter bag of those clay pellets is (12 lbs)?
I'll have to step inside this "hydro" store to take a closer look at these pellets since I have to talk to my butcher to see if I can borrow his paddywagon after he clocks out of work.

Thanks for the info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.