Texanus Cray - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By DMAXNAZ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Texanus Cray

I was thinking of moving these into my 20G, but worried they might go after my RCS. After a few months my RCS are finally reproducing and I don't want to stop that. Has anybody housed these together? Also is there anything else others have gotten their Texanus to eat other than shrimp pellets? I tried peas the other day and they didnt touch them. I've also tried a few other varieties of bottom feeder food with no luck.
BettaBettas likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 01:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

I don't know about Texanus specifically but it's hit and miss with crayfish. If you really want to put yours in with shrimp make sure you can still get him out if things go south.

10 Gallon Planted Shrimp Tank
Blue Diamond Neocaridina
Tangerine Tiger Caridina
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 02:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah, I haven't heard much in particular of the C. texanus species of cray. Just found this and it says they are "a bit more mild in behavior than Cambarellus patzcuarensis"
Species Spotlight: Cambarellus texanus ?Brazos dwarf crayfish? | Invertebrates by Msjinkzd
So chances sound pretty good that they will get along.

But as many say, crays are hit or miss, as it seems people have differing experiences and it is said it depends on the crays individual personalities. Some have kept CPO's and other self cloning dwarf crays with shrimp and had no problems, but there are also others who had them not work out well.

Guess the only sure way to find out is to try it. Make sure the cray has some shelter and be ready to take him out of the tank if he is causing problems.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I have them with some ghost shrimp now with no issues, but the ghosts are larger. In fact the ghosts bully the cray when it comes to grabbing pellets.

What are others feeding these cray. I have tried zucchini and peas with no luck. Even a couple kinds of bottom feeder wafers. What do these lil guys like?

So I did a good cleaning of the tank these guys were in last weekend. Two crays disappeared as well as two ghost shrimp. Then one cray died. So I now have one cray left with four ghost shrimp and one amano. Do these crays kill and eat each other? They are in my spec 5 which has no place for them to hide either. Very strange......

Last edited by Darkblade48; 02-06-2016 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 07:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

From what I've read, they should not kill each other. People usually can have a tank full of them. They may fight/square up/spar and pull off a claw, leg or antenna, but killing should not happen or at least be very rare.

Are you sure you are not seeing just a molt? The crays will eat their molted exoskeleton to regain the nutrients. It is possible that a cray molted and while it's new exoskeleton was still soft, the other cray attacked and killed it while it was vulnerable. The cray and others could have feasted on the dead cray. I have heard of some cases where a male and female would mate and after, one would kill the other. But again, from the info I have read on this species, they are actually a very peaceful one for crays. Although the lack of hiding areas, might have caused them to fight, with no territories to claim, so the crays always saw each other as a rival and no hiding places to hide/get away. Stress from improper set ups (stress from lack of hiding places/territories, can potentially cause abnormal aggression (seen in fish behavior scenarios as well).

I haven't had these dwarf crays, but had large ones (Cambarellus clarkii) and they can certainly climb out of the tank (even if the water is healthy, maybe my case was because it was too crowded). They will venture out, dry up and die (they can crawl pretty far on land). Not sure if this happens with the dwarf crays as well.

Again, some have kept crays with shrimp with no problems, and some have problems. So it is possible the crays may have got a couple ghost shrimp. They just might have no attacked them at first from being new and stressed, or they ended up getting hungry.

Or maybe they all died for some other reason? (improper water parameters?)

Can't say for sure, but these are possibilities.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Here is a pic of the tank. I'm sure the last one that died wasn't a molt. They have molted before with no issues. I just noticed when feeding them that they weren't coming out anymore. That's what prompted me to pull the wood out and look underneath. The spec 5 has a rectangular cutout in the lid, but they wouldn't really have a way to get to it to escape. Water parameters are perfect. Unless they dug down into the substrate, they just disappeared. I never had a shrimp go missing before I had them either.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160116_170349.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	584962  

20G High
Fluval Edge 6G
Fluval Spec V
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 08:10 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMAXNAZ View Post
Do these crays kill and eat each other? They are in my spec 5 which has no place for them to hide either. Very strange......

I've been looking into these guys for a bit and from what I've read the no hiding places sounds like a problem (everything I read said have more hiding spots than crays if possible), they're soft for a bit after they molt, if they're fighting over lack of safe defensible hiding places and one has molted he's gonna lose that fight and get eaten.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 10:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Add some thick clumps of moss or subwassertang to break their line of sight.

RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112

Cryptocoryne farmer
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 05:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

From the pic, the layout seems two dwarf crays would have their space.

But I guess if one cray molted and was still soft when the other cray happened to venture near, in search of food, but attacked the vulnerable cray, he might have killed the other. However I think there would be some traces of remnants, but they may be small and blend in fairly well. Ghost shrimp probably were snacks.

Or there is something wrong with the water parameters, maybe causing a direct death (whether poisoning) or death by failed molt, and the corpses were dined on by the other inhabitants (yes some can die and not all, depending on how healthy this or that individual is).

Not saying these happened, just some possible causes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode